Ran out of gas - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Ran out of gas in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; You guys need to know that you DO NOT WANT TO RUN ANY CAR with less than 1/4 tank full. ...
    z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

Re: Ran out of gas

You guys need to know that you DO NOT WANT TO RUN ANY CAR with less than 1/4 tank full. When you drive using fuel from the bottom of the tank, you suck all of the dirt into the fuel system. Some of that dirt goes by the filters.

STOP DRIVING ON BOTTOM OF TANK!!

Ed

blown black caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Swapped CTS-V for Camaro ZL1

Please explain how "dirt goes by the filter"? If that were the case your car would run poorly due to clogged fuel injectors.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by z06bigbird View Post
    You guys need to know that you DO NOT WANT TO RUN ANY CAR with less than 1/4 tank full. When you drive using fuel from the bottom of the tank, you suck all of the dirt into the fuel system. Some of that dirt goes by the filters.

STOP DRIVING ON BOTTOM OF TANK!!

Ed
    Never heard of that before, but I dont know enough to dispute you. I do know some cars' efficiency greatly drops when fuel gets below a certain level. I dont think the V is one of them though, I didnt really notice any drop in power when I was down there.

But like I said I always fill up before a 1/4 tank except when I am adding fuel injector cleaner.

daytripper is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Been there, done that 3 times now. Always within a mile or two of the station I'm shooting for. For those who don't drive their car below a half tank of gas, you must live at the gas station. I get an indicated reading of about 197 mile range when I fill up, and usually less than 100 miles at half a tank. Who drives less than a hundred miles before filling up (and those are commuter miles). Don't even get me started on where you are at half a tank on hard driven miles. I commute about 45 miles a day (passing no stations on the way) and trying to sqeeze in one last commute on the bottom of the tank leaves me walking. How I miss my old V-8 BMW in those situations. Always left me plenty of reserve (the range indicator on that car actually went to 0 and still gave you enough gas to stretch to a station).

I hope the next V gets about a five gallon larger gas tank to go with the new, more powerful engine.

Brian R.

ahahnu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 LS6 V Stealth Grey; '14 Z71 SLT Sierra 1500 Stealth Grey

Thread jack: Brian, do you still live on the River? I hope you are making out ok with all the rain we have been having.

daytripper is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by ahahnu View Post
    Thread jack: Brian, do you still live on the River? I hope you are making out ok with all the rain we have been having.
    Yeah, I'm still here. River is still in its banks, but its projected by NOAA to rise 4.5' by tomorrow, so I'm crossing my fingers that it stays that way.
    On the plus side, I was able to give the V a much needed bath yesterday before the rains, but on the minus side I'm not sure if the garage will stay dry.

Brian R.

dqw1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Let's see, a big ass V8, less than 1/4 tank of gas and you don't get gas because an idiot light has'nt come on yet...you're gonna be walking.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dqw1 View Post
    Let's see, a big ass V8, less than 1/4 tank of gas and you don't get gas because an idiot light has'nt come on yet...you're gonna be walking.
    I believe already listed why I went below a quarter tank.

RockinV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac Redline CTS-V

Wow you guys are great!! I had a rather trying weekend with the V (posted the thread tonite… Couple of mods...)
    …I started out doing a couple mods and ended up with a couple I didn’t plan on.
    Anyway, after reading your stories I was able to crack a smile, and well now... I feel a bit better.

Thanks for the fuel gauge lesson... I have had the light come on once, and waited until I got off work to fill up… I didn’t realize how close I was cutting it.

…And it would have been real bad if I ran out at work, since...

I Work at a Oil Refinery!!!

vettethret is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Dodge viper srt-10, 07 V

Quote Originally Posted by dqw1 View Post
    Thats funny because its never happened in my big ass v-10 or any of my big ass corvettes? The idiot that designed this feature wasnt to brite. EVERY car I've owned has had miles to 0. Once you hit zero miles you still have 5 miles. The V guage system is garbage pure and simple. As well as when you out it into reverse only one mirror goes down. Maybe that's why Toyota/Lexus is about to surpass GM as the largest auto maker in the worl, superior product. That being said, I'll always buy GM even with there numerous faults.

Miller is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 Raven V

I actually ran out of gas during my "test" drive. The look on the sales persons face was priceless. We then walked back to the dealership to sign the papers. He said in 14 years this had never happened and was VERY embarrassed!

Albertan is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac CTS REDLINE 2006 CTS-V Infared

Rockin V
    Many years ago I also worked at an oil refinery. Worked most of the units and even did a shift foreman training. Then I got to shut it down! Mostly really boring with moments of sheer terror! To this day ESSO means Every Saturday and Sunday Off!
    Bruce

GMBOUND is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by vettethret View Post
    As well as when you out it into reverse only one mirror goes down. .
    Why would you want both mirrors to go down?? Let's say your parallel parking. The passenger side mirror goes down to see the curb, the driver side mirror stays up to make sure nobody's slamming into your rear!

bossplayer is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Redline

Quote Originally Posted by GMBOUND View Post
    Why would you want both mirrors to go down?? Let's say your parallel parking. The passenger side mirror goes down to see the curb, the driver side mirror stays up to make sure nobody's slamming into your rear!
    Yes, I too, want the other mirror to stay up. It isn't a mistake

tx_metabaron is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Coupé

I'm pretty sure that's an option you can set,along with the honk,headlights timing after closing etc...
    My mirror did not do that when I got mine and I changed it so it did.
    I'm sure you can also go the other way around

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.