142 mph in a 75 mph...I need legal advice!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, 142 mph in a 75 mph...I need legal advice! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; As some of you may know I'm moving from Vegas to Dallas. My last night in Vegas I went out ...
    whisler151 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe, 2010 Ford Raptor

142 mph in a 75 mph...I need legal advice!

As some of you may know I'm moving from Vegas to Dallas. My last night in Vegas I went out in style...ended up meeting a stripper and inviting her to drive the 1200 miles with me, needless to say that was fun. She ended up saving my ass! So I'm crusin down the 40 in the middle of AZ when 200 yards back I see a car approaching fast. I give it a few seconds and then figure he's gonna try to pass me...good luck! So I drop it down to 4th and take off...I am easily out running this guy but he is persistent! As I'm actively putting distance between us I look down to see my road trip high of 142 mph...as i get a smile on my face i check the rear view to see if he had given up when he turns on his blue and reds. F!! F!! F!! is all i could say. He came up to the passenger side and told me to get out walk up to his patrol car and place my hands on the hood. Without hesitation he handcuffed me and placed me under arrest for criminal speeds or something like that. He then proceeded to ask me a few questions like how fast i was going...to which I replied..."i have no idea Sir". He told me that his car governs out at 130 and that i was pulling way ahead of him so i had to be going over 130...in my head I thought, your godam right i was, but i thought that not best to say.
    Thank God for the random stripper I brought along, if it wasn't for her sobbing out of control i surely would have spent the night in jail. He told her that he was going to take me to jail for the night and I would be able to see the judge in the morning. Apparently he felt bad for her and ended up uncuffing me and letting me off with a wreckless driving ($910, so much for the corsa this month)
    I'm not a lawyer but i'm pretty sure that a cop cant follow someone that long once they've broken the law just to push them to go faster. If he would have just pulled me over right away i would have gotten a ticket for 90 in a 75. The longer he followed me the faster i went till his car gave out and he had to turn on his lights. Any advice????

Thanks, and sorry for the long story.

~Whisler

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rblimas is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS, Black Raven. Name: Car-los

Re: 142 mph in a 75 mph...I need legal advice!

actually he can follow you that long after you already broke the law, he probably did not even care that you where going 90MPH in a 75 zone, but then when you smoked him he probably thought you where trying to be a smart ass.

4DRVETT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

First of all, you are DAMN lucky...anything 25 mph over the speed limit (or 85 max) in AZ is considered a criminal offense!! Second of all, I'm no lawyer either, but him following you to "push you to go faster"...good luck explaining that one in court. Why would you gun it BEFORE you even knew what was creeping up next to you? Of course he's gonna continue to follow for a while, you were rackin' up mad dough for the good 'ol state of AZ at that point! You're lucky he didn't presume you a fugitive on the run, put a gun to your head, and impound the car! Anyhow, a $910 slap on the wrist is a blessing in this case. The moral of the story is...if you're gonna speed, do it in NM (they're more lenient) and thank God for strippers!

-Erik Valdez
    Circo Meta Forma

HushH is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Nada

Only advice I can give you is be happy you didn't go to jail and get your license yanked right there. You might be able to talk your way out of a normal speeding ticket, but you're probably going to need an attorney for this one if you want to get it really lowered. Good luck.

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

Your lucky and boy do you have brass ones.

Yeah go to court and tell the judge that story.

You thought you were being chased by the hookers pimp so that's why you were speeding.

ViViDsapper is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS-V

Maybe some good news for ya, but...

A know that a few of my soldiers, here in Yuma, have been pulled over by AZ DPS for speeding and other assorted non-criminal traffic violations. And their fines have been very hefty i.e. $500+. From what I understand, each Agent sets their own fine amount to a ticket. Anyway they were signed up, through the court, to a driving school. Now, the driving school expunged the points from their ticket. And the fine was dropped to whatever the cost of the school was. Somewhere in the area of 200 bones. But from what it sounds like, you were already cut a HUGE break. So expect the worst but hope for the best.

One more thing. When or if you do see a judge or a Assistant DA, tell them the truth. They hear enough BS for three lifetimes, they'll see right through it.

Rockafella is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by heavymetals View Post
    Your lucky and boy do you have brass ones.

Yeah go to court and tell the judge that story.

You thought you were being chased by the hookers pimp so that's why you were speeding.
    That's hilarious!

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

Tell the judge your ex-girlfriend who was a real pain in the ass cheated on you and started dating a cop. You just thought that was him trying to catch you to give her back !

Hire a local ticket attorney, maybe he can get it reduced somewhat. BUT you are VERY lucky you did not go to jail.

There's a lesson here, that guy speeding up behind you ? Make sure he isn't a cop

RightTurn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by whisler151 View Post
    Any advice????

~Whisler
    Dude. SLOW DOWN and stop driving like a tool. We already have enough of those in Texas.

The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

Quote Originally Posted by CIWS View Post
    Tell the judge your ex-girlfriend who was a real pain in the ass cheated on you and started dating a cop. You just thought that was him trying to catch you to give her back !
    That joke is so old it can vote- but I still love it!
    Rest in Peace, J.D. (aka Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

Quote Originally Posted by whisler151 View Post
    Any advice????

~Whisler
    There isn't a group for legal advice on MySpace?
    Rest in Peace, J.D. (aka Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

Quote Originally Posted by RightTurn View Post
    Dude. SLOW DOWN and stop driving like a tool. We already have enough of those in Texas.
    Yeah I would never do 140 mph ( cough) in Texas.

RightTurn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CIWS View Post
    Yeah I would never do 140 mph ( cough) in Texas.
    You'd probably wait and VERIFY exactly who was pulling up on ya from the rear first, though.

v-ape is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): (did) CTS-V

Man, you're not even doubling the speedlimit! =)

Something similar has happened to my friend 2x's on I-40 between Raleigh and Greensboro. Every case is different, but here's how his turned out. First I have to say he did this trip every weekend in college (1.5hrs to get home).

First time:
    He had gotten the new accord V6 (back in 97 or something) and was heading home to greensboro when a car pulled up on him trying to catch him. He saw that so he matted it and got up to 135 (thats the limit of the accord) then slowed when he had a bunch of distance, the guy caught up and my friend did it again. After the 3rd time of this he ends up getting pulled over by a marked car. The first guy was a cop but not in a marked car and he called for backup. He could only pace him up to 110 because thats all his speedo showed. By the time the marked car came, he was going the limit. He still got a ticket for 110 in a 65. Lawyer got him out of it saying it was an illeagal stop

2nd time:
    Same road, doing 135 again, this time a marked car pulls him over. Orders him out of the car, pulls a gun on him (apparently the cops hands were shaking too). Jumps on his back and handcuffs him. At this point hes telling him "You're losing your license, you're losing your car, you're going to jail!". A second cop arrives and they search his car. They dont take him to jail or take his car. Once again, he gets a lawyer and the lawyer found some technicallity and he got off. He stopped speeding after that.

I know those stories arent exactly the same as yours, but with a lawyer, you might get off.

The only other advice I can give you is when you go to court, go with a buddy or park your car in a place it can stay for awhile. If you go to jail, you dont get to move your car, its staright from the court room to the slammer. Hope that makes you feel better :P

You can always try and tell him you thought the gauge was stuck on kph so 140kph = ~88mph. That will be a hard sell.... or like heavymetals said. Tell him you "had a trig midterm tomorrow and were being chased by Guido the killer pimp" -Risky Business (Isnt he the one thats supposed to be in the cadillac?)

I was technically in Oklahoma at the time I thought about doing 140.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.