Mallett V
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Mallett V in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; www.mallettcars.com Check out the V price list.. Probably the most comprehensive list of aftermaket components so far. The prices are ...
    lasstss is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Mallett V

www.mallettcars.com

Check out the V price list.. Probably the most comprehensive list of aftermaket components so far. The prices are entirely out of my league but perhaps not for others.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CVP33 is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

Re: Mallett V

I can afford the Koolsox sparkplug wire insulators for $29 but not the labor to install.

I'm sure Mallet will find many takers at those prices. His reputation is very good as an LS1 tuner and well deserved. I'm sure he'll sort out the V before many others.

Cal
    Cal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Only thing on there worth buying at this point (imo) is the headers, not a bad value but if they are custom you don't know what the level of quality really is, making it kind of a toss up. If Kooks came out with them you'd know they were good, and a lot of testing had been put into it.

I try to stay pretty tame with my criticism of Mallett, but to be honest the fact that he has all this stuff out within a short amount of time tells me he is NOT putting in the proper amount of road/track testing on his stuff. Installing turbos on a V? I'd wager good money your car would be the first one getting that 5 figure upgrade.

Corsa is only now planning on releasing their cat-back exhaust, that is a company that actually cares about quality control, as far as I am concerned. Lund, Mallett, and others are racing to have the most stuff out for the V with no R&D time put in.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it sure seems that way to me. It's almost more frustrating than it is exciting, since I do not want to stick some parts someone hacked out in a shop in half a month on my $50k performance car, as tempting as it may look.

CVP33 is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

While Mallett's experience has been mostly with Corvette bodied LS1's I do think that he's done a good job bringing parts to the market. His stuff has always been pricey so that's no surprise.

lasstss is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Cal, I agree totally. From my 6+ years with my 96 Impalass. There was all kinds of scrap that came out in a hurry. Only a few were well thought out. Let the buyer beware! Im pretty comfortable that Corsa is wrestling with drone and trying to make sure the system is 'right. I didnt have a good experiance with Borla. Good materials, fair quality.

M396 #00-011 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Cal,

I have to disagree. Chuck has been working projects for a long time w/ GM. He was the first to offer performance products for the C5 when it came out. It's the same thing here.

Why, because he's had a CTS-V to play with for a lot longer than you think. Little perks of working closely w/ Powertrain engineers.

b4z
    b4z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Standard SrX grey/black

Didn't Mallet work with GM on the "V" prototypes,
    and even wanted to do the production in house
    much like SLP did with the Camaro SS?

GNSCOTT is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Gotta have alot of F-U money to go there. I thought the $4500 for a 4 point roll bar was extremely high considering the last 10 or so 10 point cages i've talked to people about before installing in my Buick GN all cost under $3k. Maybe i'm missing something though.

Cal

The shift kit was a little pricey but with the core it still comes down within 1-200 swing of the Hurst kits etc.

The headers are overpriced as well considering Kooks is now planning in the $850+ range.

No offense to Mallett in fact I called and spoke to a nice lady when ordering the shift kit, but his stuff is overpriced for what it is. His upgrade to a 427 engine is about normal price (can get it done cheaper other places, of course) but other than that his prices from what I could see were on the high side. Not to say it's not good parts, but other companies are spending a lot more time perfecting singular aspects of the modifications than Mallett, and charging less. See my point here?

Silver Baron is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2

Hello everyone,

When going for aftermarket parts you will always have to compromise three factors.

Available - Price - Quality/Name

Example:

You want something really Quick for a low Price, it will most likely not be a high Quality product from a reputable Name.

On the other side, if you want reputable Quality/Name and Quick it will not be the lowest Price.

And if you want good Price and Quality you will have to wait a bit longer.

That's just the way it is. Take your pick.

Cal,

I won't argue, Mallett's prices are usually a little higher than elsewhere, typical if you want high performance parts before anyone else, and for a limited run vehicle. But I don't think it's fair to say that Mallett is rushing parts out the door.

Mallett builds cars, not just parts. The Mallett V isn't just a CTS-V. It's an overall package that addresses every major component of the cars abilities. A big motor will do you no good without traction. Speed will do you no good without brakes, etc. When the car is finished, it's a transformation that imphesizes the good points, and addresses the weak ones. A total "BALANCED" package persay. The fact that it will be in the N.A.D.A. book under Mallett speaks volumes. I bet there won't be another tuner that does that.

Granted as time moves on, there will be better parts available as more testing is done with the car. But I guarantee you that no one, and I mean no one, has spent more time developing parts for the V. Like I said before, Mallett had a V long before we knew what it was.

You've got to pay to play, and Baron easily summed it up.

GN,
    I hardly think welding in a cage in a GN/regal/MonteCarlo is anything similar to welding one in a vette. Look at other vette cage pricing and quality levels before your quick to judge.

Cal

Quote Originally Posted by M396 #00-011
    Cal,

I won't argue, Mallett's prices are usually a little higher than elsewhere, typical if you want high performance parts before anyone else, and for a limited run vehicle. But I don't think it's fair to say that Mallett is rushing parts out the door.

Mallett builds cars, not just parts. The Mallett V isn't just a CTS-V. It's an overall package that addresses every major component of the cars abilities. A big motor will do you no good without traction. Speed will do you no good without brakes, etc. When the car is finished, it's a transformation that imphesizes the good points, and addresses the weak ones. A total "BALANCED" package persay. The fact that it will be in the N.A.D.A. book under Mallett speaks volumes. I bet there won't be another tuner that does that.

Granted as time moves on, there will be better parts available as more testing is done with the car. But I guarantee you that no one, and I mean no one, has spent more time developing parts for the V. Like I said before, Mallett had a V long before we knew what it was.

You've got to pay to play, and Baron easily summed it up.

GN,
    I hardly think welding in a cage in a GN/regal/MonteCarlo is anything similar to welding one in a vette. Look at other vette cage pricing and quality levels before your quick to judge.
    I am not saying his parts aren't good for what they are I am saying there is almost no possible way he is doing the intensive diagnostics that a company like Kooks would be doing, for instance, on headers. Mallett is most likely creating headers from a die to fit, and then deciding whether they are 'good' via dyno and road miles. As someone mentioned he pulled the headers off their package because they were too loud inside the cabin. Okay, that's fine. But a company like Kooks who ONLY builds headers is going to have the high priced machinery to fine tune their product. If Mallett had dynos and fabricating equipment and tuning/diagnostic pieces for everything he built the guy's shop would be worth millions in hardware alone. That's all I'm saying.

My main gripes are:

1) his kit makes you buy into 16k worth of stuff most of which is brakes (???) and suspension (double ???) which are both superb on this vehicle

2) on the same token, his kit only gives you about 71hp (stated on their site) with heads AND headers?

3) his other prices for labor on add-on parts are marked up severly over standard LS6 tuner costs

A premium shop is a good thing, no doubt, and I am glad that he is working on parts for the V, but I still think he is putting out an overall lower-quality product due to pushing out such a variety of custom-engineered stuff in a matter of 5-6 months (or even 7-8 months if you want to go that far.)

For $16,500 I could do a 427cid and full airflow (intake/headers/cats/cat-back) and still have about $4500 in my pocket to bet on black. My 14" Brembos would still stop the car on a dime, and the FG2 suspension would still allow me to outhandle any car in my class (or $50k above it).

So forgive my cynicism, I think some of Mallett's stuff is reasonable (shift kit, which I ordered, and his engine upgrades) but I do not think he is the God of all that is CTS-V.

TNT V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Talking Re: Mallett V

Quote Originally Posted by Cal
    For $16,500 I could do a 427cid and full airflow (intake/headers/cats/cat-back) and still have about $4500 in my pocket to bet on black.
    Whoa, Cal....I want the name of this place.

Sorry Cal, but I'm going to have to call you out there. Name any place that will install a LS1/6 427ci w/ headers, and all the other goodies for $16,500, $12,000, or even under $20k in a new CTS-V??????????

At any rate, if the $16.5k he comands for the Mallett V isn't worth it to you, then that's fine. Take $16.5k of your own money, piece meal your V together, then run the two on a track, say Putnam Park. I have a feeling you'll be stearing at the back of his ponytail all day long.

BTW, who said Mallett made their own headers. I'm pretty sure he didn't. That kind of stuff is normally contracted out to other manufactures under his specifications. I would guess Corsa or Stainless Works made it for him.

Son't let the word Kooks go to your head. They make a very fine header. But I doubt, although as soon as I do they will say differently, that their header is not super-fine tuned for the CTS. In fact, other that fitting, it will be a normal 1 3/4", 30-32" primary equal length 4-1 header similar to the C5 header. Nothing to special about that, is there?

Mallett's install cost have always been high. That I can't argue with.

As for being CTS-V god? No, but currently, he's as close as it gets.
    Do you know of anyone else with a 435ci supercharged, intercooled CTS-V?

Cal

I'll call tomorrow and double check, then let you know. I did post that off the cuff based on #s a tuner told me, but what the f do I know, I'm just a guy with a car.

When I talked to Mallett on the phone (Chuck) he said he wasn't producing a lot of the headers because they custom cut them and couldn't produce a lot (don't ask me, he said it). I am sure this will change as companies come out with them. The girl I talked to about the shift kit said headers were not available on their own.

I'll gladly show everyone dyno #s and receipts once the proper pieces come in and I am putting down (far) more than 400 at the wheels for under $6000.

A 435ci blown V doesn't interest me terribly, if I wanted to put down 700 at the wheels I can think of less expensive cars to do it in.

For the type of driving I do the car will always outperform my ability, and probably will for most any driver. Like I said, put the Mallett V with it's 10-12k in suspension and brakes against a V with stock suspension/brakes and $6k in engine/air work and I'd wager big money the latter comes out the victor in both drag and road settings. Anyone with cash to burn feel free to take me up on it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.