New"V" with a Couple of Questions/FYI's
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, New"V" with a Couple of Questions/FYI's in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Background: 1. Got my new V last Friday 2. Silver/Black/No Sun 3. First GM in 20 years 4. Last GM ...
    soon to V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

New"V" with a Couple of Questions/FYI's

Background:
    1. Got my new V last Friday
    2. Silver/Black/No Sun
    3. First GM in 20 years
    4. Last GM was 83 Chevy X-11 (First performance car after the 70's?)
    5. Perhaps in terms of significant events; "The V is finally an American brand with competitive world performance"!
    6. Now 625 miles, Oil change at 500 (last night), lots of tiny shavings on drain magnet - new K&N oil filter
    7. Past serious Mustang autocrosser, last 10 driving years in modified SHO.
    8. Like winter fun with snowmobiles that do triple digit speeds (It's a motorsports thing)
    9. Know SHO like the back of my hand
    10. Now (re)learning how to properly drive a very different and faster car!
    11. ...not to mention how to post to this (or any) forum!

1. Don't have much time (as most of you I'm sure)
    2. I don't worry about even "trying" to get much out of any dealer base (real product information wise), never met anyone in any dealership who knew anything about any car I'm ever interested in buying.
    3. along those lines: Found this forum very helpful
    4. Found this forum very addicting
    5. Found this forum very credible
    6. Major thanks to all contributors
    7. Thanks, Thanks, Thanks.

Questions:
    1. I trust this thing won't find its way into reverse if I miss 5th, Yes? Looking for peace of mind.
    2. Did I hear somebody say this speedo can recalibrate itself as necessary (like tire spec change)? Please confirm/deny.
    3. And depending on the above, is the speedo accurate?
    4. Haven't read up on service yet (too busy programming - Ha), any lubrication to do?
    5. Does the V have air conditioning cut out at full throttle?
    6. Is the Competition Mode only for traction and stability change, or are there other enhancements to performance?

More "V" story in post called: Thoughts and Impressions

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

miscreant is offline GM Connection

Re: New"V" with a Couple of Questions/FYI's

Quote Originally Posted by soon to V
    2. I don't worry about even "trying" to get much out of any dealer base (real product information wise)
    I'll make sure I avoid contributing to your threads then JK!...

never met anyone in any dealership who knew anything about any car I'm ever interested in buying.
    Hi, my name's Ron. Now we've met.
    2004 Cadillac CTS (**SOLD** ): http://www.ctsowners.com
    2004 Pontiac GTO: http://www.myyellowgto.com

benjet is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Questions:
    1. I trust this thing won't find its way into reverse if I miss 5th, Yes? Looking for peace of mind.
    2. Did I hear somebody say this speedo can recalibrate itself as necessary (like tire spec change)? Please confirm/deny.
    4. Haven't read up on service yet (too busy programming - Ha), any lubrication to do?
    6. Is the Competition Mode only for traction and stability change, or are there other enhancements to performance?
    1. Reverse is locked out once your forward motion (speedo) goes over 3mph. Try coasting along at 4 or 5 mph - on a empty private roadway - and ATTEMPT to get into Reverese (as you fall to <4mph - DON'T let go of the clutch! - while in reverse - that wouldn't be pretty).

2, 3, 4 and 5. Never heard of that, but maybe somone else knows?

6. Comp mode is just traction and stability contol. It is one of 4 Modes and in this mode the computer only kicks in to save your butt, only at the last possible moment (supposedly).

-Ben

Innocent Bystander is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Questions:

- The vehicle speed signal originates in the engine computer (PCM). Any legitimate tuner who knows how to recalibrate a C5 Corvette PCM should be able to do the same for a CTS-V.

- The speedo will be pretty accurate to whatever the PCM sends out. It'll never report higher than what the PCM sends and it'll be within a couple percent on the other side.

- The modes:
    1) Default mode when ignition is turned on - Traction control (TC) enabled, Stabilitrak enabled
    2) Tap the TC button once - TC off, Stabilitrak still on
    3) Tap the TC button again within 5 seconds of #2 - TC off, Stabilitrak on but allows more "looseness" before intervening.
    [ 3b) Another tap takes you to the default mode of everything on ]
    4) Press and hold TC button for a few seconds - TC OFF, Stabilitrak OFF

I've heard someone say the stuff about how the brakes are proportioned in different modes but frankly, don't remember the detail...

Note: ABS stays on in all modes.

Hope this helps.

IB

StealthV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer

Background:
    1. Got my new V last Friday
    6. Now 625 miles, Oil change at 500 (last night), lots of tiny shavings on drain magnet - new K&N oil filter
    8. Like winter fun with snowmobiles that do triple digit speeds (It's a motorsports thing)

Questions:

Background-
    1. Congrats on coming back the General with the V, the 60's definition of a muscle car - putting a powerful engine in a small car.
    6. Tiny shavings aren't unusal - noticed them on my LSx engines after 500 miles as well. Did you use the longer length K&N HP-2006 filter?
    8. Another sledneck here as well (I bleed green) - I'm already planning the coming winter season's weekends.

Questions-
    3. GM speedometer's are the most accurate of any manufacturer in the world. Car and Driver did a study in April 2002 with GM clearly the industry best. Most other manufacturers speedos report a higher MPH than actual by quite a large margin. C&D article here --> http://www.caranddriver.com/article....rticle_id=1906
    5. Don't know for certain, but it would be a safe assumption at this point that the A/C is cycled off at WOT. It is a LS6 afterall.

soon to V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Thanks people!

Re the K&N: I didn't know they had a long version. I thought it rather small - first perception.

To StealthV: Good article. We run Yamaha's, Viper, Venture, Exciter, Phazer. Can you guess which one is mine? Ha!

I love the new F Cats. Also love the zing and freedom you get on sleds. Much quicker than the V, and no speed limits (most of the time). Also a great family sport.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.