Differential leaking
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Differential leaking in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; My "driveway floor" inspection has let me identify a small leak in the differential. It looks like one of the ...
    6104696 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Differential leaking

My "driveway floor" inspection has let me identify a small leak in the differential. It looks like one of the seals where the axle go onto the housing; right hand side, I think. 350 miles.....

Anyone else have a similar problem? Do the dealers even have parts available for these things yet....or will they just put in a new differential? Maybe I should wait to see if they revise the differential to fix the clunk....as suggested in the Robert N's note on the FAQ????

Doug

(this note was pasted from the roadfly board; seems to have gotten quiet over there.....)

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

globed70 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: Differential leaking

Take it in and let them fix it... you have now publicly acknowledged that you have seen oil leaking. I don't expect an immediate change for the clunk... otherwise Vipers and F-bodies wouldn't have a clunk.

Dreamin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 V

Very common problem on the vette... wonder if it's the same diff? Most likely it's just the gasket...

Thanks for the legal advice...though I was looking for something more of the technical nature. But, in case you are an EPA inspector or if the EPA is monitoring this board, rest assured that I am taking reasonable steps to control and correct this potential environmental hazard.

Unfortunately, after a more detailed inspection up on the rhino ramps, it seems clearly the right side axle seal. Housing gaskets and drain'fill plugs all seem sound, as does the front seal. I was hoping to avoid taking it in and having the shop drop the exhaust and tear everything apart....such is life.

I didn't realize that the V has a getrag rear till I saw the name on the housing....
    D

globed70 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Doug,

My concern was not oil pollution, only that if you waited and enough oil leaked to cause damage to something on the rear.

Good luck,

Dan

Dreamin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 V

Make sure they do an alignment if they have to take you rear suspension apart

soon to V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

How did you make out here since I think I may have just joined your club? FYI, I just posted a new thread.

as noted on the other thread, the dealer replaced an axle seal. no muss, no fuss, no problem.

Doug

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.