Heel & Toe Revisited
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Heel & Toe Revisited in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; April has been a busy month for me so far taking a Bondurant Advanced Road Racing Course (drove a Mustang ...
    50 4Ever is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V (Thunder Grey)

Heel & Toe Revisited

April has been a busy month for me so far taking a Bondurant Advanced Road Racing Course (drove a Mustang Cobra, big POS) and most recently a Level II class at Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch (drove a C6 Z06, C5 Z06, and C6 Coupe). I thought I had heel & toe down but I didn't.

In the advanced classes, especially at Spring Mountain, I learned there are turns you don't brake to slow down for, you brake to transfer weight and balance the car. And you heel & toe in the turn. Before these classes I was braking hard before a turn and doing the heel & toe downshift, all while in a straight line. I had to be able to heel & toe when I was just barely pressing on the brake.

Turn 1 is one of those you don't brake to slow down, you brake to transfer weight to the front. After you have turned in and the left side of the suspension is loaded you do a 4-3 downshift. During the exit of 3 you upshift to 4th. Hard braking and 4-3 downshift before 3. The chicane is between 3 & 4, and right before turn 4 you do a 3-2 downshift. Exiting 4 you upshift to 3rd. Entrance to 5A is braking to turn in. The car never really straightens out through out the 5A-5B complex and the left side of the suspension stays loaded, right before the turn in to 5B you do a 3-2 downshift. Then you up shift and are in 4th when you reach the entrance to 6, which is another turn you brake only to transfer weight to turn in. The area between 6 and 7 you either do a skipshift 4-2 (with a BIG blip) or a 4-3 followed by a 3-2 downshift. Speeds on the back straight can easily exceed 120. Turn 8 (double apex) is another turn you brake to transfer weight, an amazing amount of speed is scrubbed off while you are in the turn. After you turn in you do a 4-3 downshift then in the entrance to 9 you brake and do a 3-2 downshift. Turn 10 is braking to transfer weight again, then after the exit you do a 2-3 & 3-4 upshift and start the process all over.

The reason I went thru this is to show you that not all heel & toe downshifts are done while the car is straight. After turning in one side of the suspension is loaded and if the car is balanced a downshift is safe.

I couldn't do most of these downshifts because I was used to doing heel & toe under heavy braking. With light braking I'd try to heel & toe and my foot would slide off the brake.

I have Autovation pedals on the V and they make it so easy. You should be able to heel & toe no matter how much pressure you have on the brake. Now I practice on the street with very little brake pressure.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

HushH is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Nada

Re: Heel & Toe Revisited

Thanks for the excellent write-up 50. Wish I could get that kind of seat time in. I'll probably only make a couple of track days this year and no instruction unless I do some private sessions.

My last hot laps at Road Atlanta with an instructor driving showed me I am nowhere near mastering heel-toeing and probably never will. I have to get the Autovation pedals though as they sure seem to help.

heavypedal is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '04 Raven CTS-V

I've been practicing my heel toes to and from work with stock pedals for a couple months now. Took advantage of the autovation discount a while back and about to install them this weekend. The more I get used to the stockers, I'm having a hard time thinking how the autovation pedals will help (because I got my rythm/foot placement down with the stockers). Of course, I'll come back on and say "ohh what a difference".

Thanks for the write up 50....great info.

p.s. Is Spring Mountain next to Bunny Ranch?

T

Albertan is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac CTS REDLINE 2006 CTS-V Infared

50 4ever
    Good write up. I wish I could get around to taking a racing class.
    I didn't think it was a bunny ranch, isn't it the "mustang ranch" and not as in cars! Not that I have ever been there of course...

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Don't forget, driving or racing shoes will help a ton. Been driving with my smurf blue Pilotis in the V and it is MUCH easier.

Yeah, I've been trying out different shoes and honestly... I like my dress shoes the best for heel-toeing (wide, flat, and hard)(please, no sexual jokes from the peanut gallery )

Was looking at the Piloti prototipo's...what did you end up getting big jim?

http://www.piloti.com/products/produ...rod_sku=PR16-3

T

Quote Originally Posted by heavypedal View Post
    Yeah, I've been trying out different shoes and honestly... I like my dress shoes the best for heel-toeing (wide, flat, and hard)(please, no sexual jokes from the peanut gallery )

Was looking at the Piloti prototipo's...what did you end up getting big jim?

http://www.piloti.com/products/produ...rod_sku=PR16-3

T
    Those are what I got in the blue/gray/white combo.

Correction. According to Piloti that's race blue/white/smoke.

I really like the black/orange/white but I hate the Orioles, and as a Red Sox fan, that's all I can think of when I see those shoes.

Dennisscars is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-VM 51 track days in Maggied V & 82 in Atom 2 in Volt

T
    Your right on with wide.. I use my old Duffs skater shoes.. narrow doesn't work.

dammit Jim....those were the ones I was looking at. I guess I want to be Big Jim when I grow up

Now I know what to get you for Christmas.. an nice big Orioles jersey.

T

50 4Ever is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V (Thunder Grey)

I've been practicing my heel toes to and from work with stock pedals for a couple months now. Took advantage of the autovation discount a while back and about to install them this weekend. The more I get used to the stockers, I'm having a hard time thinking how the autovation pedals will help (because I got my rythm/foot placement down with the stockers). Of course, I'll come back on and say "ohh what a difference".

Thanks for the write up 50....great info.

T
    For me, once the foot is on the brake pedal, the raised aluminum areas do not let my foot slide off the pedal. My foot slides off the stock rubber pedal.

Those Piloti's are the ones I have, except they're black/Corvette race yellow. I ordered them in January from Bondurant's website.

T
    Sherri's Ranch (very expensive) and the Chicken Ranch are very close. The famous Moonlite Bunny Ranch and Bunny Ranch 2 are in Mound House, a little city outside of Carson City. The Mustang Ranch is was Sparks, outside of Reno, until the IRS closed them down. I think the Old Bridge Ranch, a few blocks away has taken their name, at least they have the old neon signs. Don't ask me how I know all these things...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.