My wife's 2007 335i vs. my 2004 CTS-V
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, My wife's 2007 335i vs. my 2004 CTS-V in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I'll bet you thought I'd give you a driving comparison....well, I can't since my wife won't let me drive her ...
    pmsteinm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (Blue Diamond Manual/Recaros/Nav/Suede/Polished)

My wife's 2007 335i vs. my 2004 CTS-V

I'll bet you thought I'd give you a driving comparison....well, I can't since my wife won't let me drive her new 335i sedan..

But I can at least comment on the interior and riding in it:

1) I like the interior a lot more than the CTS. No real surprise though.
    2) It feels faster, but I'm just a passenger and cars always feel faster when you aren't driving.
    3) Ride quality is a little softer, but not by much (we got the sport package).
    4) I like iDrive. It's really handy once you get used it. I really like how NOTHING is locked out when driving (nav/personal settings/etc). And the lawyer screen goes away after 10 seconds no matter what.
    5) I like some features of the BMW nav and some of the Cadillac nav...combine the best from both and it would be great.
    6) Auto wipers are great (my 2000 STS had them too).
    7) The seats are better and more supportive. Love that extendable thigh support.
    8) Shifter feels great (from the passenger side anyhow). Yes...she got the manual, her 1st.
    9) Bluetooth is cool

Based on the test drive 2 months ago (335i auto...not manual like my wife's):
    1) The stabilty system is much more conservative. In bad weather I wish ours was stricter in normal mode since we do have the comp mode option.
    2) Acceleration from a stop feels fast...but not hearing an LS6 when you accelerate makes the whole processes seem dull.

That's the main stuff I can think of right now. Overall I'd say the 335 is a "softer" car...more relaxing but still allows you to toast Rustangs and rice boys. My wife says the V is a lot more "work" to drive. I might agree with that if I actually got a chance to drive her car and see for myself. The V is prob more fun though when driven hard.

Ask questions if you care to know more.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

Re: My wife's 2007 335i vs. my 2004 CTS-V

04CTSVFLA is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

your wife wont let you drive her car that you probably paid for....I wonder who wears the pants in that household....lol....had to give you shit for that!

However, I think once you line the two cars up youll see the V is quicker. The BMW's power is porbably just more linear so it feels as fast....and while shes being the JAP in the Beamer.....your the BADASS in the 4door vette in style.

ctsvflorida is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '04 Plat CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by 04CTSVFLA View Post
    your wife wont let you drive her car that you probably paid for....I wonder who wears the pants in that household....lol....had to give you shit for that!
    I was going to be a bit more harsh than that but thanks FLA, you saved me!

As far as the driving scenario...what the hell do you know? LMAO

Just kidding...I think! Just steal it one day when she's out and post up! Whenever the day comes that you guys get divorced 88% chance of that, you'll regret her bossing you around! Sorry guy but you asked for it!

04CTSVFLA is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

lmao brian

TrazzNJ is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V Light Platinum ...8800 Mi.

...I expected all that. That's ok...I don't let her drive my car. And one day when I have my M5, STS-V, or the 550hp CTS-V everyone is dreaming about, she won't be driving it.

My dad still hasn't let me drive his STS either...maybe it's because I keep asking him if it has any wheelhop problems.

I think I have an undeserved reputation of being "hard" on cars.

ntechnic is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I really hope you can drive it and post your impressions. I've had 13 warranty claims severe enough to require leaving the car overnight and getting a loaner--that's an average of every 7 weeks. A friend of mine has a 330i, I asked how his dealers service department is, he doesn't know, after three years, he's still never had a need to visit them--yes, not one thing has needed repair.

So, this makes me think about migrating from CTS-v to 335i in 11 months when the lease is up. There won't be a new CTS-v yet, and I don't want to move down to the regular CTS, so my choice is buying my car, with all of it's scary quality issues, or leasing something like the 335i (my car is company car, leased by my corporation).

So, questions you can answer:

What's the interior space like 335i vs CTS-v? Hows the front seat space, the back seat space, and the trunk compare?

How's the road and wind noise compare?

You got the sport package, so how do the run flats on the 33i compare to the run flats on the V. Do they ride better? Are they cheaper to replace? Have you heard anything about their wear rate?

Thanks in advance,

ntechnic

Dooman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Black and Tan STS

Quote Originally Posted by ntechnic View Post
    I really hope you can drive it and post your impressions. I've had 13 warranty claims severe enough to require leaving the car overnight and getting a loaner--that's an average of every 7 weeks. A friend of mine has a 330i, I asked how his dealers service department is, he doesn't know, after three years, he's still never had a need to visit them--yes, not one thing has needed repair.

So, this makes me think about migrating from CTS-v to 335i in 11 months when the lease is up. There won't be a new CTS-v yet, and I don't want to move down to the regular CTS, so my choice is buying my car, with all of it's scary quality issues, or leasing something like the 335i (my car is company car, leased by my corporation).

So, questions you can answer:

What's the interior space like 335i vs CTS-v? Hows the front seat space, the back seat space, and the trunk compare?

How's the road and wind noise compare?

You got the sport package, so how do the run flats on the 33i compare to the run flats on the V. Do they ride better? Are they cheaper to replace? Have you heard anything about their wear rate?

Thanks in advance,

ntechnic
    How about the 300hp version of the new CTS w/ 6 speed for a 2-year stint? Looks on par interior wise with the 3 series and has the V series suspension.

Dooman has a good point about the 2008 CTS.

But to answer ntechnic's questions:

Interior space is close, the 335 being a little narrower. Front seat legroom is about the same. The trunk is a joke. Barely fits the 2 suitcases we take on trips.

335 has less wind/road noise. And no rear-end whine.

Its hard to tell how the runflats ride since the whole car feels different. They cost as much as the F1-SC EMT tires the V came with. I plan to replace them with the Pirelli high performance all seasons (non-runflat). There is no spare tire well though, so the V will have to be our long distance trip car.

I am very curious to see what kind of warranty work the BMW needs. There is a slight rattle in the right rear door that started the 2nd day of ownership....

ctsvflorida is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '04 Plat CTS-V

You guys have to understand that the 'warranty' work that many of us has had is because we drive our cars pretty hard! Now, PMSTEINS wife will not beat the thing like we do or drive it hard like many of us do! The average Joe that isn't even aware of any forum, or doesn't care, and drives it like most people drive Vettes then he won't have hardly any warranty issues!
    I have had very few warranty issues and most were minor little things that I have had with every car I have ever owned. My rear has only been replaced for whining and not blowing and it wasn't that bad either. Of course there is no reason to have to put up with a whining rear in any new car!
    BMW's have the same problems we have and possibly more as my friend just turned in his 645i conv. and it had a list of issues. I am sure your wife will drive more subtle than him hence few trips to the dealer. Good luck with the 335i...to your wife anyway!

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by pmsteinm View Post
    ... I am very curious to see what kind of warranty work the BMW needs. There is a slight rattle in the right rear door that started the 2nd day of ownership....
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Falkolade is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade, 2004 Cts-V, 2006 Hummer H3

I love the 335i's in coupe form... i dunno the sedan doesn't do it for me, too much of a chick car (hence your wifes love of it)... but the coupe... oh oh the drop top with the hardtop is actually the best of both worlds... maybe if caddy is actually working on a coupe v... they should add a drop top... maybe thats what the xlrv was for?

v84life is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05CTS-v plat, 07 Escalade quicksilver

I've got a question. Anybody with a 335i stick do a clutch drop at about 4k or so and see if there is any wheel hop. MY quess is yes. I drove a M5 about 3 years ago and it hopped just like our cars. Just once is all I ask

ctsvflorida is right about the warranty work in some cases. Warranty work because I drive the car "too hard" doesn't bother me too much (but it does bother me). What bothers me are the other things like peeling nav buttons and the sun visor cover comming off.

I have a feeling that the BMW will be far from perfect though.

v84life: its funny you should bring that up. Just yesterday my wife said her car's almost broken in and that I'd have to teach her how to launch. I said "that's easy, rev to 4k rpm and take your foot of the clutch...and hope it doesn't wheel hop". However, since the 335 doesn't have a limited slip rear end, I wonder what will happen?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.