Tinting my CTS-V
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Tinting my CTS-V in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I drop the car off at my window tinting place yesterday. About thirty minutes later the guy called and said ...
    ttown is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Tinting my CTS-V

I drop the car off at my window tinting place yesterday. About thirty minutes later the guy called and said he could not tint the car because he was concerned what would happen if he disconnected the antenna on the rear window. Does anyone know if anything will happen if he does that?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

benjet is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Tinting my CTS-V

If you are talking about the cell (arial) antenna mounted on the rear glass, been there, removed that, everything is still good. I'm sure my Onstar reception is less but hey I'm working on some alternatives.

-Ben

ttown is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by benjet
    If you are talking about the cell (arial) antenna mounted on the rear glass, been there, removed that, everything is still good. I'm sure my Onstar reception is less but hey I'm working on some alternatives.

-Ben
    So it is for the cell phone? The tint guy was concerned it might send an alarm to Onstar.

On your Inside rear view mirror you will notice the green Onstar indicator will now be red (but should still work) since it doesn't sense the antenna but of you reconnect it ir should go green again - I'm getting rid of that one trying some alternates.

-Ben

miscreant is offline GM Connection

There is no problem at all with removing the attenna temporarily. Will tint them all day long...
    2004 Cadillac CTS (**SOLD** ): http://www.ctsowners.com
    2004 Pontiac GTO: http://www.myyellowgto.com

smuook is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I removed my antenna with a razor blade prior to having my windows tinted. I believe this is probably a better idea than trying to cut a hole in an expensive tint film. After the tint fully dried (about 3 weeks), I reinstalled the antenna with a outdoor grade double sided tape from Home Depot. The OnStar works perfectly now... the antenna is on securely... and the tint looks great.

KJTROT is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Mine are tinted and there is no problem.

Enjoy the tint!! It makes the car look great and cools the interior.

dennis is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS V

I'm curious. Has anyone experienced a loss of their AM radio reception after they had the rear glass tinted? The Audi A8 that I had before my CTS-V lost AM reception completely after tinting.

-1-
    -1- is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Just a note regarding the OnStar antenna. I dislike the antenna. Always have. We keep my wife's CTS in the garage and covered with a sheet. Our cats like to sit, lay, walk, whatever on the car. It's covered every evening (what a hassle). The biggest problem was finding the little hole in the sheet so the OnStar antenna could poke through the sheet. Someone posted an item where they replaced their OnStar antenna with a small flat antenna which sat on the rear seat window shelf. I thought this was the answer to my problem. I ordered the antenna and received it. I had to find the right connector at Radio Shack. Before I could do this, it occurred to me - why not disconnect the current OnStar antenna and mount it INSIDE the rear window. I removed both pieces from the outside and inside of the rear window. I stuck the two pieces back together. I removed the rear window pillar covering and laid the antenna in the recess behind the seat and the shelf. I adjusted the length of cable and put the base mount inside the pillar covering. The antenna sits in the seat top recess, with the base inside the pillar covering. It's secure, and would only move during a rollover. I called OnStar to verify it works. Green light and all. No more worrying about the antenna being straight. Throw the sheet on the car at night and go. I personally think it the car looks better without the outside antenna. If you try this at home, be careful removing the antenna mounts (inside & out) The sticky tape is TOUGH. Use a sharp razor blade, take you time. Don't scratch the rear window. Also, on the rear pillar covering, there's a plastic cap covering a screw, says "Airbag". Pull the plug off and remove the screw, don't break the screw mount like I did.:rolleyes2

Clintonwmills is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I personally like the antenna. I think it looks high tech.

Just my opinion though

Quote Originally Posted by -1-
    why not disconnect the current OnStar antenna and mount it INSIDE the rear window.
    For reasons far beyond me to explain (one of my best friends is a radio tech for one of the largest telecoms companies in the US), this is the equivalent of having no antenna connected (which btw also DOES work), but may leave you without signal at a time when you are more remote from your nearest cell site.

I am working on some alternatives, will post when I find something suitable.

-Ben

-1-
    -1- is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

This might fall in the same category as disconnecting your cars day time running lights. I want to be visible. My understanding is Cadillac is coming up with a better solution to the OnStar antenna for 2005. Integrated XM and OnStar antenna. I relocated the OnStar antenna because of the hassle of covering the car everyday. It's not disconnected, just relocated. I might suffer a loss of signal. It was checked with OnStar on two occasions, all A-OK. I'd be interested in the percent of owners that renew their OnStar subscription past the one year trial period. I plan to renew ours.

Silver Baron is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2

Quote Originally Posted by benjet
    For reasons far beyond me to explain (one of my best friends is a radio tech for one of the largest telecoms companies in the US), this is the equivalent of having no antenna connected (which btw also DOES work), but may leave you without signal at a time when you are more remote from your nearest cell site.

I am working on some alternatives, will post when I find something suitable.

-Ben
    Well, it can't be that bad. We all use handheld cellphones inside out cars don't we.

Quote Originally Posted by dennis
    I'm curious. Has anyone experienced a loss of their AM radio reception after they had the rear glass tinted? The Audi A8 that I had before my CTS-V lost AM reception completely after tinting.
    I remembered to check this today (as I don't listen to AM much). I got all the usual stations - can't be 100% certain that there wasn't some reduction in AM signal or quality but all of the stations I checked for came thru as expected.

Complete loss, no - some degradation maybe possible.

I might guess your tint person may have disconnected the in glass antenna - but that's only a guess.

-Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Baron
    Well, it can't be that bad. We all use handheld cellphones inside out cars don't we.
    Well yes, same technology different implemetation. IIRC handheld (hold to your face) cell fones are limited to 0.6 watts. The older "trans-portable" bag phone units were 1.5 watts (IIRC). Vehicle mount(ed) kits are (usually) 3 watts. If you have ever been in a car that has a mounted 3 watt kit and you plug your regular handheld into it you will notice the difference pretty quickly (most dramaically if you are far or blocked from the cell site). Onstar wants the strongest power/signal they can get - in case of emergency they want to make sure they can be in touch (blah blah blah) without dropping calls etc. (things we have gotten used to on our regular cell phones).

Not trying to argue just trying to offer some info.

-Ben

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.