Cadillac now offers shock absorbers for the CTS-V...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Cadillac now offers shock absorbers for the CTS-V... in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Does that option cure the wheel hop? You can see it under the Build your cts-v under options. This is ...
    trekster is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V R.I.P.

Cadillac now offers shock absorbers for the CTS-V...

Does that option cure the wheel hop? You can see it under the Build your cts-v under options. This is what it says:

SHOCK ABSORBERS Regular Production Accessory, Performance Shock Absorber Package (SPO-supplied, dealer-installed) (FG2) $1260

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

lasstss is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Cadillac now offers shock absorbers for the CTS-V...

$300+ ea. for shocks is insane, even if it did cure the wheel hop. I dont know where they get off charging that kind of cash for a shock. IMO.

I will wait for an aftermarket resolution..

Quote Originally Posted by lasstss
    $300+ ea. for shocks is insane, even if it did cure the wheel hop. I dont know where they get off charging that kind of cash for a shock. IMO.

I will wait for an aftermarket resolution..
    Do you have any idea when the aftermarket shocks are coming out? I'm getting my CTS-V next saturday. I wanted to fix the wheel hopping by the time I break in the engine for the cts-v due to various reasons .

Uber-V is offline Cadillac Owners Member

The shocks may help wheel hop but I doubt it will eliminate it. Both Lund and Mallett will offer alternatives as well but expect pricing to be relative to quality and performance. 300 per shock may seem expensive when compared to basic shocks but my understanding is that the GM upgrade is a pretty special shock. The shocks from Mallett are Penske in two versions. One is non adjustable and the other is adjustable. The adjustable ones I've seen also have remote reserviors. If you think $1200 for a set is expensive check this out:

Mallett-Penske
    Non adjustable full set $2529.90
    Adjustable full set $3915.00
    Coil-over upgrade for adjustable full set $1575.00

So, full adjustable coil-over Penske's for $5490.00

I'll bet the Lund setup won't be less than the GM since it will be adjustable coil-overs as well.

The GM upgrade at $1200 doesn't look too bad now if it works well.

Also, if you are going to run aggressive track events you will want the diff. cooler as well. From GMPD soon.

Cal
    Cal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

It does kind of burn my balls that they came out with this a couple months after the release of the V so all the people who see the car and go buy one will have the option, while we don't. Ah well.

$5k for a serious suspension is OK in my book, since aggressive track will be my main focus with the car. Very important modification.

Diff. cooler from GM? Hadn't heard anyone else talk about that being necessary. Forgive my ignorance when I ask what it does/helps/fixes. I had planned on doing a thermo mod, just not sure yet which part it takes.

- C.

The diff cooler will be available late next month. It is for the serious road race track day user. The diff fluid gets hot enough to change state after 15 minutes of constant race driving. The cooler will keep the fluid at a reasonable temperature for extended periods.

benjet is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Cal
    I had planned on doing a thermo mod, just not sure yet which part it takes.
    (OT to this thread) Do you mean changing out the coolant thermostat to a lower temp one? The Z06 guys (from what I've read on their forum) say that is is counter productive.

Now an Oil Cooler would be helpful....

-Ben

[QUOTE=Uber-V]The shocks may help wheel hop but I doubt it will eliminate it. Both Lund and Mallett will offer alternatives as well but expect pricing to be relative to quality and performance. 300 per shock may seem expensive when compared to basic shocks but my understanding is that the GM upgrade is a pretty special shock. The shocks from Mallett are Penske in two versions. One is non adjustable and the other is adjustable. The adjustable ones I've seen also have remote reserviors. If you think $1200 for a set is expensive check this out:

Mallett-Penske
    Non adjustable full set $2529.90
    Adjustable full set $3915.00
    Coil-over upgrade for adjustable full set $1575.00

So, full adjustable coil-over Penske's for $5490.00

I'll bet the Lund setup won't be less than the GM since it will be adjustable coil-overs as well.

The GM upgrade at $1200 doesn't look too bad now if it works well.

Also, if you are going to run aggressive track events you will want the diff. cooler as well. From GMPD soon.[/QUOTE Which of the shocks enlisted would be the most suitable for drag racing?

I really don't know which shocks will be the best for drag racing. All of the upgrades I mentioned including the GM upgrade are intended for road racing. Drag racing has its own set of demands on shocks that are much different from road racing. The CTS-V performance traits lend itself more to road racing than drag racing. IRS is not the best setup for drag racing. If your serious about it you may want to check into a 4 link with a ford 9". That will cure wheel hop for sure.

gothicaleigh is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS

It does seem like kind of a waste to buy a CTS-V for the strip. Sure, it comes with monstrous amounts of horsepower and torque, but the car shines in the twisties...

Quote Originally Posted by gothicaleigh
    It does seem like kind of a waste to buy a CTS-V for the strip. Sure, it comes with monstrous amounts of horsepower and torque, but the car shines in the twisties...
    True lets see what I end up doing.

Cal
    Cal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Strange, because the shop I go to which is primarily Z06 does suggest lower-temp thermo mods. I guess if you ask 100 different people you will get 100 different answers on how to modify your car.

Thanks for the heads up on the diff. cooler U-V, I am new to aggresive track racing so any advice of that nature is always appreciated.

lasstss is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Im not sure what the factory is usung for Diff fluid. If its not already synthetic and you have over 500miles on the gearset you could switch.

On the stat, just about everyone doing any racing had switched out to the 160deg stat. Im speaking of the LT-1 here. The LS-1 should be no different. The slight lowering of temp gives a little denser fuel mixture. It works! I know I picked up 1-2 tenths doing the stat and throttle valve by pass mod.

The V has the throttle by wire. I have not taken a good look at it yet to see if they are pumping hot coolant thru it like the LT-1

03Z06Vette is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 Escalade ESV Mocha/Ebony, 2011 CTS-V EG/EB

Quote Originally Posted by lasstss
    Im not sure what the factory is usung for Diff fluid. If its not already synthetic and you have over 500miles on the gearset you could switch.

On the stat, just about everyone doing any racing had switched out to the 160deg stat. Im speaking of the LT-1 here. The LS-1 should be no different. The slight lowering of temp gives a little denser fuel mixture. It works! I know I picked up 1-2 tenths doing the stat and throttle valve by pass mod.

The V has the throttle by wire. I have not taken a good look at it yet to see if they are pumping hot coolant thru it like the LT-1
    I just put a 160 deg stat in my Z06 and I am running around 30-35 deg F cooler in the coolant temps and only 5 degrees cooler oil temps. The only reason the LSx engines run so hot is for emissions, not for performance. All C5s also have the throttle body coolant line running through it to avoid sticking of the throttle body when it is freezing. I have heard that bypassing it doesn't do anything performance wise anyway.

ttown is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I deal with a lot of high performance motor people and they all state that the ideal engine running temp. is between 180 - 190 degrees.

I have a 160 stat. on my Z06.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.