Rear axle pinion seal recall
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Rear axle pinion seal recall in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Does any one know if this includes the CTS-V? General Motors Corp. said Friday it was recalling about 313,000 passenger ...
    m32V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Silver CTS-V

Rear axle pinion seal recall

Does any one know if this includes the CTS-V?

General Motors Corp. said Friday it was recalling about 313,000 passenger cars and crossover vehicles to fix a fluid leak that could lead to the driver losing control of the vehicle.

The recall involves 275,936 vehicles in the United States, including the 2005-2007 Cadillac CTS and STS sedans, 2005-2007 Cadillac SRX crossovers, and 2006-2007 Pontiac Solstice and the 2007 Saturn Sky convertibles. About 38,000 additional vehicles are under recall in Mexico, Canada, the Middle East and Asia, GM said.

GM said the seal on the rear axle pinion, which provides power to the wheels, does not meet all specifications and could leak fluid. GM spokeswoman Carolyn Markey said the leak could lead to the drivewheel jamming up and locking while the vehicle is being driven, possibly causing the driver to lose control.

There has been one crash reported in which the rear wheels locked because of the leak and hit another car. In a separate incident, a driver reported an injury after moving around in the car as the vehicle lost control.

Markey said there have been "a higher than normal" number of warranty claims because of the problem.

The recall is expected to begin in February 2008 and dealers will replace the pinion seal free of charge. Owners may contact Cadillac at (800) 982-2339, Pontiac at (800) 620-7668 and Saturn at (800) 972-8876.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

enyo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Re: Rear axle pinion seal recall

Some guy in my office just e-mailed this link on yahoo about this - http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071221/bs_nm/gm_recall_dc

2 years and no issues but I think i'll drive it a little harder until I bring her in.

AmesCTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V

A friend just told me about this. Doesn't seem to include V's though??
    12 CTS-V | 12 SRX | 09 Z06 | 08 C6 Z51
    05 CTS-V | 04 GTO (Sold)

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

I would assume so.

Tried the phone # and it is disconnected!

m32V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Silver CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by enyo View Post
    Some guy in my office just e-mailed this link on yahoo about this - http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071221/bs_nm/gm_recall_dc
    This yahoo article specifically mentions the CTS-V and The STS-V for the recall.

It's hard to believe that the 4 cylinder Saturn Sky and Pontiac Solstice have the same rear end as a 400hp V-8 CTS-V. Maybe they'll make the rear end for the 09 CTS-V out of parts from the cobalt. After all, why mess with such a winning formula?

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

Here is a link for info:

http://www.getrag.de/en/259

StealthCTSVJJL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS V

Yeah V is in it check it out
    GM recalls 275,936 vehicles in United States
    Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:21pm EST Email | Print | Share| Reprints | Single Page | Recommend (2) [-] Text [+]
    1 of 1Full Size

powered by Sphere
    Featured Broker sponsored link
    $0 stock trades. 10 free per month. DETROIT (Reuters) - General Motors Corp said on Friday it is recalling 275,936 Cadillacs, Pontiacs and Saturms sold in the United States because of a fluid leak that could lead to loss of control of the vehicle.

The recall involves vehicles 2005-2007 model year Cadillac CTS, CTS-V and STS, STS-V sedans, 2005-2007 model year Cadillac SRX crossovers, and 2006-2007 model year Pontiac Solstice and the 2007 Saturn Sky.

GM spokeswoman Carolyn Markey said the seal on the rear axle pinion, which provides power to the rear wheels, could leak fluid, causing the wheels to seize and lock.

Markey said one crash was reported related to the problems.

(Reporting by Poornima Gupta, editing by Leslie Gevirtz)

StealthCTSVJJL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS V

Who knows this may lead to good things regarding the diff problems, at least they recognized one of the problems. The pinion bushing should be recalled and the TSB bushings should also be addressed as being defective and ineffective.

nikon is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05' CTS-V

mines already been replaced once or twice......wonder if they have an even newer part??

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by nikon View Post
    mines already been replaced once or twice......wonder if they have an even newer part??
    ^^^Yeah that.

Dealer replaced a dripping pinion seal after I got my first diff replaced. 'Tis dry now.

Wonder if I should take it in if it ain't broke?
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

OldRoadDawg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Guess I'll just keep motoring down the road with the 'original, 36K, quiet, non-leaking diff' in my 04.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

My question is if it doesn't involve '04s, does it involve replacement diffs from '05 on???

Holmes815 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 RAVEN BLACK CTS-V: FREEFLOW INTAKE w/K&N, MAGNAFLOW, CAGS

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    My question is if it doesn't involve '04s, does it involve replacement diffs from '05 on???
    Exactly, the replacements that might now need replacements!!!

James

NormV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Kooks,MOMO seats,C5 hubs,3489#

Looks like all V's.

Norm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Document ID# 2045695
    2005 Cadillac CTS

Subject: Front or Rear Axle Pinion Seal Leak (Replace Seal(s)) #07-04-20-003A - (12/17/2007)

Models: 2003-2007 Cadillac CTS
    2004-2007 Cadillac SRX
    2005-2007 Cadillac STS
    2006-2007 Pontiac Solstice
    2007 Saturn Sky
    2007 Daewoo G2X
    2007 Opel GT

This bulletin is being revised to update the VIN breakpoints called out in the Parts Information section. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-04-20-003 (Section 04 - Driveline/Axle).
    Condition

Some customers may comment that the rear axle seal is leaking fluid. This condition also applies to the front axle seal on vehicles equipped with All-Wheel Drive.

Confirm the condition following the Rear/Front Axle Lubricant Leak Diagnosis in SI.
    Correction

A new pinion seal is now available from GMSPO for service on the vehicles referenced above. It is similar in design to the new pinion seal used in production beginning with vehicles produced for the 2008 model year. It is not interchangeable due to some slight dimensional differences.

Replace the pinion seal with the new design seal, which is included in the pinion seal kits listed below with their applications. The kits include a new pinion yoke and pinion nut, which should be used when replacing the seal, using the procedures in SI.

When replacing the pinion seal, make sure that the pinion bore is free of excess fluid that could get trapped before the yoke is installed. Install the new seal and yoke promptly, before excess fluid seeps into the area. It may be necessary to drain some or all of the axle fluid to assure that the pinion bore remains free of fluid during seal installation. This should prevent the lube from being trapped behind the dust shield.

Note: If a vehicle has had a service axle installed that uses the new 2008 model design, it cannot use the pinion seal kits listed below because of dimensional differences.

A service axle that uses the 2008 production style seal can be identified by a casting number visible on the pinion cartridge casting immediately behind the yoke. On a rear axle, the new design casting number is 6457038590. On a front axle, the casting number is 6507022390. See the pictures below.

Rear Axle Pinion Cartridge Casting #6457038590

[

Front Axle Pinion Cartridge Casting #6507022390

If the vehicle has had a replacement axle that has a pinion cartridge with one of these numbers, the pinion seal leak should be repaired using the current production pinion seal (GM P/ N 25861283 for a rear axle, or GM P/ N 19132939 for a front axle).

Note: If the vehicle does not have front or rear drive module with a pinion cartridge as described above, it has the seal design used in 2007 and earlier model years, and should be repaired using the parts information below.

CTS-V only:

Seal Kit, Differential Drive

86 mm/Rear

All Cadillac CTS-V, STS-V

V-Smooth is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '06 Raven V [SOLD]

bigjimsho, valid question...supposedly they "fixed" the problem in '06 or whatever. I had my pinion seal replaced about three months ago. And about the '06s having less wheelhop...dont think so. I still get a the shimmy of death under hard acceleration. I figure if I blow the ass out it's covered, oh well.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.