How is the V in snow with snow tires?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, How is the V in snow with snow tires? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I have had a V since Octoner 2004 with limited experience in snow. I have a new sales responsibility that ...
    Dave-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

How is the V in snow with snow tires?

I have had a V since Octoner 2004 with limited experience in snow. I have a new sales responsibility that will be taking me to Cleveland, Chicago and Michigan. How does the V do with 4 season or winter tires? I live and Louisville and the V does not handle the minimal amount of snow we have here with much grace. Do any snowbound Vs care to chime in? Any opinions will be greatly appreciated. My only other option is to buy a Cayenne, X5 or RS6. I would much rather keep the V. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo

Re: How is the V in snow with snow tires?

I'm wondering the same thing.
    Probably wont be too bad, once you get moving. Car has some weight to it.

nxlr8 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Platinum CTS-V

Buy a beater...
    Cheaper in the long run!

But... I don't have experience with the V in snow... so... not much help to ya here...

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

This just got beat to death a week or so ago.

Decent A/S tires (I have Avon Tech 550's) or snow tires, and you'll do just fine ... assuming you're not plowing with the air dam.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

StealthV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer

Behold the beauty of AWD.

ahahnu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 LS6 Stealth Grey

Definately get yourself snow tires. It makes a world of a difference. Even with them its still not too easy negociating around. Slow and steady, keep your rpms low. I keep a shovel in the trunk just in case as well as salt of some kind. The first two winters I didn't hav ethe tires and it was the worst experience ever. I live on a hill and trying to get home was nasty.

CVP33 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

Driving the V in winter is like having sex with your neighbor's cat

1)
    2)
    3)
    4)

Yeah, I don't know where I was going with that one either.

Chuck is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Coupe

Has anyone tried running snow tires on the back only or do most of you run four?

Thanks,
    Chuck

parexa is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I'd say no compromises, get a RS6, it owns the V in every aspect and its super fun to drive in the snow

Black Sunshine is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V

It can't be any worse than running my Impala in the snow with 600 RWHP and snow tires. I've driven him from Quebec City, Quebec to Edmonton, Alberta in Feb. Now that was a ride. Think it hit 65 below 0 on that one.

Definietly go with four snow tires. Avoid steep hills. Take your time. Trying to rush a >4,000# car thru the snow WILL put you into someone else or in a ditch. (and don't forget to flush the water out of your windshield washer and replace it with low temp solution.)

Ever notice when driving in deep snow how the "locals" go haulin ass by and then you see them all piled up two miles on down the road? It's always the locals.

JoeArlo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Get yourself some snow tires.
    Respect the car for what it is.

Snow tires provide a huge improvement, but the main differentiation in winter driving is the driver him/herself. If you understand the (over)capabilities of your vehicle - you will do fine. You need to understand your V in snow the same way someone with AWD must understand their car. Often people with AWD scare me the most because they simply take their vehicle for granted in poor weather conditions.

Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Has anyone tried running snow tires on the back only or do most of you run four?

Thanks,
    Chuck

I'm considering doing just the rears. Only because two of my tires are shot, and I dont wanna keep the RSAs anyway. That should be good enough for the few days we have snow on the streets. This way, I dont have to decided which tires to get till spring.

Jschmank is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 Silver CTS AWD

My V didnt see too much snow but I ran Dunlop M# DSST's all the way around. It did fine but you do need to watch yourself on turns. The back wheels will still break loose on shifting, especially around corners. It is a heavy car which is helpful.

KOster88 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-V View Post
    I have had a V since Octoner 2004 with limited experience in snow. I have a new sales responsibility that will be taking me to Cleveland, Chicago and Michigan. How does the V do with 4 season or winter tires? I live and Louisville and the V does not handle the minimal amount of snow we have here with much grace. Do any snowbound Vs care to chime in? Any opinions will be greatly appreciated. My only other option is to buy a Cayenne, X5 or RS6. I would much rather keep the V. Thanks in advance.
    I'm not sure how the do in the snow, but if you are interested I have a set of Snow tires for the V That I want to sell. They have less than 100 miles on them. Birdgestone Blizzak LM-22Z 245-45-R18. I bought these from a friend that works at cadillac. They were taken off a CTS-V becuase they certified it, and that required it to have the original run-flats installed. If you are interested in these make me a fair offer. I'm in Dallas.

Bob T is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I live in Indianapolis and drive all over the state for business. I have used winter tires for 10 years or so and it makes a HUGE difference. I bought a winter tire/wheel package from Tire Rack and am currently using Michelin Alpins wiht good results. I have used the winter tires on BMW 540s and Mercedes Benzs all with good results. It is definitely worh your piece of mind if you have to drive for business (gotta get there).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.