Official LS3 release today? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Official LS3 release today? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Hmmm... So, the LS3 is going into the new Vette, and a blown LS3 into the SS. So if the ...
    lawfive is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2005 Maggied CTS-V; 2004 Lightning

Re: Official LS3 release today?

Hmmm... So, the LS3 is going into the new Vette, and a blown LS3 into the SS. So if the LS3 is also going into the new CTS-V, that satisfies half of the prediction made by my ex-company's ex-coworker's ex-girlfriend. The other half is a blower option.

Still neck & neck in the vaporware bench race, I and Lord F be...

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

The hp wars will end soon, but these cars will remain. I think 400 hp is enough, and I bet most CTS-V buyers agree with me.

Even with high gas and insurance prices, there will always be enough people like you and me willing to pay that price for a fast and fun car. The high gas prices havent cleared any of the full size SUV's off the road yet here in Chicago.

Ronsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 Black Diamond Sedan,2.55, cold air, ARH; 09 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyhauser View Post
    The hp wars will end soon, but these cars will remain. I think 400 hp is enough, and I bet most CTS-V buyers agree with me.
    Are you kidding?????????? you can never have enough HP

onebadcad is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 V BR 4dr 6spd,'05 C6R 1400+HP, '05 V BEST EVA!!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyhauser View Post
    400 HP is sufficient for the right side of the engine, give me another 400 HP on the left side and I will be happy .

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

Quote Originally Posted by onebadcad View Post
    400 HP is sufficient for the right side of the engine, give me another 400 HP on the left side and I will be happy .

(and the rest of the vehicle that can handle that)

lawfive is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2005 Maggied CTS-V; 2004 Lightning

Quote Originally Posted by Ronsv View Post
    Are you kidding?????????? you can never have enough HP
    But you CAN have too little.

V-Smooth is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '06 Raven V [SOLD]

Quote Originally Posted by Ronsv View Post
    No way the next V will have 430 HP, caddy knows that for the V to sell it must be on par with the RS, AMG and M series cars. The whole point of the V series is to give Cadillac the clout they need to be taken seriously as a high end luxury brand. Caddy needs to be viewed in the same light as the German luxury brands to hold market share. In addition, there have been way to many rumors coming out of the Cadillac camp suggesting 500 HP, no way the car will get a stock LS3. The V series is a halo car for GM, they will do what it takes to maintain a world class performance image, even if it upsets the apple cart a bit with regards to the corvette. Just my 2 cents!

I agree with your $.02 Ron...it needs a supercharger. To compete with the European crowd it must have over 500hp. I will be dissappointed if it doesn't.

Oh, and it better have a strong diff!

HiTechRV is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): STS-V the most powerful Cadillac you can buy for now

My money's on the LS3 and a beefy drivetrain, followed by a SC version later on. Never know 'til it comes out - plans change. Think of the fun we could have with a 6.2 that would stand up to some mods...

klr94ss is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I know it is a tough sell for general public that doesn't understand HP and Torque curves and is sold on Peak HP numbers, but I would take the torque and power from a Naturally Aspirated 430HP pushrod V8 over a supercharged 500HP (many of which are overhead cam I believe) motor in the other high end cars. Yes, they peak more HP, but the down low grunt and power of a Pushrod V8 provides a much different power feel and will often feel much more powerful. Plus, it is much less expensive to modify and build power with the pushrod V8.
    Just my opinion on this, and yes Caddy would sell more cars if they come out with some overstated peak HP numbers, but those of us that know the real score can benefit from our knowledge. I do have to say the LS7 would be a TON of fun in a V though That motor is just a work of art.

The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

You're more right than you know about peak HP numbers. I explain to people all day how the CTS 3.6L outperforms the competition with higher "peak" numbers due to the torque curve from VVT, and they give me this condescending look like, "Sure guy....whatever". 90% of performance customers are paper racers, and all they care about is peak numbers.
    Rest in Peace, J.D. (aka Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

HushH is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Nada

Yep, you guys are exactly right on this. In fact, take a look at the dynograph from a stock 06 M5. It has to get up to 4k rpms before it's even making 300rwtq. And the hp curve looks like Mt. Everest. I'll keep my old pushrod V8 and the extra $40k in my pocket, thank you very much.
    Attached Images

trukk is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon

Quote Originally Posted by HushH View Post
    Yep, you guys are exactly right on this. In fact, take a look at the dynograph from a stock 06 M5. It has to get up to 4k rpms before it's even making 300rwtq. And the hp curve looks like Mt. Everest. I'll keep my old pushrod V8 and the extra $40k in my pocket, thank you very much.
    Something funky there. Why don't the HP and TRQ cross at the requisite 5250?

-Chris
    2005 CTS-V:No Roof|T2+Eibachs|Corsa|UUC:Shifter, 2pc rotors, B-Lines, Motor/Tran Mounts, Diff Bushings|LPE CAI|FFV IntakeTube|Hotchkis Sways|Kooks 1.75 Coated LTs+cats|KARS III |Mamofied Fast90 + NW90|224/228 111+0 XFI/XE-R .609/.588+Dual Springs|ATI 25% UD Pulley|YT 1.7" UltraLites|Melling HiFlow OP|Cloyes Hex Adjust Timing Set|Lucas 42# Flow Matched Injectors|Katech LS9X Twin-Disk ClutchMustang Dyno Tuned (SAE): 412rwhp / 380 rwtq
    2012 CTS-V:No Roof|Wagon|M6|Recaros|Bone stock (for now)

HushH is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Nada

Because the hp/tq scaling isn't the same on each side.

Quote Originally Posted by HushH View Post
    Because the hp/tq scaling isn't the same on each side.
    Doh, missed that. DynoJet's suck.

A quickly hacked up the image to make them meet. Crazy looking HP to TRQ comparison.

-Chris
    Attached Images
    2005 CTS-V:No Roof|T2+Eibachs|Corsa|UUC:Shifter, 2pc rotors, B-Lines, Motor/Tran Mounts, Diff Bushings|LPE CAI|FFV IntakeTube|Hotchkis Sways|Kooks 1.75 Coated LTs+cats|KARS III |Mamofied Fast90 + NW90|224/228 111+0 XFI/XE-R .609/.588+Dual Springs|ATI 25% UD Pulley|YT 1.7" UltraLites|Melling HiFlow OP|Cloyes Hex Adjust Timing Set|Lucas 42# Flow Matched Injectors|Katech LS9X Twin-Disk ClutchMustang Dyno Tuned (SAE): 412rwhp / 380 rwtq

How about a really hacked up version of a dyno of my car laid on top of the 'corrected' M5 graph.

Note that this isn't my current numbers. I used the graph from before my headers were installed, since it also show's a DynoJet comparison number. this was done on a superflow edy current dyno.

Internet bench racing at it's best (including quasi-relevant 'important looking data'). Still interesting to compare the curves. VERY DIFFERENT CARS, for sure.

Back to the LS3. Sorry for following the jack.

-Chris
    Attached Images

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.