Wheel Hop.... - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Wheel Hop.... in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I love 90% of what the V does and doesn't do. However, let's ALL be honest here. The V is ...
    CVP33 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

Re: Wheel Hop....

I love 90% of what the V does and doesn't do. However, let's ALL be honest here. The V is supposed to do a 4.6 sec 0-60 time but it cannot and will not in stock form that IS a problem. Either back up the claim or remove it from the advertising.

There is video on the Cadillac website showing a V being launched with unbelievable wheel spin. Can anyone duplicate this? Not sideways, but straight? I can't, nor can anyone that I have talked to online. Again, why show the V doing something it can't?

The automotive press is aware of the problem as seen in R&T and quoted from AutoWeek below:
    However, launching this CTS-V results in some serious axle hop; it almost feels abusive.
    "Almost"? It positively is abusive and will surely reduce the lifespan of the rear end and chip your teeth if you're not careful.

Now you ask, what do I expect GM to do? My answer is nothing? Absolutely nothing. I expect that GM will shy away from the 0-60 claim, quietly remove the tire shredding video that the V can't possibly duplicate, offer a $1,000 partial remedy (shocks) and do what big corporations normally do in cases like this. Wait until we as customers get so vocal that they MUST do something.

The V is a great car. It's a great $50K sports sedan. It's a excellent competitor and an American alternative to an M3 or M5. But the reality is it can't do 0-60 in 4.6 secs and it won't burn the rear wheels off the line. The emperor has no clothes. Nothing to defend or explain it just can't do what GM said it would. Plain and simple.

And I'd still buy another one in a heartbeat.

Cal
    Cal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

I had no wheel hop at all at the track. That includes a 30mph U-hairpin and a lot of other tight corners. The car did break loose a couple times but that was my fault, I got on it before I was straight out of the apex. For what it's worth.

I don't attempt track driving on city 90 degree street turns, but I have only ever experienced the wheel hop when I get on the throttle hard in 1st and 2nd (not so much in 2nd lately). That may be due to the tires, I couldn't say.

Since I got the Michelins I have only experienced the hop when I TRIED to recreate it at the request of you folks. Other than that just a couple slight TC fishtail incidents in the rain. Keep this thing away from the water.

Then again I don't do any stoplight drag runs really, just rolling stuff on the Parkway.

lasstss is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I do agree with all on the prowess of the V in general. It is indeed a great car I love driving it. HOWEVER, I shouldnt have to pay $1100+ to get the rear to sit still. My 24K Impalass didnt do it. The problem is not dragging the car, which would be nice. What Infuriates me is that I cant even land second gear without it sounding like a bucket of bolts dancing around,that is just plain unacceptable. For the lousy 3500 that they made something needs to be recalled in the rear,weather it be shocks, bushings, springs or all 3. Its a small thing, do it right.

jeffgtx is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Should we consider writing a polite group letter to someone we know will read it? not a complaint, but a hey, we feel this is a reasonable request...

by the way... i havent pushed my car enough to get what you guys get. i do lose confidence in some turns, but i wont formally complain until i have michelins on it and they dont remedy the problem.

i do agree about the 4.6 claim. remember all the pre-release articles said 'we have no reason to doubt that claim' and now they all seem to have found reason.

GNSCOTT is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

The only time I can spin the tires with no hop is when I cut the wheel hard. I find it weird that it happens to you coming off a corner.

Vrocks is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

- My V has yet to exhibit wheel hop on the exit of a tight turn in dry conditions but it definitley occurs in the rain when the car starts to slide. - My C5 [2k2] vette had the base suspension 4spd auto and EMT's and I never experienced wheel hop wet or dry.
    - I also think GM's advertised performace figure on the 0-60 time is "optimistic".

CVP33 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

Optimistic = Falsehood, misrepresentation, prevarication, fib, mendacity, deception, untruth, invention, distortion, equivocation, fabrication, fiction, misstatement, deceit, exaggeration, dishonesty, mistruth, misinformation, also known as LIED.

StealthV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer

Quote Originally Posted by CVP33
    Optimistic = Falsehood, misrepresentation, prevarication, fib, mendacity, deception, untruth, invention, distortion, equivocation, fabrication, fiction, misstatement, deceit, exaggeration, dishonesty, mistruth, misinformation, also known as LIED.
    Kind of like the new "Hemi"

benjet is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by 5CTRVET
    I will admit that I am not into drag racing my V but I have experienced the dreaded wheel hop while coming out of some sharp corners on the local road course! It is quite unsettling to have the rear end start hopping around while exiting a decreasing radius turn at 60+ mph. So as far as tuning for the twisties...I disagree to some extent.
    Ok I know this is an older thread by now but I managed to get on a road today while the car was warm/hot the tires were warm/hot (and the outside temps were mild/cold - DRY). I could get the wheels to hop (without ever stopping - meaning no drag style launch manuvers) in 1st, 2nd and 3rd in both straights and corners, and I was NOWHERE near the limits of what I'm used to doing in other (front engine rear drive) IRS cars of similiar hp/wt that I have had some seat time with (on this very same road). I did not feel I was even anywhere near the limit of adhesion for what the car/tires should be - I certainly wasn't even at those speeds.

The problem is getting worse for me, are my tires just wearing down?

I was going to try to hop in 4th but I'll need to find another road

-Ben

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.