Free performance 'mods'
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Free performance 'mods' in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Here are some no-cost things that you can do to increase performance (or at least responsiveness): Turn off your A/C ...
    teros1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Lightbulb Free performance 'mods'

Here are some no-cost things that you can do to increase performance (or at least responsiveness):
    • Turn off your A/C - Modern compressors sap only a few HP? Maybe, but they decrease throttle response big-time, even when runing a Maggie. With the A/C off, the throttle response goes from 'superb' to 'amazing.'
    • Run the right tire pressure - 37-40 PSI hot works very well for my 19" PS-2's. I don't know what the difference in rolling resistance is between 35 PSI hot and 38 PSI hot, but our cars are heavy and there's a big reduction in responsiveness at the lower temp. I can feel no reduction in traction. Note: If you live in a '4-season' climate, you'll have to adjust pressures several times a year to make this happen.
    • Reduce exterior noise in the cockpit - Earplugs are commonly used by motorcyclists, maostly to preserve hearing. However, a lesser-known effect is riding faster! Why? Humans naturally avoid loud noise, even noise that they like (rock music, engines, etc) - esp over longer durations. Humans also tend to perform better in calmer environments. So noise and other 'calamity' often causes an avoidance response, and we come out of the throttle (even if just a bit). I don't wear earplugs in the V, but I have sound-reduced it a bunch with Dynamat Extreme ($$$/weight). But even play jazz loud helps me stay in a lower gear longer (free)....
    For many out there, these are 'duh' material. But I hope that they help some folks get more pleasure from these fine machines...at no cost!

Bob
    Maggie, K&N, Corsa, StealthTune, FG2, Sways, etc.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

04CTSVFLA is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Free performance 'mods'

lol, throttle body bypass goes on that list as well, as does removing the cats both which are free mods as well.

wildwhl is offline Cadillac Owners Master

A good tune takes care of the A/C issue - trust me. Just changing the on/off points...

WW

Dennisscars is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-VM 51 track days in Maggied V & 82 in Atom 2 in Volt

But B&B X-pipe sure sounds like music to me.. maybe not to my neighbors first thing in the morning...

I know the sound of maggie screaming in bimmer boy's window as I pull past him sounds even better to me...

Best free mod, remove golf clubs and DB's from trunk..

Actually - the best free mod for a V?

Keep her.

WW

teros1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by wildwhl View Post
    A good tune takes care of the A/C issue - trust me.
    Good point. I have a StealthV tune and love it.

But tunes cost $$$. Also, they typically don't disengage the compressor at partial throttle, which is how we drive most of the time (on the street) and where we feel and judge 'throttle response.'

Maybe I should have qualified this point -- with pedal down above 4000 RPM, I doubt that I'd feel 10 compressors coming off/on. In that mode, the Ms Maggie will not be denied!

The weight reduction comments hit the mark too...our seats, for example, are HEAVY. Folks remove the rear seats on the track....

Bob

Bob -

I'm right there with you.

I've played with the points on the tune, and Stealth's are acutally pretty spot on. I don't recall the on/off points - but they're low enough and done intelligently enough so that part throttle response...well...in response to the M boys, I call it V mode

WW

04CTSVFLA is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

my rear seat felt like it weighed 4-5 lbs max.

trukk is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon

Quote Originally Posted by 04CTSVFLA View Post
    my rear seat felt like it weighed 4-5 lbs max.
    Ditto on that. I was going to take mine out for a track day, but I figured why bother.

-Chris
    2005 CTS-V:No Roof|T2+Eibachs|Corsa|UUC:Shifter, 2pc rotors, B-Lines, Motor/Tran Mounts, Diff Bushings|LPE CAI|FFV IntakeTube|Hotchkis Sways|Kooks 1.75 Coated LTs+cats|KARS III |Mamofied Fast90 + NW90|224/228 111+0 XFI/XE-R .609/.588+Dual Springs|ATI 25% UD Pulley|YT 1.7" UltraLites|Melling HiFlow OP|Cloyes Hex Adjust Timing Set|Lucas 42# Flow Matched Injectors|Katech LS9X Clutch Mustang Dyno Tuned (SAE): 412rwhp / 380 rwtq
    2012 CTS-V:No Roof|Wagon|M6|Recaros|Bone stock (for now) <-- SOLD

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.