Cadillac Owners Forum banner
4K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  sefa01 
#1 ·
Today I got new tires on the car. Much to my chagrin, as I was having the guy adjust the PSI, the gauges were reading the wrong tire. This seems to point to the fact that the sensors are TIRE SPECIFIC (since it didn't appear to re-learn the new tire locations...yet at least) which seems a little odd to me. I didn't have any warnings coming home where I hit 80+ mph so I don't think it's a BIG deal, but if I do have a blowout or PSI problems it will of course read the wrong tire.

So if this bothers you, make sure to mark your tires as you take em off to have the tires changed. For tire rotation I guess they have to take the tire OFF and switch it and re-inflate. Can anyone corrobrate this?

- C.

#31 ·
The tire pressure sensors are specific to the wheel position they are programmed for. That is why the programming sequence requires that the wheels be programmed in a specific order beginning with the left-front wheel. The computer assumes that the wheels will communicate in that order and sets the TPS display accordingly. If you move the wheels without reprogramming, the display will continue to show the correct pressure, but in the location that the wheel was originally in. If you program in the wrong sequence, the display will show the correct pressure but in the wrong position.

According to the factory service manual, you cannot use the magnet tool to initiate TPS communication on the CTS-V wheels. You must use the pressure change method (i.e., let enough air out to activate the signal transmission). Obviously, this is going to be a major inconvenience for anyone without a compressor.

For what it is worth, if you are paying to have your tires rotated, the car care people say don't bother. Supposedly the cost savings due to increased tread life is less than the cost of the rotations. If your rotations are free and you have no compressor at home, be sure to reprogram the TPSs then and there while you have a source of compressed air. In the case of the V's Goodyear EMTs, with a typical treadlife of only 10-12K miles, it is questionable whether rotation is worth the effort in any case.

If you are installing new tires, make sure the wheels go back on in the same location and you will not have to reprogram. This, of course, assumes that the tire changing gorillas don't damage any of your TPS sensors.

#32 ·
Harley Guy said:
My thought was that this could help solve my winter tire problem. I would have rims for the winters with TPS in them and have a set of spare summers when I run through the current pair. If something like this does not come through, I will probably take the tirerack package for about $1,800.
I have the TireRack rims (Mille Miglia MM-S) and I think they look better than the stock rims. TireRack, however, won't install the TPS. I bought the 4 TPS from www.gmotors.com for about $58 each (including shipping) and had the rims and tires shipped from TireRack to an approved installer. He then charged me $120 to mount and balance the tires and to install the TPS.

And before anybody asks, I'm not selling the stock rims and tires. The Mille Miglia rims are for my race tires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.