Cadillac Owners Forum banner
8K views 54 replies 27 participants last post by  newv 
#1 ·
I got 146 but to blurry! It is hard to shift into 5th going 141 and taking pictures in the dark all at the same time, but someone's got to do it!

See less See more
#10 ·
Clintonwmills said:
I got 146 but to blurry! It is hard to shift into 5th going 141 and taking pictures in the dark all at the same time, but someone's got to do it!
You're an idiot. Surely you have something better to do with your time than endangering your life and the lives of others on the road by driving that fast and then being stupid enough to take a picture at that speed. Grow up. By the way...do your parents know you did this in their car?

#11 ·
Yeah buddy, you really know what you are talking about. You know exactly where I was and how many other lives where in danger! Thanks for the expert opinion. Yes my daddy took the picture and my mommy was in the back seat with my little sitter and her 3year old friend in the car seat, ******!

#12 ·
Clintonwmills said:
Yeah buddy, you really know what you are talking about. You know exactly where I was and how many other lives where in danger! Thanks for the expert opinion. Yes my daddy took the picture and my mommy was in the back seat with my little sitter and her 3year old friend in the car seat, ******!
Now there's a typical 21 year old's response for ya! :tisk: :crying: :crying2:

#13 ·
Hey Clint you might have to chage your login name to Clint Eastwood. I've had the fuel in my DHS cutoff twice. The first time I didn't know what happened until I looked down and realized how fast I was going and saw the max speed warning in my info center. I think I was around 120ish and really didn't notice...smoth, quite, and just a hair above 3000 RPM.

The whole speed limit issue is pretty crazy. On one hand you need to enforce limits based on capabilities of both car and driver, road conditions, pedestrians, etc.. otherwise there would be chaos. But then again every automotive commercial pitches performance, family sedans and all. Why create all these high performance vehicles mostly all of which are capable of doubling the speed limit? Why not just govern all cars to 75 if we don't want people exploring their cars capabilities? And who drives 55 anyway...

#14 ·
Ill let this thread go for a little longer, then Im going to lock it...

ONly bad can come out of this!

#18 ·
elwesso said:
Ill let this thread go for a little longer, then Im going to lock it...
ONly bad can come out of this!
Thank you for 'allowing' us this time then. :rolleyes:

As for the anti-speed members:
Settle down. It sounds that he was only endangering himself and his car. I admit that snapping off pics at that speed is a bit reckless and not at all commendable, but to fly along a deserted road at 140 is a walk in the park for these cars. Even mine remains very composed and stable at that speed.

#19 ·
gothicaleigh said:
As for the anti-speed members:
Settle down. It sounds that he was only endangering himself and his car. I admit that snapping off pics at that speed is a bit reckless and not at all commendable, but to fly along a deserted road at 140 is a walk in the park for these cars. Even mine remains very composed and stable at that speed.
You took the words out of my mouth.

#20 ·
IMO 140mph under the right conditions is not a problem. Trying to think of what cars in the household haven't been to 140mph...well, there's the Suburban, and the Saab hasn't been there in seven or eight years...

Doing the happy-snaps business while driving is not a good idea, though.

Strongly advise getting a passenger to do the camera work.

#22 ·
Back in '89 had my '87 IROC up to 134 mph on a completely deserted dead end 5 mile long road with no trafic at 2pm in the afternoon.

Started to think what would happen if a deer ran out of the woods or a blown tire. Those pine trees were looking pretty invincible right about then.

Haven't been over 110 mph since.

2 years ago on that very same road a guy in a '99 Z28 burned himself up
when he crashed into those pine trees.

Nothing left of the car and his speed was estimated at 130 when he left the road.

I say no to a passenger taking pics. Just doubles the potential death rate.

#24 ·
I topped the V out at 163mph. I won't try to defend myself because there is absolutely no safe place to do this other than an airport. But I will explain. I rolled the car up to 100mph easily as I'm sure everyone has. Then 120mph and it was pulling very strong. Then 140mph and it was scary smooth. Gave absolutely no sensation of the actual speed. Once there I said, what the hell and rolled it up to 163 and then let off the gas slowly and braked ever so gently. The highway was clear, it was very early in the AM on a Sunday and I will NEVER do it again. Tempting fate once is enough for anyone.

#25 ·
Come on people... tempting fate? 160 MPH in a car built to do precisely that? please... a 160 MPH post on a german forum will not even produce a lifted eyebrow... sure, a forest may not be the best option, but this country has plenty of roads good enough to run faster than that... I still don't get what is the point in spending extra $$ in a lots-of-HP car if you are not going to use that power... More to come in my next post: american autobahn, coming soon...

#26 · (Edited)
b4z said:
I say no to a passenger taking pics. Just doubles the potential death rate.
Back in '98 when we did Euro Delivery on the spousal 540i, it was very nice to cruise along wedged solidly against the 128mph limiter that BMW saw fit to saddle all US-market automatic 5ers with. One stretch we went from Aachen nearly to Bonn with my wife snoozing away in the passenger seat. Of course, we then ground through construction-plus-rush-hour traffic from Bonn to Cologne.

While in France, the French autoroutes technically have a 130kph (81mph) speed limit; not knowing the local enforcement techniques I stayed down to 110mph and was the slowest 5-series on the road. There's a definite pecking order to European freeways and it's just not normal for a 540i to be passed by Golfs, Lagunas, Astras, etc.

We did Euro Delivery on the M5 2.5yr later, this time, unfortunately, we far too often ended up wedged in traffic. Got in a fair amount of 100-110mph cruising but only saw 150 once.

There's a lot of factors at work here. Road quality (far too many US roads are crumbling crap), closing rates and predictability of other drivers' behavior (some Germans will whine about how no one knows what they're doing anymore, but the standard of lane discipline is still far better than anything we see over here), etc.

That said, on the right roads under the right conditions 120-130 is a perfectly comfortable cruising speed as long as you're not diddling with cellphones, nav screens, etc (steering-wheel-mounted buttons are very nice) - but from there to 150 is a big leap in terms of how far ahead you have to plan what you're going to do and be able to see what others around you are going to do.

And, remember, somewhere around 165-170mph there's enough centrifugal force that standard-issue rubber valvestems want to pull themselves out of your wheels. Use the smallest/shortest/lightest metal valvestems you can get.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.