Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Learned a valuable lesson today!

3K views 39 replies 20 participants last post by  Cadillac Tony 
#1 ·
I guess I've made it to much of a habit to switch to Competitve Driving mode every time I get in the car.

It had been raining on and off on my way home from work. So the roads were a little damp but not soaking wet. I make my turn off the highway onto a small secondary road. I have to slow down and yield as I make the right turn but not stop. So I'm in 2nd gear, just about completely made my turn when I give it a little gas and big mistake. The car goes almost completely sideways, I lift my foot but no brakes and try to fight it, Stabili-track kicks, then I go back hard the other way and then I'm saved!

I wasn't even thinking about the fact that I was in Competitive Driving mode and the roads were damp. I also think the road surface played a part but if it wasnt for Stabili-track I would have been doing donuts.

#5 ·
why it's a habit for some of you guys to turn the traction/stability off when you get in the car is beyond me...I'm in my 20's and have more common sense than that....your not on a race track and your not mario andretti. If you wanna play around and drive 'aggressively' sign up for an autoX for starters and then buck up and get on a road course....the safety features were put there for a reason...

At least you didn't wipe out into another car, or whack a curb.

#11 ·
why it's a habit for some of you guys to turn the traction/stability off when you get in the car is beyond me...I'm in my 20's and have more common sense than that....your not on a race track and your not mario andretti. If you wanna play around and drive 'aggressively' sign up for an autoX for starters and then buck up and get on a road course....the safety features were put there for a reason...

At least you didn't wipe out into another car, or whack a curb.
Maybe when you get a little older you'll understand.:yup:

#17 ·
i tell you in the rain, my car will: slip, hop, slide, jump, etc all over the high way/ streets. i can't see why the car slips so much. You can't even drive normal in the rain. It feels like the car always wants to come around. Or that the front wants to slide out from under you. Its a beast in the rain, but amazing to drift in the rain when the roads are alittle wet.

#24 ·
My problems with this car in the rain went away when I retired the stock F1 Supercar EMTS in favor of F1 GS-D3 EMTS. The Supercars were great on a hot summer day unless in rained. In the rain the Supercars would hydroplane at moderate speed on smooth pavement and at any speed on wrinkled on pot-holed pavment. I suspect your problem in the rain has a lot to do with whatever tires your running. There are many tire choices that do well in the rain on this car.

#20 ·
No, going too deep would be comparing you to a drunk that thinks hes mature enough to know when he can still drive......c'mon man you shouldn't need moral advice from a 22 year old...but it sounds like you could use it....SAFETY features are there for a reason...and if your only going fast in a straight line then why not only turn of T/C.....and for that matter you know that the more you spin your tires the slower you go...right? Figure it out man, your only arguing with me because you know I'm right...and if you don't wanna admit that, then at least acknowledge that your tearin the shit out of your car, especially if you have a 'habit' of putting it into comp mode.

#21 ·
Now your age is really starting to show!

I said I like to spin the tires shifting to 2nd and 3rd, what does that have to do with going fast? I don't have to break the speed limit to do that?

Why do I need to admit to you what I'm doing to my car, It's My Car!

And lastly I don't need to argue with you, I'm done with this discussion and you!

#23 ·
Bought the car to have fun and that's what I do. Darkman, good point on the triple digits, this is why I don't push it at night.

I never turn it off, probably because it gets loose enough for me while it's on. Damn, if I didn't drive the car the way I do I would get a Honda or something that get's good gas mileage.

Not driving the V like you stole it is like drinking alcohol free beer, decaf coffee,.... Why???

BTW, Before any of you jump up on your soap box, I won't even drink one beer before getting into the drivers seat in the V and when it rains I usually garage it to keep the engine compartment clean. Anal - Hell Yes, Do I like to push the car to it's potential oh hell yes, If something breaks well that means it required an upgrade anyways.

Oh Man, this car is bad a$$ and great to drive. I like this forum because I believe there are people that share this same belief.

Life is too short, you must enjoy it while you can....

Man I love this car!

#30 ·
Bought the car to have fun and that's what I do. Darkman, good point on the triple digits, this is why I don't push it at night.

I never turn it off, probably because it gets loose enough for me while it's on. Damn, if I didn't drive the car the way I do I would get a Honda or something that get's good gas mileage.

Not driving the V like you stole it is like drinking alcohol free beer, decaf coffee,.... Why???

BTW, Before any of you jump up on your soap box, I won't even drink one beer before getting into the drivers seat in the V and when it rains I usually garage it to keep the engine compartment clean. Anal - Hell Yes, Do I like to push the car to it's potential oh hell yes, If something breaks well that means it required an upgrade anyways.

Oh Man, this car is bad a$$ and great to drive. I like this forum because I believe there are people that share this same belief.

Life is too short, you must enjoy it while you can....

Man I love this car!
I couldn't agree more man. I really enjoy this car too!

And when I get the time to put a set of tires on my daily driver, I will make sure I don't get caught in the rain again!

#27 ·
Competitive Driving mode makes the throttle more responsive, deactivates traction control and raises the threshold for Stabilitrak intervention. There's nothing wrong with driving in comp mode as long as you know how to handle oversteer and understand you run the risk of cracking up your car.

I drive in comp mode most of the time just for the improved throttle response, but I leave everything on in the rain.

#29 ·
Competitive Driving mode makes the throttle more responsive, deactivates traction control and raises the threshold for Stabilitrak intervention. There's nothing wrong with driving in comp mode as long as you know how to handle oversteer and understand you run the risk of cracking up your car.

I drive in comp mode most of the time just for the improved throttle response, but I leave everything on in the rain.
Better acceleration huh? I think I will be playing with this a little more once I get my ECM back. Am I ever looking forward to runnig my car with the Stealth Tune!

I will of course run with the traction control at first but if it's nice this weekend I will take her down a country road and open her up!

All hail the Torque Gods!

#28 ·
Im the same way. I will not even drink one beer while driving my car. But, I did buy it to have fun with it! I do some sprinted driving every once and a while. Hell I drive it like I stole it every once and a while. I would never put some my life or anyone elses life in danger. I love living in FL, lots of country roads!

Enjoy it and be safe at the same time.

Gene

#34 ·

I keep mine on at the track. Just run comp mode. Its great. Unless you want to drive out of shape(drifting or 360's), leave it on. During track days, mine will only come on 2-3 times. Its because I am getting sloppy. You won't drive any faster without it. Most people(99%) don't have the skills.

#38 ·
I guess I've made it to much of a habit to switch to Competitve Driving mode every time I get in the car.
Aye, me too. Fortunately I forgot to turn off Comp Mode after stopping for a quick errand on the way home tonight.

It went down like this - Impala ahead, we're both sitting at the stoplight.

Light turns green, we both take a right.

Hammer goes down on the V as I start to pull into the left lane to pass the Imp and wow, worn F1 tires in 40 degree temps with 2nd gear Maggie torque is not good.

Car got wicked out of shape and the steering wheel was literally jerked out of my hands to the straight up position as StabiliTrak reigned in the V.

urby's life flashed before my eyes. :spurs:

#39 ·
Aye, me too. Fortunately I forgot to turn off Comp Mode after stopping for a quick errand on the way home tonight.

It went down like this - Impala ahead, we're both sitting at the stoplight.

Light turns green, we both take a right.

Hammer goes down on the V as I start to pull into the left lane to pass the Imp and wow, worn F1 tires in 40 degree temps with 2nd gear Maggie torque is not good.

Car got wicked out of shape and the steering wheel was literally jerked out of my hands to the straight up position as StabiliTrak reigned in the V.

urby's life flashed before my eyes. :spurs:
I bet you let the Impala go after that!

I didn't know it would jerk the steering wheel out of your hand. It has rained here all week and with the drought, I havent drove the V in the rain but a couple of times. I'm really impressed with how well the car keeps traction on wet roads. In 2nd gear, under a little throttle, traction don't break, the system works really well.

#40 ·
It shouldn't jerk the wheel out of your hands, but if the outside front corner brake bites down as part of the Stabilitrak engagement then it will definitely feel like a jolt through the wheel.

Interesting fact: The new Stabiltrak 3.0 features active steering compensation, which will actually turn into a slide for you in addition to braking. Jury's still out on that one for me.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.