CTS-V switched Accessory power
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, CTS-V switched Accessory power in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; On the V, Does anyone know where in the cabin I can find a switched 12 volt accessory power source? ...
    ctsvett is offline FAQ is your Friend
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

CTS-V switched Accessory power

On the V,
    Does anyone know where in the cabin I can find a switched 12 volt accessory power source? Switched means that when I turn on the key, the power comes on, but also goes off when I turn off the car. Something under the seats, or under the dash is great cause I dont want to have to take anything serious apart.

I have a car kit for my phone, and dont want to keep pluging it in and unplugging it when I get in/out of the car. I dont leave it plugged in cause I dont want the battery to die.

Any thought would be appreciated.

Reed
    CTSVETT

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

benjet is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: CTS-V switched Accessory power

It would take a LONG (like weeks) time for a cell fone to drain a car battery.

Mbai2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS DI 6 Speed Manual Black/Black w/ FE3 Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by mrbadss
    On the V,
    Does anyone know where in the cabin I can find a switched 12 volt accessory power source? Switched means that when I turn on the key, the power comes on, but also goes off when I turn off the car. Something under the seats, or under the dash is great cause I dont want to have to take anything serious apart.

I have a car kit for my phone, and dont want to keep pluging it in and unplugging it when I get in/out of the car. I dont leave it plugged in cause I dont want the battery to die.

Any thought would be appreciated.

Reed
    CTSVETT
    I tapped into the harness that connects to the climate control panel. It's really easy to remove. Just open the ashtray and remove the felt tray. You'll see a screw recessed behind the tray. Loosen this screw. I had to use a magnetic driver so that the screw would stay attached to the driver when it came loose (as opposed to falling somewhere into the center console). Then you just grab the ashtray and pull straight out to loosen the clips. You'll see the harness in the back and a wire for you cigarette lighter. The harness is easy to undo but I still haven't figured out the lighter. I just let the whole thing dangle over the passenger foot well while I worked with the harness.

Looking at the harness with the wires facing away from you, the first wire in the SECOND row should be a switched 12V. If that doesn't work, it may be the 8th wire in the FIRST row. One of them is a ground and the other is hot. Use a multimeter to confirm before doing any wiring. If you find that both are ground, don't forget to start your car :-P

skides1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

This guy gots skills! Mbai2, impressive. I know of people probing for days-not finding retained acc power due to redundancy.

Innocent Bystander is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Each of the interior outlets can be changed from a battery feed to a switched ignition feed. (One is the cigar lighter in the ashtray, the other is the auxiliary outlet in the rear of the center console.

To do that, go to the underhood fuse center and look for a bright yellow 20A fuse and a bright green 30A fuse that are in "wide" spaces (sorry, don't have a picture). Looking from the front of the car, they're kinda to the right of center and slightly above, between some relays. Anyway, these are the only fuses that you can move from side to side. The center contact is the one that eventually feeds the outlets. The contact on either side come from either the battery or the "cigar relay" (the switched feed). You use the fuse to bridge the appropriate gap:

If you want the cigar outlet to be on a switched supply, move the yellow fuse one position over in the same space. If you want the rear outlet to be switched, move the green fuse one position over. The factory fuse positions bridge the gap between the battery and the center contact.

Hope that's understandable.

Good luck.

IB

added to CTS-V FAQ with picture...

Reed

BUILDINGCTSAMG is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

the cigarette lighter goes off ten minutes after the key is removed, your battery wont die from ten minutes!

CTSAMG,
    My power in the V does not go off after 10 minutes in the back seat.

IB,
    That modification did not work on the 30 AMP fuse in my V. the outlet would not work when I moved the one that said "outlet I/B". I did not try it on the front outlet.

Is this a regular CTS only thing?

Reed
    CTSVETT

BUILDINGCTSAMG is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Are u sure about the ten minutes, i know the cts turns it off after 10 minutes....could you look in your owners manual

that part of the owners manual is the same.. The V-supplement says:

"Your CTS-V comes equipped with two Accessory Power outles. The front outlet is in the storage compartment below the climate control center. The rear outlet is on the back of the center console. These outlets can be set to be powered while your CTS-V is running and for 10 minutes after vehicle shutdown, or they can be set so that they are powerede at all times even when the engine is off, for cell phone charging..."

How do you "set" this "option"?

Reed
    CTSVETT

darrelld is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

that part of the owners manual is the same.. The V-supplement says:

"Your CTS-V comes equipped with two Accessory Power outles. The front outlet is in the storage compartment below the climate control center. The rear outlet is on the back of the center console. These outlets can be set to be powered while your CTS-V is running and for 10 minutes after vehicle shutdown, or they can be set so that they are powerede at all times even when the engine is off, for cell phone charging..."

How do you "set" this "option"?

Reed
    CTSVETT
    <<This is a cut and paste from the CTS owners manual>>

The accessory power outlet will only operate when the
    ignition is in ACCESSORY or ON and for 10 minutes
    after turning the ignition to OFF. If you would like
    the accessory power outlet to operate regardless of
    ignition position, and for extended periods of time,
    you can do the following:
    1. Open the hood and locate the underhood fuse block.
    2. Find the I/P OUTLET and OUTLET fuses and
    move them over a space, to the open cavity
    next to each fuse.

<<I/P=Instrument Panel>>

thanks... My dumb fault for not reading... (funny and my name is Reed)
    I was only looking at the CTS-V cd addition.

Reed
    CTSVETT

thanks... My dumb fault for not reading... (funny and my name is Reed)
    I was only looking at the CTS-V cd addition.

Reed
    CTSVETT
    Glad to help, I found it much easier to download the pdf version of the CTS manual and use Adobe search functions to find info.

https://www.mygmlink.com/main/US/en/...ac/2k04cts.pdf

oops... that method does not work on my V. When I move the fuses, both outlets go dead (no power)...

Is this method only for the regular CTS? Is the wiring different on the V?

Reed
    CTSVETT

oops... that method does not work on my V. When I move the fuses, both outlets go dead (no power)...

Is this method only for the regular CTS? Is the wiring different on the V?

Reed
    CTSVETT
    The V supplement should make a reference if the systems are different. I have sucessfully reprogrammed my console outlet to not timeout for recharging my cell phone. I left the I/P outlet to time out.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.