141 MPH pic! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, 141 MPH pic! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Yeah, let's not get too into this. There is a time and place for everything and a 140 mph on ...
    b4z
    b4z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Standard SrX grey/black

Re: 141 MPH pic!

Yeah, let's not get too into this. There is a time and place for everything and a 140 mph on a public road with a dig cam in your hand is not it.

I have to addmit it is pretty cool but maybe on a closed course.

Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition

Quote Originally Posted by Swangin-&-Bangin
    Yeah I bet those V's will get up to 160... I have been 140mph in my 95 Acura Legend Coupe... And all that thing has is a V6 in it...
    5 speed? If so you own a true classic. Don't ever let that baby get away.

gothicaleigh is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS

Thumbs down Re: 141 MPH pic!

Quote Originally Posted by elwesso
    Ill let this thread go for a little longer, then Im going to lock it...
    ONly bad can come out of this!
    Thank you for 'allowing' us this time then.

As for the anti-speed members:
    Settle down. It sounds that he was only endangering himself and his car. I admit that snapping off pics at that speed is a bit reckless and not at all commendable, but to fly along a deserted road at 140 is a walk in the park for these cars. Even mine remains very composed and stable at that speed.

D148L0 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by gothicaleigh
    As for the anti-speed members:
    Settle down. It sounds that he was only endangering himself and his car. I admit that snapping off pics at that speed is a bit reckless and not at all commendable, but to fly along a deserted road at 140 is a walk in the park for these cars. Even mine remains very composed and stable at that speed.
    You took the words out of my mouth.

JEM
    JEM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

IMO 140mph under the right conditions is not a problem. Trying to think of what cars in the household haven't been to 140mph...well, there's the Suburban, and the Saab hasn't been there in seven or eight years...

Doing the happy-snaps business while driving is not a good idea, though.

Strongly advise getting a passenger to do the camera work.

Quote Originally Posted by JEM
    Strongly advise getting a passenger to do the camera work.
    Or do the old fixed video cam trick...

b4z
    b4z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Standard SrX grey/black

Back in '89 had my '87 IROC up to 134 mph on a completely deserted dead end 5 mile long road with no trafic at 2pm in the afternoon.

Started to think what would happen if a deer ran out of the woods or a blown tire. Those pine trees were looking pretty invincible right about then.

Haven't been over 110 mph since.

2 years ago on that very same road a guy in a '99 Z28 burned himself up
    when he crashed into those pine trees.

Nothing left of the car and his speed was estimated at 130 when he left the road.

I say no to a passenger taking pics. Just doubles the potential death rate.

Clintonwmills is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

To let everyone know I did not take the picture, my friend did. Look at the angle!

CVP33 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

I topped the V out at 163mph. I won't try to defend myself because there is absolutely no safe place to do this other than an airport. But I will explain. I rolled the car up to 100mph easily as I'm sure everyone has. Then 120mph and it was pulling very strong. Then 140mph and it was scary smooth. Gave absolutely no sensation of the actual speed. Once there I said, what the hell and rolled it up to 163 and then let off the gas slowly and braked ever so gently. The highway was clear, it was very early in the AM on a Sunday and I will NEVER do it again. Tempting fate once is enough for anyone.

Come on people... tempting fate? 160 MPH in a car built to do precisely that? please... a 160 MPH post on a german forum will not even produce a lifted eyebrow... sure, a forest may not be the best option, but this country has plenty of roads good enough to run faster than that... I still don't get what is the point in spending extra $$ in a lots-of-HP car if you are not going to use that power... More to come in my next post: american autobahn, coming soon...

JEM
    JEM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by b4z
    I say no to a passenger taking pics. Just doubles the potential death rate.
    Back in '98 when we did Euro Delivery on the spousal 540i, it was very nice to cruise along wedged solidly against the 128mph limiter that BMW saw fit to saddle all US-market automatic 5ers with. One stretch we went from Aachen nearly to Bonn with my wife snoozing away in the passenger seat. Of course, we then ground through construction-plus-rush-hour traffic from Bonn to Cologne.

While in France, the French autoroutes technically have a 130kph (81mph) speed limit; not knowing the local enforcement techniques I stayed down to 110mph and was the slowest 5-series on the road. There's a definite pecking order to European freeways and it's just not normal for a 540i to be passed by Golfs, Lagunas, Astras, etc.

We did Euro Delivery on the M5 2.5yr later, this time, unfortunately, we far too often ended up wedged in traffic. Got in a fair amount of 100-110mph cruising but only saw 150 once.

There's a lot of factors at work here. Road quality (far too many US roads are crumbling crap), closing rates and predictability of other drivers' behavior (some Germans will whine about how no one knows what they're doing anymore, but the standard of lane discipline is still far better than anything we see over here), etc.

That said, on the right roads under the right conditions 120-130 is a perfectly comfortable cruising speed as long as you're not diddling with cellphones, nav screens, etc (steering-wheel-mounted buttons are very nice) - but from there to 150 is a big leap in terms of how far ahead you have to plan what you're going to do and be able to see what others around you are going to do.

And, remember, somewhere around 165-170mph there's enough centrifugal force that standard-issue rubber valvestems want to pull themselves out of your wheels. Use the smallest/shortest/lightest metal valvestems you can get.

2004ctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV

The car is supposed to be able to hit 163 in fifth. If you take the tach and speedometer numbers in the pic as 5600 rpm and 140 mph, that puts you right on 163 at 6500 rpm.

I plan to try for that but on a closed track near by when the weather gets better. I don't know that I would trust our roads and other drivers to attempt it even on an interstate. I question your judgement but not your guts

I have hit 210 kph going from Frankfort to Dortmund in a Volvo - it's amazing how easy it is once you travel about 100 klicks at over 180 kph. BTW - I was doing about 190 when two black turbo Carreras blew by me like I was standin' still

CVP33 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

At 163 MPH you are traveling at 239.07 feet per second. Not a speed to make a mistake at. I can think of too many bad things that can happen even on a clear highway.

Swangin-&-Bangin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 DTS

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis
    5 speed? If so you own a true classic. Don't ever let that baby get away.
    No.. It's an Auto 95 Legend Coupe.. But it's still a classic.. That was the last year they made that car.. And what a great car it is!!!

nandanrp is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by CVP33
    At 163 MPH you are traveling at 239.07 feet per second. Not a speed to make a mistake at. I can think of too many bad things that can happen even on a clear highway.
    Is it limited to 163 (since 5th and 6th have the same top speed)? Or is 6th just geared in such a way that you can't get any more out of her?

BTW 144 in the "regular" CTS (2003 5MT) is unbelievably smooth, and having "TOP SPEED FUEL CUTOFF" popup on the Navi screen is a nice surprise. Wish I had a friend to take a picture of that

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.