Fix a Flat Bad for TPS????
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Fix a Flat Bad for TPS???? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Going for gas at lunch today and had my first blow out. RunFlats did their job. I made it to ...
    GMBOUND is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Fix a Flat Bad for TPS????

Going for gas at lunch today and had my first blow out.
    RunFlats did their job.
    I made it to the Gas Station, pulled out my trusty can of Fix-A-Flat (which I learned about carrying from the Toolkit thread) used it and continued back to work.
    After work I made it to one of two Goodyear stores that can work on Runflats and too my comfort there is a Black CTS-V in the parkling lot on 20"s.
    I'm comforted by the thought that they may be able to get the tire on and off with out scratching up my wheels.
    After trying to sale me the same set of wheels, and plugging my hole in the tire, they told me that I'm not supposed to use Fix a flat on these tires because it burns out the TPS. IS THIS TRUE?
    If so why would Fix a flat be a must have in the spare tire wheel?

Now I'm going through the tire threads trying to find the best Tires to buy.
    I'm seriously leaning towards runflats again. That was so cool not having to jump out in the rain and deal with a flat, just keep on drivin!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

Re: Fix a Flat Bad for TPS????

Fix a Flat , Bad for TPS.

If it's a run flat, why would you need to use fix a flat ?

Run Flats are "supposed" to be able to be patched, but I wouldn't feel comfortable running at speed with one. (personal opinion)

I have run flats but carry a spare tire in the spare tire hole incase the runflat and/or wheel becomes so damaged it's no longer useable.

Thanks
    I guess the thread I read about carrying the Fix a Flat was for the Non-Runflat folks.
    I agree, I won't be getting much speed on the V until I get some new tires.
    So you actually bought runflats again?

Yes and no, swapped out the original F1s for RSAs and have about 23K on these. Haven't fully decided what I'll replace them with, possibly RSAs again.

RSAs came on mines, Just under 11k and a simple tire rotation made the world of difference. Then I get a hole in tire.
    TireRack doesn't show the RSA, where can I get them online?

Quote Originally Posted by GMBOUND View Post
    TireRack doesn't show the RSA,
    RS-A EMT ?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...nly&x=115&y=16

50 4Ever is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V (Thunder Grey)

Quote Originally Posted by GMBOUND View Post
    Thanks
    I guess the thread I read about carrying the Fix a Flat was for the Non-Runflat folks.
    I agree, I won't be getting much speed on the V until I get some new tires.
    So you actually bought runflats again?
    I am running non runflats (Michelin PS2) and would use fix-a-flat only as a last resort because there is a chance it will ruin the TPS. I have heard of people using it and having no problem with the TPS, others used it and lost the TPS. F1 run flats are supposed to be good for 100 miles at legal highway speeds with no air pressure, without ruining the tire.

As to the speed question, if the tire was patched you will lose 1 letter in speed rating. F1 Supercar EMT's with a speed rating of "W", or 168 MPH, will drop to a speed rating on "V", or 149 MPH. I would not dragrace with any tire that has been patched because the heat could melt the glue. However I have used my patched tires for track days since 2003 with no problems. I returned from a track day with the Corvette last week and found a screw in one of my Kuhno slicks. I had it patched and will use it next week at another track day.

Thank You!

tedcmiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

The TPS in a run-flat system has a opening to expose the pressure sensor to the internal pressure. Fix-a-flat or other similar "squirt in the tire" concoctions can close off this hole, rendering the TPS inoperable. There is no "burn out" of the TPS.

And, as CIWS asked, with run-flats why would you need anything else? In any case, run-flats are the way of the future. In a few more years, that is all that will be available.

Quote Originally Posted by tedcmiller View Post
    In any case, run-flats are the way of the future. In a few more years, that is all that will be available.
    I disagree with that statement. Runflats will come standars in all new cars with the pending legislation, but non runflats will be available for a long time. There is a huge market out there for non runflats and the tire companies will not turn their back on this large customer base.

The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

Quote Originally Posted by 50 4Ever View Post
    I would not dragrace with any tire that has been patched because the heat could melt the glue.

I had a patched GS-D3 that couldn't even take prolonged highway speeds (75-80mph) without developing a small leak.
    Rest in Peace, J.D. (aka Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

Quote Originally Posted by The Tony Show View Post
    I had a patched GS-D3 that couldn't even take prolonged highway speeds (75-80mph) without developing a small leak.
    I have never had any problems with any of my patched tires. One of my front tires on the corvette was patched twice and that tire went cross country, came through Phoenix when it was 123 outside, cruised at 120+ for about an hour... no problems at all. Sounds like it wasn't patched properly.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.