Cadillac Owners Forum banner
3K views 34 replies 10 participants last post by  rgd 
#1 ·
Ok fellas, i've got a little cash i want to burn before Summit in May. I've got the hotchkis sways and SS brake lines ready to install. Debating on one of two options. #1 - FG2 upgrade along with GC Coilovers, OR #2 GM cross drilled rotors along with Hawk Pads all the way around. Which would you guys think would be "better" for the track? I'm going to get one or the other now, and then just get the rest when I get back from Afghanistan next Fall.... along with a cam, UUC Flywheel, and MAGGIE!!! can't wait... constructive advice/criticism appreciated! thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Definately #1 will gain you more at the track.

#2, the cross drilled rotors are a cosmetic mod. The hawk HPS's don't brake as good as stock. Buy them for less dust/wear only. HP+'s would be better for the track, but they will be a bit squeeky, and only dust a bit less than stock.

You are only going to start running into brake issues if you have *REALLY* sticky tires. What tires do you have?

If you'd like the suspension to be more taught all the time, then go GC and QA1's, or consider KW's.

Once you are experienced enough (not sure where you are in that dept), going to DOT or race rubber is a HUGE upgrade.

-Chris

#4 ·
Definately #1 will gain you more at the track.

If you'd like the suspension to be more taught all the time, then go GC and QA1's, or consider KW's.

Once you are experienced enough (not sure where you are in that dept), going to DOT or race rubber is a HUGE upgrade.

-Chris

...and of course it's the more expensive option too!! :) looks like i'm coughin up some cash.. Luke I'll be calling you tomorrow :)

#3 ·
Thanks for the post, I have been trying to decide the same thing. I just purchased the steel braided brake lines, but was wondering if I should do suspension mods or more break mods before the track day.
I most always agree with Chris's opinion and again here I like what he has said. I think I will be looking at doing the same thing!

#10 ·
:D Thanks.

The brakes on this car are pretty damn amazing, all things considered.

If you start running into issues, the easy thing to do is upgrade the pads, and swap to high temp fluid (motul 600) which is pretty darn cheap, and that will get you a LONG way. After that you can go to some Ti shims, braided brakelines, and some cooling tubes.

Honestly though, the suspension, or even more the tires will need attention before the brakes.

My next upgrade, now that I've got the tires and the brakes pretty much squared away, will be suspension work.

-Chris

#5 ·
Ditto on the suspension parts first.

Especially, if the brake 'upgrades' consist of only the cross drilled and the Hawks. You'd just be better off tossing the stock rotors back on for the track and swapping in the cross drilled for the streets (i.e., for the looks). And get em cryo treated.

#7 ·
cool, now as for the gc's on the gc website there are 3 different options... street/reg.. hot rod caddy/+.10, track performance/+.25, i'll mainly be on the street but try to go to a few track events, so i'm thinking hot rod caddy/+.10 ????

G
#8 ·
I bought QA1's and GC from RGD on this site. I have not installed them and was thinking that I'm not going to either. I kind of like the soft cushy ride of my stock suspension. I'll sell them to anyone who wants them, just make an offer. 4 QA1 rebound adjustable shocks, GC kit with one set of track springs.

#9 ·
I bought QA1's and GC from RGD on this site. I have not installed them and was thinking that I'm not going to either. I kind of like the soft cushy ride of my stock suspension. I'll sell them to anyone who wants them, just make an offer. 4 QA1 rebound adjustable shocks, GC kit with one set of track springs.
PM sent

Altohg with a 4k cam install almost done, plus I just purchased track rims and tires, my budget is pretty much blown, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

-Chris

#11 ·
FG2's are a mandatory mod (unless you are going with the KW coilovers).
If you don't have them, what are you waiting for?

FG2 (with stock springs) is very comfortable and cost effective and thus the best compromise.
I don't have my KW's on yet, but will know how they fare eventually.

Stock rotors, pads & F1's are great.
No need to change them untill you are really ready to push the V harder on track.
At which point you will want track pads & tires.

#12 ·
Go suspension. Stock shocks suck and must be replaced whether you race or not. Brembo brakes are already stupendous. Besides, you only need enough brakes to match revs on down shifts!!! You can just get the shocks and an aggressive alignment for now. See how you like that and decide if you need more spring and a lower ride.

p.s. keep your head down and no heroics.

#13 ·
so i have to get an alignment if i upgrade the shocks? hmmm.... the gc coilovers are adjustable, what's the most common setting everyone uses on them, low, lower, lowest??

#14 ·
(bump) any ideas to my last question? getting ready to place my order with the fg2's and "hot rod caddy" gc's unless someone can sway me otherwise?? and i'm assuming i need to get z06 endlinks also??? anything i'm missing? please let me know. thanks fellas!

#15 ·
You definetly want to get an alignment.
1.) you are taking your suspension apart (& possibly changing ride height)

2.) you probably want more performance oriented settings now

FG2 w/ GC is a great setup. :thumbsup:

If you can stretch your budget by another $500 get the KW Coilovers
KW's are double adjustable, where FG2 are non-adjustable.

Personally I would do

FG2 w/ stock springs (bang for buck)

or

KW (best of all worlds)

#17 ·
Ground Control sets you up with threaded sleeves to allow adjustability in height, as well as stiffer springs. It can be mated up to whatever shocks you'd like (i.e., FE4, FG2, QA1). The shock damping/valving will determine how stiff of a spring you can go with. The available spring rates are 500/550, 550/600, or 600/650. You can, of course, obtain springs with higher rates through Eibach, however, you'd be running QA1s, as the stiffest the FG2s can handle are the 600/650s.

FG2 shocks, Gound Control kit, and Hotckis sway bars will run a bit over 2 grand. I think that's comparable to the price of the KWs, which include all of those components in a package. There just aren't as many KWs out there, as they are a relatively new introduction. Would like to see more reviews on that setup. Either way you decide, you'll be satisfied with the handling upgrade.

#20 ·
thanks for the info lunarx, right now i'm opting for the fg2s, just ordered.. might wait on the gc's, not sure yet.. i'll see how i like the ride with the fg2s and stock springs, if i need more than i'll go with the gc coilovers in a few weeks... i think the kw's would be a better bet if i went to the track more often??? this is my DD, except for when it's snowing...

#21 ·
My vote would be for suspension. I drove an '05 over the weekend and it felt like a slushbox in comparision to my V with the KW set-up.

#24 ·
Ernie,

You crack me up. When in the heck are you going to install the KW's?

BTW, my buddy at KW is looking to buy a V. How cool is that?

Dave

#25 ·
I hit some bumps in Mod Hell that pushed my KW plans back a bit. :banghead:
One by one I'm getting things resolved.
KW's should be happening soon. :yup:

I think it's great your buddy want's a V. :thumbsup:
What better sedan is there?
I love mine (when the clutch works).

#27 ·
Ernie,
I touched base with Miles today, he checked on pricing and got back to me this afternoon. I had some additional questions that he was not able to answer but we thought you might know since you have the kit. Would you mind if I gave you a call? PM me with your number or I can give you mine if you would prefer.

Thanks,

Andy

#30 ·
where do you get zo6 end links?

#34 ·
Thanks, will do!!

#35 ·
Even though I no longer have the V I will add my .02.

Brakes: Don't worry about them until you start out-driving them. In other words, brake fade.

IMHO all you need is good brake ducting and new pads. I found solid rotors with good pads (Raybestos or PFC1) stop great with zero fade. Raybestos are a lot eaasier on your rotors though. PFC1 have stonger initial bite. Almost too much for a heavy car like the V, I liked the even stopping power of the Raybestos.
If you waant to add two piece rotors that can't hurt. Expensive at first then new rotors without hats not that bad. ($175)

I was running QA1 with GC coil overs. 750# front springs and 800# springs on the rear. IMHO great suspension set up that way. If there are adjustable sway bars available now all the better.

If you ca afford Penske shocks get them. QA1's worked fine but could have been better.

Enjoy your sweet rides!

rgd~out

Ps. Still miss my V but getting used to the Porsche and I like it too! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.