How is the V in snow with snow tires? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, How is the V in snow with snow tires? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; new guy posts twice sorry...
    Bob T is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: How is the V in snow with snow tires?

new guy posts twice sorry

pietroraimondi is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 07 SRX V8 AWD Diamond White Sport Edition & 08 C6 LS3/418ci

I think that most of these folks are saying that "with" four snow tires and ideal conditions; you can operate a large displacement rear wheel drive high performance automobile; "if you have too".

But you're talking about extended long term driving through the midwest in the dead of winter.

My bet is that you'll end up dead.

Snow tires or not; the suspension and chassis geometry does not lend itself at all to operating this type of vehicle in what might very well be the worst of weather conditions.

I would park the V and buy a 5 or 6 year old Jeep Cherokee 4WD for little money as possible given that you would only be operating it during your long winter road trips.

pietroraimondi is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 07 SRX V8 AWD Diamond White Sport Edition & 08 C6 LS3/418ci

Quote Originally Posted by CVP33 View Post
    Driving the V in winter is like having sex with your neighbor's cat

1)
    2)
    3)
    4)

Yeah, I don't know where I was going with that one either.
    Yeah, but you're pretty darn close!

ajedwardsjr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I live in the Washington, DC area, and we do not get a lot of snow, here. We get some, just not a lot.

Through last winter, on the original F1 Supercar Runflats, this car was virtually undriveable in the snow.

I am going to try this year with F1 All Seasons. Since I don't want to buy snow tires, I think that this can be a good option for me.

Feffman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Dave:

I drove the V through a snow St. Louis winter last year on snow tires and it was fine. Not like my previous all-wheel-drive car, but it does good none the less. This year I'm on all-season V rated tires so we'll see how that goes.

Feff
    www.MVPTrackTime.com

JMBCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS-V 2004 street, Cadillac CTS-V 2004 Race

When considering only rears; think what is more dangerous, not being able to accelerate, or not being able to stop or turn? I do not have enough $ to have a 2nd car and I have Dunlop M3 winter tires and it goes through the snow in Mich. with no issues.

end9472 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I agree. I also had the Dunlop Wintersports and they worked fine in the Chicago winter. I also put a couple a bags of tube sand in the trunk for added traction. Don't kid yourself, you need all four tires. Not only do they provide better traction due to tread design but winter tire tread compounds are designed for operation in lower temperatures.

I am dating myself but many years ago it seems everyone dealt with reduced traction and handling of a rear wheel drive car by taking it slower and understanding the limits of operating a car in adverse winter conditions. Bottom line - buy a set of winter tires, take it easy, and you should be fine especially if you are driving on mostly main roads. Start off in second gear if the conditions are particularly slippery. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by JMBCTSV View Post
    When considering only rears; think what is more dangerous, not being able to accelerate, or not being able to stop or turn? I do not have enough $ to have a 2nd car and I have Dunlop M3 winter tires and it goes through the snow in Mich. with no issues.

TaVern is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

You don't need "winter tires"...

You just need to learn how to drive in the winter.

My V has been in the snowy mountains of Utah and the snow-filled streets of Washington DC (And if anyone knows what a snow-storm in DC does, feel free to chime in and elaborate).

Point is, I've been fine. Even on stock tires. The manual transmission helps, and so does the weight.

Just drive the car with common sense. You'll be fine.

djmodifyd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade

well i just purchased some blizzak lm-22's, and its supposed snow here this weekend, so i'll get to test it out. but last week during some snow i couldn't go very far with potenzas on it!

thank god we dont have winter long snow cover...

My CTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by TaVern View Post
    You don't need "winter tires"...

You just need to learn how to drive in the winter.

My V has been in the snowy mountains of Utah and the snow-filled streets of Washington DC (And if anyone knows what a snow-storm in DC does, feel free to chime in and elaborate).

Point is, I've been fine. Even on stock tires. The manual transmission helps, and so does the weight.

Just drive the car with common sense. You'll be fine.
    Eh, depends how much snow you get...I'd never be willing to drive this car in any decent amount of snow without snow tires. I tried in Boston with a couple BMW's and it didn't drive for sh*t with summer tires. On snows, it made all the difference in the world. If you can afford a dedicated set, get them, period.

nspharmd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

just had a pretty good sleet/snow/ice here in illinois and my V ran great with my new michelin alpines. You will be just fine with 4 snow tires, just don't drive like a moron. I looked into all seasons and every tire shop recommended the snow tires over the all seasons.

Go with snow tires, drive slow, and you're good to go.

racebyu is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V, 500HP+ 99 Vette

I drove my V a week ago here in some major snow squalls south of Orangeville (North of Toronto) and had no problem
    with my Hankook W300's. I did add as mentioned in this post 2 bags of sand in the trunks empty spare tire hole (80lbs).
    Just keep the rpm low, upshift early and try not to shift in the corners and you will be fine. At least I was in snow covered
    roads and a couple inches of snow. I worry more about the other idiots on the road then my own driving!

Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo

Well, my Dunlop M3s came in Friday. Perfect timing, but.......couldn't find anybody to take off my runflats. Its snowing now and I have to go out in a bit. Streets are covered with a light sheet of snow.
    Guess I'll let you guys know how a V handles with bald F1s in the rear.

FIVEOH!!! is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
    I'm considering doing just the rears. Only because two of my tires are shot, and I dont wanna keep the RSAs anyway. That should be good enough for the few days we have snow on the streets. This way, I dont have to decided which tires to get till spring.
    I would be carefull when doing that.. I once changed just the rear tires on a car and it was awful in the snow. We just wont get the same traction as when having 4 of the same tires. That was just my experience.

As far as driving the V in the snow.. .I just wont do it. I was caught in the snow last year and it was very minimal snow... I made it home but never again will the V see any snow. Thats why I have a 93 altima with Bizzaks!!

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by nspharmd View Post
    ... my V ran great with my new michelin alpines. ...
    Uh-h, say, Nick ... any chance of posting up some pics of all those rides of yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
    ... bald F1s in the rear.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.