Rough Idle Question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Rough Idle Question in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I know from previous threads that the V runs rough at idle. However, recently I have noticed that I get ...
    Art138 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05CTS V

Rough Idle Question

I know from previous threads that the V runs rough at idle. However, recently I have noticed that I get an intermittent shake much like the AC compressor kicking on in a low compession engine car (spaced about 30 seconds apart); does not appear to be an RPM drop but sligh wobble on the needle. I only have 8,500 miles on the car so I discounted the plugs.....is this a normal trait of this engine????

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: Rough Idle Question

Quote Originally Posted by Art138 View Post
    I know from previous threads that the V runs rough at idle. However, recently I have noticed that I get an intermittent shake much like the AC compressor kicking on in a low compession engine car (spaced about 30 seconds apart); does not appear to be an RPM drop but sligh wobble on the needle. I only have 8,500 miles on the car so I discounted the plugs.....is this a normal trait of this engine????
    My first guess is that nothing is wrong. This engine shimmers occasionally. If it gets worse, my next guess would be a motor mount.

Art138 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05CTS V

thks, will keep an eye on it.....

DownSouthV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 cts-v I/C/H/E 423/390

Art... my car used to have a rather severe rough idle which did indeed to turn out to be a broken motor mount... Now i have all new motor mounts but i still feel as if my motor idles a little rough. I am going to take it up to the dealership soon and see what they have to say. I am young (20) so im still learning about the motor but my pops is a mechanic and the excessive rough idle worries him as well.

Naf
    Naf is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Hey,

Ok you guys seem to always jump to the worse stuff before lookin at the obvious.

You say you have 8500mi on the car, i would rule out almost all major components like motor mounts, they dont go bad that quickly.

If possible check your MAF sensor, make sure its clean. From there check the inside of your intake manifold. There might just be a bit too much gunk in the intake, where when its strugglin with the A/c it effects your idle.

I would then do a simple ignition check. Make sure the wires are fine, reading about the same amount of Ohms +/- 10-50 on stock is fine.

Then check the plugs, you may have a bad one, check 7 & 8...They normally spoil first.

If all that showes no sign of issues, then you think the motor mount, ot other hardware related issues. You know it may even be a bad o2 sensor. It is directly related to the engine function. You have to think from start to finish then consider surroundin hardware.

I always start from the air inlet and work all the way to the exhaust. If i dont see or find any issues then i work to other related issues that may cause similar symptoms..

Start simple then go complicated...You will find that 99% of the time its the simple things that go wrong first...

SuperV_Rob is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade, CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Naf View Post
    Hey,

Ok you guys seem to always jump to the worse stuff before lookin at the obvious.

You say you have 8500mi on the car, i would rule out almost all major components like motor mounts, they dont go bad that quickly.

If possible check your MAF sensor, make sure its clean. From there check the inside of your intake manifold. There might just be a bit too much gunk in the intake, where when its strugglin with the A/c it effects your idle.

I would then do a simple ignition check. Make sure the wires are fine, reading about the same amount of Ohms +/- 10-50 on stock is fine.

Then check the plugs, you may have a bad one, check 7 & 8...They normally spoil first.

If all that showes no sign of issues, then you think the motor mount, ot other hardware related issues. You know it may even be a bad o2 sensor. It is directly related to the engine function. You have to think from start to finish then consider surroundin hardware.

I always start from the air inlet and work all the way to the exhaust. If i dont see or find any issues then i work to other related issues that may cause similar symptoms..

Start simple then go complicated...You will find that 99% of the time its the simple things that go wrong first...
    Well Said

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Hey,

Well Naf, I might agree with you if we were talking about an older model car.

Based on my experience however, the MAF and spark-related electrics on modern unmodified cars rarely malfunction before 50,000k. I have three cars in my driveway with more than 80k miles on each - none have had any MAF or spark-related electric issues. On a CTS-V a motor mount is statistically more likely to fail than the MAF or spark-related electrics. Additionally, checking the motor mounts, is starting with the simple since they are easy to check - they are either leaking or they ain't.

Finally, the LS6 does have a normal intermittent "shimmer" at idle , which may be all that is going on here.

The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    Well Naf, I might agree with you if we were talking about an older model car.

Based on my experience however, the MAF and spark-related electrics on modern unmodified cars rarely malfunction before 50,000k. I have three cars in my driveway with more than 80k miles on each - none have had any MAF or spark-related electric issues. On a CTS-V a motor mount is statistically more likely to fail than the MAF or spark-related electrics. Additionally, checking the motor mounts, is starting with the simple since they are easy to check - they are either leaking or they ain't.

Finally, the LS6 does have a normal intermittent "shimmer" at idle , which may be all that is going on here.
    Darkman nails it again. An LS6 is a cammy motor- it's always going to have a little lope to it.
    Rest in Peace, J.D. (aka Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

trukk is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon

It is simple to determine if it is a motor mount issue.

When you turn the car off, does it shake for a quick second, almost like it's deiseling, or does it just immediately shut off. If it shuts right off, then no motor mount issues. If it feels like it's deiseling, then you have at least one shot motor mount. [Ask me how I know x 2]

-Chris
    2005 CTS-V:No Roof|T2+Eibachs|Corsa|UUC:Shifter, 2pc rotors, B-Lines, Motor/Tran Mounts, Diff Bushings|LPE CAI|FFV IntakeTube|Hotchkis Sways|Kooks 1.75 Coated LTs+cats|KARS III |Mamofied Fast90 + NW90|224/228 111+0 XFI/XE-R .609/.588+Dual Springs|ATI 25% UD Pulley|YT 1.7" UltraLites|Melling HiFlow OP|Cloyes Hex Adjust Timing Set|Lucas 42# Flow Matched Injectors|Katech LS9X Twin-Disk ClutchMustang Dyno Tuned (SAE): 412rwhp / 380 rwtq
    2012 CTS-V:No Roof|Wagon|M6|Recaros|Bone stock (for now)

sy1172 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS-V

Emabarrasing isn't it. Cammy motor, sure but come on, the shake is totally not necessary. Have your motor mounts checked. I had a bad one recently and it caused a worse shake than normal.

My other car has a 6.1 liter hemi at 420 hp and is Lexus smooth...go figure!

Mystical_Ice is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1959 Cadillac, 1980 Cadillac,Former 2005 CTS-V; now a 2009 V

hmm... mine usually shakes the whole car for about a second before it dies.

think that could be the motor mount? no other problems though during driving or anything

ScottR is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 2005 CTS-V

Great info guys. I just got my car this week and I noticed the "little jiggle" at idle and the car does shake after I turn it off. I was going to post this same question tonight...thought it just may be a normal trait of the V. Man I have missed being on the forums especially where people actually know what they are talking about. Thanks again.

CTSV_Rob is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)

Hey,

I think this is a good write up Naf and it is thing's that should be checked.

If you search back in threads there is a thread about PCV catch cans. The reason it needs it is because this is a high compression motor and some blow by is considered normal by our friends at GM.

It is quite possible the rough idle is normal but it could also be something in the intake or a motor mount.

If you want to ge this fixed (if it is a problem) you will need to trouble shoot yourself and then help the dealer with the problem. Seems rediculous but unless it's a hard failure they will quite often claim "this is normal operation" .

Since the excessive oil in the intake bugs the shat out of me I am putting a catch can on my V.

I realize I have a LS2 (and it's not a LS6) but I am happy with the slightly rough idle. Just reminds me that she want's to play once in a while.

Who knows, maybe she just requires a little spirited driving to blow out some carbon build up.

The car may not be carberated but it never hurts to start with the basics.

CTSV_Rob is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)

Quote Originally Posted by ScottR View Post
    Great info guys. I just got my car this week and I noticed the "little jiggle" at idle and the car does shake after I turn it off. I was going to post this same question tonight...thought it just may be a normal trait of the V. Man I have missed being on the forums especially where people actually know what they are talking about. Thanks again.
    Great Forum and I'm glad I became a supporting member.

ScottR is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 2005 CTS-V

Good point...def worth the $$$ from what I have seen, I'm in.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.