Official LS3 release today? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Official LS3 release today? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by klr94ss I know it is a tough sell for general public that doesn't understand HP and Torque ...
    JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Re: Official LS3 release today?

Quote Originally Posted by klr94ss View Post
    I know it is a tough sell for general public that doesn't understand HP and Torque curves and is sold on Peak HP numbers, but I would take the torque and power from a Naturally Aspirated 430HP pushrod V8 over a supercharged 500HP (many of which are overhead cam I believe) motor in the other high end cars. Yes, they peak more HP, but the down low grunt and power of a Pushrod V8 provides a much different power feel and will often feel much more powerful. Plus, it is much less expensive to modify and build power with the pushrod V8.
    Just my opinion on this, and yes Caddy would sell more cars if they come out with some overstated peak HP numbers, but those of us that know the real score can benefit from our knowledge. I do have to say the LS7 would be a TON of fun in a V though That motor is just a work of art.
    Amen brother. To me CTS-V=modern muscle car with tight handling. I wouldnt have bought it any other way.

Related to this issue; have you driven any of the new "300 hp" V-6 cars from Nissan? Talk about peaky engines... But like you said, it is easier to market peak hp numbers than torque curves.

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

Guess I need to tap into my piggy bank, or my girl friend.

klr94ss is offline Cadillac Owners Member

This is great discussion. Too bad 99% of the population would not understand how a 400HP car can run with a 500 HP car all day long. Looking at the overlays on the last dyno chop up you can see we out torque the BMW EVERYWHERE HP is what you brag about, Torque is what makes you go

The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

2007 Shelby Mustang: 500hp and lighter weight, yet same 0-60 times as a V.

Peak HP numbers are for pansies and dyno queens.
    Rest in Peace, J.D. (aka Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

Kingpin08 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

you know what else has a lot of torque? tractors. torque can be manipulated with gearing, horsepower cannot

CVP33 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

Give me a true 430RWHP and RWTQ north of 450FTLBS and now we're talkin'! I hope GM is playin' possum on this one. Now the questions are:

1) What 6 speed can handle the new found power
    2) What rear diff' blah, blah
    3) What suspension set up blah, blah
    4) Finally, at what cost?

1, 2 and 3 are all "Z06 Corvette".

As far as 4? Anyone's guess is as good as mine.

theformer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): His n' hers '06 V's

Don't get me wrong... more horsepower is definitely better. However, I disagree with those that say that GM has to go to 500HP or greater in the CTS-V to be "competive with the Euros."

Look at the comparison.

RS4 = 420HP $66K base
    New M3 = 420ish HP likely $60k-ish
    Current CTS-V = 400HP $52k loaded
    C55 = 362HP $54K

Theoretical CTS-V = 430HP $55k?

Now, I'll admit this falls down a bit looking forward to the '08 C63 with 507HP but the pricing will probably be up in the 60's as well. Of course the current M5 is outta-the-ballpark-high at $90k or whatever.

And yet, the price/performance leader in the luxo V-8 space is clearly the CTS-V. I'd be happiest with great handling and a naturally aspirated V-8. It is such a sweet motor and I hope that exhaust will be an option on the V as well.

lawfive is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2005 Maggied CTS-V; 2004 Lightning

Quote Originally Posted by klr94ss View Post
    I would take the torque and power from a Naturally Aspirated 430HP pushrod V8 over a supercharged 500HP (many of which are overhead cam I believe) motor in the other high end cars. Yes, they peak more HP, but the down low grunt and power of a Pushrod V8 provides a much different power feel and will often feel much more powerful.
    Better still: have your cake and eat it, too.

sj1400 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 ESV

On another note I wonder if the V gets the Z06 motor will the regular C6 folks cry having to make due with 430hp ?

On the Corvette side for 08 the A6 will receive updated software to make the paddle shifting faster.. There's also a new 6 speed manual as well. I know most of you like the 6 speed manual like I do. At some point will the General offer the A6 in the V ?

CTS NV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyhauser View Post
    The hp wars will end soon, but these cars will remain. I think 400 hp is enough, and I bet most CTS-V buyers agree with me.
    Personally, I would easily settle for a measly 436hp and 420+ft/lb with a chassis capable of putting all of that power and torque to the ground.

StealthCTSVJJL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS V

If the Vette will go 4.3 0-60 with the automatic and 2.73 gears with the new LS3, the V should easily get very near that with, say a 3.43 gear and the same automatic tranny despite higher weight, thats faster than the RS4, and probably the new M3 and Lexus LF-I. A 6 speed manual with 3.73 gears that can launch as it should, without wheel hop, should easily do 4.3 which is enough to beat or at the very least match the M5, all for much less $$$. The new M3 will have some very decent HP but again torque will be closer to a G35 than a CTS-V. As a former 2000 Audi S4 owner (chipped and other mods) I can't tell you how many times I blew away e46 M3's, just on the massive torque of the twin turbo setup especially on the street where races are usually short and sweet. Torque rules on the street, HP rules on the spec sheet!

V-Smooth is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '06 Raven V [SOLD]

Quote Originally Posted by sj1400 View Post
    At some point will the General offer the A6 in the V ?

A6 paddle/F1 style please ...if it HAS to be an auto. I'm happy with manual, and the current Tremec should be able to handle the added power/tq. But they should do some work on the linkage, needs to be more precise in my mind, stiffer...but it's not horrible.

V-Smooth is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '06 Raven V [SOLD]

Quote Originally Posted by StealthCTSVJJL View Post
    Torque rules on the street, HP rules on the spec sheet!
    Torque is king, I agree

Quote Originally Posted by sj1400 View Post
    On another note I wonder if the V gets the Z06 motor will the regular C6 folks cry having to make due with 430hp ?
    They had to deal with it in 2004 when the V had the LS6 and the C5 had the LS1, so why not?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.