Cadillac Owners Forum banner
6K views 20 replies 20 participants last post by  -1- 
#1 · (Edited)
I was wondering, what are the demographics of those who purchased the CTS-V. I have a tricked out mustang and ready to get something else, something more luxurious. I have that need for speed however. ALthough not supper luxurious, I was considering a Z06 Vette. I had read about the CTS-V and saw it this weekend at the Ft Lauderdale auto show. Very nice car. I was wondering though, I am 29, almost 30 and don't want to drive an "old mans car" Please don't take offense. I am an attorney so a loud hot rod (such as my current mustang) might not be the way to go. What is everyone's ages and professions who bought the CTS-V, the GM rep really couldn't answer this question.

On a side note, with regard to the wheel hop, does anyone think it is the 3.73 gear ratio in the car that might cause this? After I put in my 3.73 rear end in my mustang I had some pretty bad wheel hop and had to put Steeda springs to tighten it up and make it a little lower to the ground.

Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
Canesfins said:
I was wondering, what are the demographics of those who purchased the CTS-V. I have a tricked out mustang aned ready to get something else, something more luxurious. I have that need for speed however. ALthough not supper luxurious, I was considering a Z06 Vette. I had read about the CTS-V and saw it this weekend at the Ft Lauderdale auto show. Very nice car. I was wondering though, I am 29, almost 30 and don't want to drive an "old mans car" Please don't take offense. I am an attorney so a loud hot rod migh not be the way to go. What is everyone's ages and professions who bought the CTS-V, the GM rep resally couldn't answer this question.

On a side note, with regard to the wheel hop, does anyone think it is the 3.73 gear ration in the car that might cause this? After I put in my 3.73 rear end in mu mustang I had some pretty bad wheel hop and had to put Steeda springs to tighten it up and make it a little lower to the ground.

Thanks in advance.
31 year old commercial law attorney here, and loving my CTS-V. Also have a 2002 Viper RT/10. Like fast cars!! :coolgleam

#4 ·
Gads............It is looking like I am the Geezer of the group. 44 and I own a technology services business. This is my first Cadillac and if they had not made a REAL sports car I would have stuck with the German marks. Before I saw the CTS-V had anyone even suggested that I would drive "Grandpas Brand" I would have laughed in their face. However the V kicks butt.

As for you being an attorney................I'm sorry about that....JK.... But the V will be perfect for you because you get your sports car without excessive flash. You can still look conservative with your sedan....................that is until you leave 200 foot tire stripes out of the office parking lot.:lildevil:

#6 ·
:) Can't comment on actual demographics. I saw my first CTS-V today at a dealer in Richmond, VA. Sticker price $51,000. Black with beige interior. This is a BEAUTIFUL car. The one thing that struck me the most - COMPLETE CAR -NOTHING TO ADD. Looks great, wonderful wheels & tires, XM radio, sunroof, NAV. Can't think of anything else I'd want. I think this car would appeal to young & old.Might consider one with the 2005 model year around the corner. :)

Don
-1-

#8 ·
38 y/o Vice President of a $600 million + retail company. Ordered a GTO and planned to 'mod' it to 400 horse. After figuring $30,000 + $6-7,000 in mods would still leave me lacking navigation, sunroof, heated seats and many other options. I decided the $45,000 Caddy was exactly what I really wanted.

#9 ·
Well, maybe I take the geezer award

I'm 52 and bought the car because I don't want to drive a vette or anything else that screams "look at me"

I go back to a 65 mustang with 255 hp and a 4 speed and glass packs - at 18 I was driving my ego around. I had a mid engine buzz bomb in my twentys along with a racing bike. a little past that now.

The v series allows me to separate myself fom my friends with their bmw's and benz but keep the performance in an everyday car.

I manage a research and engineering group so you can bet that I've checked out the car and it's competition

If you're worried about you image, this car won't help - in fact, no car will

#11 ·
:golden:Gotcha all beat! I am 61, a VP of Sales & Marketing, and my company car is a leased Mercedes, which I am turning in to buy a CTS-V. My other car is a BMW M Roadster, which is my 5th BMW, and the 2nd to be built in the good ole USA.

I had grown to hate American cars when they started delivering inferior quality, lackluster, mediocre crap in the early 80's. It took the Japanese and the Europeans to wake them up!

I work for a Japanese company but I haven't ever liked Japanese cars other than the 1971 Datsun 240Z that I bought new and drove for 7 years. I love German cars but lately I don't care for the latest designs at BMW, courtesy of Chris Bangle from Wisconsin, and Mercedes doesn't think we are smart enough to shift for ourselves.

Being an engineer and a die hard lover of fast cars, the CTS-V seems like a great buy and I am looking forward to taking delivery in May. Besides, my company is a major supplier to GM and I thought it was only fitting that they should give me a discount on one of their products. God knows they make us give them a discount on ours!

I love following all your posts and I will report on my car when I get it.

#12 ·
I started driving when there were hydramatics and three speeds on the column, unless you had at least a 3/4 ton truck, and then it might have a four speed on the floor. I'm a full time mediator, and inactive member of the bar.
Cadillac is really on a roll, so the demographics are changing almost as I write this. The 6 speed probably self-limits the car to real enthuiasts of all ages who have been looking for a great American sports sedan and have the wherewithall to afford it. I suspect these are usually guys who were thinking of M5s and AMGs and S4 Audis and such.
My V is black, and seems to catch the eye of all ages, from kids on the street corner, to guys driving along in older Chevys to women of all ages who really like its lines and stance. Where I live everyone drives trucks, SUVs, BMWs and Mercedes, and they all like this car. Day before yesterday I had a guy follow me around in his S430 until I parked the car and he came over. Yesterday I had to go to town to the grocery store, and a woman driving her Suburban had dropped off her kids and driven around the parking lot to look it over when I came out and we had a chat.
Have experienced no wheel hop. Perhaps you have to dump the clutch with the engine up over 3000 rpms or something. My own suspicion is that the road surface was uneven and the driver didn't know how to compensate for that and just left the accelerator down, but who knows.
Buy one if you can find one. This is a very special all around performance vehicle that is great fun to drive and truly a bargain when compared to anything that even comes close.

s

#13 ·
I fit somewhere in the middle...

26 Year old, previous owner of Impala SS (which was sold to pay for CTS-V). I was looking at CTS when it first came out and figured that I would spend as much over the life of the CTS modding it after the 38 K sticker. So, I decided to buy the V. I have had it for 2 weeks and I have loved every minute of it.

I like fast sedans because I am bigger guy and this was the one to beat. Also, if you consider how I sold my impala for exactly what I bought it for (because it was well maintained and a limited production car) I think that this is a reasonable investment that I can enjoy. Yes, I know, a car is not a good investment, but limited production is better than a Honda Civic.

BTW: I am not executive VP of anything... just a lowly product manager for a technology company.

CTSVETT

#14 ·
31 year old with a wife a two kids under the age of 3. The family situation ruled out the option of owning my lifelong dream of a 'vette until my kids grew up. The V allows me to experience the thrill of driving, but still has room for the two child seats in the rear. And yes, the car seats will be in when I take it to the dragstrip at the end of April.

Cadillac has hit a high note with this car. The number one reason I chose the V over the BMW/Mercedes was the fact that I can get service work done locally or just about anyhwere I drive since I live in Fargo, ND. After 2000 miles I don't feel like I gave up anything going with the Caddy.

I am a little disappointed in some of the 'gadget' features that are lacking though. Like back up warning/cameras, MP3 playback and the ability to display more than one line of driver information at a time. Also, the thumbwheel on the steering wheel would be nice to have. This aside, I sure feel like driving again. I haven't been inspired to get behind the wheel in a while. Thanks Cadillac.

#15 · (Edited)
34, wife and two kids. Needed 4 doors and had to have some sport car appeal. Self employed - own a mid size commercial printing company and a graphic design firm.

Always loved muscle-cars, and was going to buy a Volvo. Glad I didn't.

On a side note took the V on the first out of town trip with it today. Cruise set at 75 and travelled just shy of 200 miles - 24.6 mpg for the trip according to the DIC. A few runs to 100+ but the coppers were thick - so caution prevailed.

Great car.

I love it and so does my wife. :D

#16 ·
59 yrs wife 58. Ctsv is wife's car which is black on black. 2002 black on black Z06 vette which stays in garage except weekends. I drive black 98 SS s-10 pickup to work. Wife drives V to work. Took delivery March 18th and love it. Great performance, Great ride, a pleasure to drive! Greenville, N.C.

#17 ·
Turn 52 today. Executive at very large company. Wife + 3 kids, so sports car not an option. Have always loved driving (even NYC taxis back in college), and after having driven BMWs for over 10 years figured the decision would be whether to go with the new 5-series or a pre-owned from the final year of the previous 7-series (not at all impressed with the new 7). My wife kept bugging me to try the CTS based on looks, but it would never occur to me to buy GM product (have owned Italian, French, German (Audi and BMW), Swedish, Japanese (RX7, MDX), and the original Ford Probe GT Turbo, but have never respected GM products). Finally test-drove the 3.6 CTS just to "check the box", and was shocked ... then went back and consecutively tested the 530 and the CTS, and concluded they were virtually equivalent in driving capability and seating comfort, but the CTS is finer-looking and a relative "bargain" for comparable equipment.

Then read what type of engine and transmission they were putting into the V, and read about the suspension improvements, and placed my order without seeing one in person. Figure it fits my profile: My age (and "Caddy")sounds like "old man", but my body (and CTS) feels much younger than that sounds, and I'm still a teenager at heart (thus the V).

Have had it for 2 weeks now, and couldn't be happier. The acceleration is about what I expected, but the handling is even better than I had hoped, and the gadgetry is a blast .... and I feel like I got a real bargain.

But ..... still nervous about GM quality level holding up over time.

#19 ·
I am a 44 year old CFO of an automotive related manufacturing company.

My black CTS-V has just over 500 miles on it. My other current cars include a 99 C5 fixed roof coupe 6M (7.0L C5R based motor in the works), a 96 Impala SS, and a 97 Firebird Formula Hardtop 6M.

Your dealer should be able to give you the demographics if they care to be helpful. My dealer recently went to training on the CTS-V and gave me a copy of portions of the training literature. I am traveling tonight so I don't have access to it but going purely by memory, some of the demographics are as follows:
Primarily male
Age 38 to 50
Mean household income ~$180k with a pretty good percentage >~$250k
Performance enthusiast (lots of discussion on this in the materials)

Please remember, this is purely from memory. If anyone is interested, I can post more completely when I return home.

#21 ·
:) CTSV Owner, your my kind of guy (or person). I bet you're the baddest mechanic on the block driving to work in your V. Things like that get you motivated to get out of bed every morning. :worship:

Don
-1-

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.