Ran out of gas
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Ran out of gas in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; The low fuel warning does not give you much range. I was trying to run the fuel down as far ...
    JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Ran out of gas

The low fuel warning does not give you much range. I was trying to run the fuel down as far as possible, and I only went maybe 15 miles after the warning first came on. My other cars have always been at least 2 gallons after the light comes on. Lesson learned, dont push the CTS-V low fuel warning.

So I was stuck on the side of the road, about 1/4 mile from the gas station that I was on my way to ironically, until my wife came to bail me out. But it was cool, the road was next to a rail line and my son got to see about 4 commuter trains go by.

To add salt to the wound, a guy in a mustang cobra, and another in a Charger slowed down to gawk at the "broken-down" Caddy on the side of the road

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Kmajecki is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

Re: Ran out of gas

I've shared a similar fate. I actually pulled into the gas station, thought it looked a little scrubby so i pulled out of it and made it about 10 ft. Entrance back to the station had quite a dip so there was to be no pushing it. I guess i was lucky to be about 10 ft away but felt kinda silly buying a $20 gas can to fill up my car next to the curb. Long story short, the warning gives very little notice.

BLACK_CTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '04 Raven CTS-V - Maggie'd

Hmmm - at my current fuel consumption rate, 15 miles is about 2 gallons

vettethret is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Dodge viper srt-10, 07 V

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyhauser View Post
    The low fuel warning does not give you much range. I was trying to run the fuel down as far as possible, and I only went maybe 15 miles after the warning first came on. My other cars have always been at least 2 gallons after the light comes on. Lesson learned, dont push the CTS-V low fuel warning.

So I was stuck on the side of the road, about 1/4 mile from the gas station that I was on my way to ironically, until my wife came to bail me out. But it was cool, the road was next to a rail line and my son got to see about 4 commuter trains go by.

To add salt to the wound, a guy in a mustang cobra, and another in a Charger slowed down to gawk at the "broken-down" Caddy on the side of the road
    Same exact thing happened to me. I was PISSED. I can drive 25 miles on my lexus when the fuel light comes on. The problem is there's no secondary warning system. Every other car I've owned the fuel light comes on THEN it switches over to fuel now. This things lights go on and you dont know where you stand. It doesnt give you miles to zero, it just says low fuel. Shitty system if you ask me. Hopefully they fix it on the next one.

RightTurn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

I almost ran out of gas in my CTS, but only because I was looking at the temp gauge and thought I had half a tank. Just felt like sharing my personal humiliation.

Dennisscars is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-VM 51 track days in Maggied V & 82 in Atom 2 in Volt

Low range = start walking

1/4 tank same as fuel warning.

platinum_plus is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

i usually fill up and just switch my info meter to fuel used. once it reaches 16.5 gallons, i know im close to pushing my car!

Only other car I had that was this bad, was my 92 Saturn. It was empty at the last hash line, same as this car, and lost probably a fifth or sixth of its horsepower below 1/4 tank.

bossplayer is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Redline

Quote Originally Posted by Dennisscars View Post
    Low range = start walking

1/4 tank same as fuel warning.
    Ditto on that, our cars suck down the gas and the warning just isn't good enough.

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

If you search through the other numerous threads here about people running out of gas one theme seems prevalent. If you wait until the low fuel light comes on you will get approx 15 miles before the car dies. Some made it only 10, some up to 20, but 15 is the magic number. That is the V. If you monitor the DIC computer for amount of fuel used, when it says you've burned 16 gallons you better fill up quickly.

GMBOUND is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

We have two tools, "Fuel Used" & "Fuel Range" If you know you're getting to the 1/4 tank mark and there is no Shell in the vicinity, you should switch to one of these immediately to calc. just how much driving you got left before you must stop at one of the cheap stations.
    However you can't wait until the warning comes on to switch to Fuel Range cause by then all you will see is "LOW RANGE" which at this time doesn't tell us anything we didn't know anyway!

It isnt a big deal, I just had no idea there was so little reserve. Now I know. I usually fill up between 1/4 and 1/2 tank anyway. I was going low this time so I could put in fuel inj cleaner.

GMBOUND is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyhauser View Post
    It isnt a big deal, I just had no idea there was so little reserve. Now I know. I usually fill up between 1/4 and 1/2 tank anyway. I was going low this time so I could put in fuel inj cleaner.
    Too bad you didn't have a new fuel filter with you, you could've changed it out while you was waiting on your wife and not have to worry about getting gas on you!

ahahnu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 LS6 V Stealth Grey; '14 Z71 SLT Sierra 1500 Stealth Grey

When the warning comes on you do get around a gallon. It all depends on howyou drive to determine how far you will go before running out. I ran out once, and was lucky enough to be able to pull into a parking lot. Plus I go to the gas station all the time and they let me borrow a red can to go put gas in to come back to fill up. It sucks. You just have a snarling V8 that sucks down gas. I.E. gas guzzler tax you paid when buying the car.

1Sonterra is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V

Two out of gas days in the V. Wife 1 and myself 1. Wife was 1st, and I was originally mad that she let herself get in that bad situation, and had to have gas delivered on the side of the road to her. 2nd was me, had so little warning that I actually ran out as I pulled into the parking space at work. One push of On Star and 34 minutes later, Cadillac roadside assistance was there with complimentary gas to get me back on the road. (Thank you Ken Batchelor Cadillac for supporting this area when other dealers do not!)

I respect the 1/4 tank rule now.....and apologized to the Mrs. on the situation!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.