CTS-V top speed? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, CTS-V top speed? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; 163 on a stock V here. [YOUTUBE]lCP7RqcQukw[/YOUTUBE]...
    CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

Re: CTS-V top speed?

163 on a stock V here.

[YOUTUBE]lCP7RqcQukw[/YOUTUBE]

TGrits10 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 STS, Black/Tan

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical_Ice View Post
    doubt it. seems like we're drag limited to 163. it's not like it's really pulling at redline in 5th
    How far does the power drop off between the RPM you'd see with 3.42's and the RPM (redline) you see with 3.73's? I know the V's aero leaves a lot to be desired, but 400hp has got to be good for 170 anyway. Anyone have the Cd and frontal area figures?

CTSV_510 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by TGrits10 View Post
    How far does the power drop off between the RPM you'd see with 3.42's and the RPM (redline) you see with 3.73's? I know the V's aero leaves a lot to be desired, but 400hp has got to be good for 170 anyway. Anyone have the Cd and frontal area figures?
    cd is 0.31

bpitas is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS-V

The CTS is a brick aerodynamically. The really flat, vertical rear end is terrible for aerodynamics - the price we pay for the "stealth fighter" look.
    At least the designers tried to put a bit of "rear defuser" in the back bumper, but it's not enough to do much...
    When thinking about aerodynamic drag, it's not just about frontal area, you also need to think about how the shape of the car leaves the air after it's gone over the car. If you think about airplanes, birds, etc, they all taper to a point at the end, and our cars do the exact opposite. I remember reading somewhere (maybe it was "All Corvettes are Red"?) that most cars up until the 90s were probably more aerodynamic going backwards than forwards!

qqik4u is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V

^^^^ you are correct as I learned as being an Aerospace Engineer . As you allow time to diturb the airflow you must also alow it to get back into its stream forward and aft. Hence the airfoil is designed that way in the wings of an aircraft. But anyway DRAG is a big factor in higher speed. Just my $0.02

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

doubt it. seems like we're drag limited to 163. it's not like it's really pulling at redline in 5th
    You need to get out of Houston. I pull fairly well to redline in 5th. It's redline limited.

If you do heads and cam and beef up the valvetrain, you could nudge up the rev limiter and hit 170...

I wouldn't exactly call the 300 SRT-8 a model of aerodynamic efficiency and they can hit 170 easily...

Quote Originally Posted by bpitas View Post
    When thinking about aerodynamic drag, it's not just about frontal area, you also need to think about how the shape of the car leaves the air after it's gone over the car. If you think about airplanes, birds, etc, they all taper to a point at the end, and our cars do the exact opposite.
    All of this is covered by the drag coefficient, no?

Drag is based on the density & viscosity of air, the frontal area, the drag coefficient, and velocity^2 right? Not that it follows the equation perfectly, especially on the ground where that surface throws all kinds of other stuff in. I dunno, I could be missing lots of things anyway, I hated Fluids, and I've had time forget what I did learn. In any case, I need to look up the equation, find the frontal area, plug the numbers in, and see what comes out...it will be interesting, whatever the results.

Cowan480 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

155 with no prob for me... W/O maggie..

Mystical_Ice is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1959 Cadillac, 1980 Cadillac,Former 2005 CTS-V; now a 2009 V

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    You need to get out of Houston. I pull fairly well to redline in 5th. It's redline limited.

If you do heads and cam and beef up the valvetrain, you could nudge up the rev limiter and hit 170...

I wouldn't exactly call the 300 SRT-8 a model of aerodynamic efficiency and they can hit 170 easily...
    i'm not going to lie, i've never redlined in 5th, simply because i'm too scared. but at the same time, i've seen half a dozen "top speed run" videos, and spoken to people that have done it, and it definately seems like the car 'crawls' up to 163.

also, i've seen, in person, bone stock srt8s dynoing over 370HP at the tires. how many Vs do that stock? no wait... how many Vs do that with a full exhaust and tune? M5s do 210mph, and they only have 100HP more than us. by that logic, we should be able to, with heads, full exhaust and tune, to do close to 200!

V-Love is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV(killed), 2005 CTSV(killed that too).

I have hit limiter stock. DarthVader has 166.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ly-run-my.html
    Post #4 avatar

I don't know how to insert old post into new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by V-Love View Post
    I have hit limiter stock. DarthVader has 166.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ly-run-my.html
    Post #4 avatar

I don't know how to insert old post into new ones.
    That thread from 4 years ago got farther than we have, but the question still hasn't been answered. Oh well.

atdeneve is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

i'm not going to lie, i've never redlined in 5th, simply because i'm too scared. but at the same time, i've seen half a dozen "top speed run" videos, and spoken to people that have done it, and it definately seems like the car 'crawls' up to 163.

also, i've seen, in person, bone stock srt8s dynoing over 370HP at the tires. how many Vs do that stock? no wait... how many Vs do that with a full exhaust and tune? M5s do 210mph, and they only have 100HP more than us. by that logic, we should be able to, with heads, full exhaust and tune, to do close to 200!
    By that logic, you are totally neglecting the gearing factor. M5s have 7 gears, all of which are usable to attain their top speed. The V is effectively two gears short of the M5 in terms of high speed acceleration. For the V, the gearing in 6th gear is just too tall to pull at those speeds. We will not approach anything near 200 without huge amounts of horsepower. Either that or a change in gearing - shorten 6th gear or increase 5th. Even then, you'd still need more power to do any kind of meaningful pulling beyond 170+.

Seems like Darthvaders a bit confused. We aren't electronically limited to 163. We're red line limited - gearing. And that's in 5th gear, not 6th. We will not pull at all in 6th gear. We do have a fuel cutoff, however, we won't even hit that without some huge gains in horsepower and/or gearing changes.

MikeNice is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): Cadillac cts-v 2006

i've personally done 160+ while racing an 07 gt 500 shelby mustang, 08 saleen mustang,(both have upgrades for 14+lbs of boost) and BMW M3(stock)...we did a poker run from one car cruise night to another accross town...i won. i am happy to say the V/// and my abilities as a hardened criminal has given me a slight edge,... as losing wasn't an option...2nd place is the 1st loser! btw the saleen claims his clutch was slippng and the gt500 hung with me the whole time but musta caught sum wind up his skirt. the m3 ...well its just an m3. lol

bpitas is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNice View Post
    i've personally done 160+ while racing an 07 gt 500 shelby mustang, 08 saleen mustang,(both have upgrades for 14+lbs of boost) and BMW M3(stock)...we did a poker run from one car cruise night to another accross town...i won. i am happy to say the V/// and my abilities as a hardened criminal has given me a slight edge,... as losing wasn't an option...2nd place is the 1st loser! btw the saleen claims his clutch was slippng and the gt500 hung with me the whole time but musta caught sum wind up his skirt. the m3 ...well its just an m3. lol
    New E92 M3 or the older E46 one? If you beat the newer one what mods do you have? Just curious - the new ones are supposed to be pretty sick!

-B

Quote Originally Posted by atdeneve View Post
    We do have a fuel cutoff, however, we won't even hit that without some huge gains in horsepower and/or gearing changes.
    Just for clarification, that refers to 6th and not 5th, right? i.e. at redline, way past power peak, the car can still pull beyond 163 in 5th. How much farther is anyone's guess, though it seems Darth Vader has upped the rev limiter enough to hit 166.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.