Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Considering CTS-V Purchase-Need Opinions

1K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  The Tony Show 
#1 ·
I am looking to purchase a CTSV very shortly. I was stuck on a pearl white DTS but the Northstar Engine and Transmission problems that plague them isnt my cup of tea. The LS6 and T56 are a tried and true combo so here I am.

What things should I look for when buying one of these. i am only looking at bone stock cars with no mods. Any electronic problems,oil leaks etc etc I should pay special attention too?

I'm no stranger to buying cars as I am a buyer/wholesaler/salesman at a used car dealership but every make and model has thier own sets of issues and I am unfamiliar with the CTS's so I wanted to ask you guys first.

#6 ·
I've done the searches and been reading through the cts-v and sts-v forum for a couple weeks now. i've seen tons of threads on the rear diffs,climate control flickering problems and some other electronic related issues.

Just fishing for more info before i drop 30g's

#8 ·
I have had 2 with very few problems. I had to put a differential seal in both and I have intermittant problems with the right rear tire sensor on my current one with 36K. Other than that they run great. Neither one hase ever left a spot on the garage floor. I drive mine pretty easy and have a couple of bolt on mods and a tune. I recommend the V to anyone who asks. Try to find one with an extended warranty. Both of mine had them and I think it will pay for it's self in resale if nothing else. BTW silver is the fastest color.:)

#11 ·
I've never had any luck with automatic cadillac transmissions behind the northstar motor from personal and work experience at the dealership. After talking to various cadillac techs I changed my mind on the DTS idea after hearing more than enough horror stories with everything from electric gremlins,headgaskets,oil leaks from the shortblock,HUD and night vision never working etc.

#12 ·
Tony, take it easy on the newbie. Funny as hell though.

Lets try to sum it up. The rear is shit. The radio has peeling buttons. Its an American car with little quirks, either you can deal withit or not. If you like to "drive" your car then be prepared you are probably gonna have to replace the rear. If you have F1s still on it, they will need replacing soon too. Some people have had to replace the radiator as well. Anyone else want to chime in?

#13 ·
Batteries, sail panels, did we mention difs?, right rear passenger door lock freezing, difs, non-linear fuel gauge, breaking console from leaning on it, spreading butt cheeks from cornering, sore neck muscles from acceleration, lost luggies from mouth during wicked stops, angy ricers and bimmer drivers when they get blown off the road, and difs. :D

#14 ·
Running out of gas....

#15 ·
I pretty much baby everything I own so breaking parts shouldnt be an issue. I've already had purpose built race cars, tons of 10-11 sec stangs and a few LS1 cars in between. I just want something that has some balls with 4 doors that I won't mind getting into everyday that doesnt look like everything else on the road.

If all goes well I'm headed up the caddy dealership this weekend and I'll see what happens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.