141 MPH pic! - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, 141 MPH pic! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by CVP33 JEM brings up a good point. What is holding the rear down and those speeds? I ...
    ktills45 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: 141 MPH pic!

Quote Originally Posted by CVP33
    JEM brings up a good point. What is holding the rear down and those speeds? I had mine up to 163 mph and it felt very stable, what I described as scary smooth and no sensation of speed. GM must have got it right and created a car that was aero neutral, creating no lift at speed. Or did they? Did I just get lucky?

globed70 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

163 is NOT the true top speed. It is electronically limited not drag limited. Trust me on this, the V is still pulling strong all the way to the limiter. I'd guess that she's capable of at least another 15mph maybe 20mph.
    I trust you, just not your explanation. Top speed is the fastest a car can go, period. The V cannot go any faster than 163, as you WILL hit the rev limiter in 5th gear no matter how hard she pulls. The concept of drag limited comes into play in 6th gear, as their is plenty of revs left but not enough power to overcome DRAG (aerodynamic and rolling resistance in total). I'll make it easy:

Check out the picture at 140mph, about 5600 on the tach, in 5th gear... do the simplified math 6500/5600*140=163!

Or, go for a drive and determine your speed and rpm combination in 5th gear, and do your own math.

Or, go to roadandtrack.com, look up their review on the V and download the PDF datasheet.

Or, trust me when I say it pulls very strong to 163mph and hits the rev limiter... at which time you can upshift to 6th and go on further... as their is not enough power to overcome DRAG (same exact thing as Viper or Corvette)

Or, understand that the CTS-V has a 3.73 axle ratio while the Z06 has something in the neighborhood of 3.42... do the gear swap, and if you assume (just for the moment) that roll resistance and aerodynamic drag are no worse than the Z06, your top speed will be the same.

Now you can trust me.

JEM
    JEM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

JEM brings up a good point. What is holding the rear down and those speeds? I had mine up to 163 mph and it felt very stable, what I described as scary smooth and no sensation of speed. GM must have got it right and created a car that was aero neutral, creating no lift at speed. Or did they? Did I just get lucky?
    I'm no aerodynamicist, but my understanding is:

There's airflow over the top of the car, and airflow underneath the car and through the engine compartment. (everyone repeat after me: duh)

Where Audi screwed up was on the shape of the upper body, the rounded butt of the TT generated a lot of lift.

On many cars airflow underneath is a bigger problem, and airflow through the engine compartment of a front-engine car can be the biggest source of drag.

The designer needs to ensure that only the minimum amount of air needed to cool the engine goes through the engine compartment, that it enters in front of the radiator, that it all goes through the radiator, and that it doesn't try to exit into a high-pressure region under the car (exiting up, or sideways, is better but usually impractical on a production car.)

Under the car the designer needs to avoid structures like big drooping rear bumper covers that trap air under the car and create high-pressure regions.

CVP33 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

globed,

If it means that much to ya', I trust ya.

globed70 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

globed,

If it means that much to ya', I trust ya.
    Actually means very little to me. I actually appreciated when I bought early editions of Viper GTS and M5 having people around to dispell myths and misinformation... they are contagious and do nothing in helping fellow fans decide whether to buy the car in question... and when deciding whether to invest $$$ in modifying their car. Hopefully when more CTS-Vs are delivered, some really knowledgeable guys (of which I am not one) will contribute. Sorry you don't seem to appreciate. Dan

darrelld is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

I appreciate everything all you guys and gals post, very informative and everyone has something to contribute.

Post on Dudes.

CTScop is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

BUILDINGCTSAMG is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Ok how fast can a cts-v go on a dyno (with no air drag) if they removed the top speed limiter?

CVP33 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

Relax Dan I was kidding. Hence the smiley. I also believe that I'm the only one to date to run the caddy up to 163 so I thought I was speaking from experience. I still believe that the caddy is electronically limited to 163 and not drag limited or gear limited. Just my opinion though. Maybe after a trip to More Performance I can confirm.

newv is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Well I guess I'm the second guy to rap this beauty out. I was on an long open strech where I know the road and the cops. Not condoning this speed on a public road but there are better spots than others. Also, I ran for probably a half an hour up in the 120 range and had no overheating problems. This is a car meant for an Autobahn, too many bad drivers in this country though, maybe a trip to Germany is in order this summer?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.