V oil change
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, V oil change in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I have changed the oil on my previous car many times. (impala SS) I have not however, done it on ...
    ctsvett is offline FAQ is your Friend
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

V oil change

I have changed the oil on my previous car many times. (impala SS) I have not however, done it on a LS6. This may sound like a newbie question, but can someone post the quick step by step on a V oil change? Do you need a special tool to remove the drain plug? (I thought I heard that somewhere).

Thanks,

Reed
    CTSVETT

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

benjet is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: V oil change

Did my 2nd change today. No special tools required, basic box wrenches and oil filter grabber tool would be good.

You will need 7* quarts of your favorite flavor of oil.
    Delco PF-46 Filter
    Drain plug (rubber) washer (if you need the part# for this I can go look it up)

1. Open hood, and open engine oil filler cap, raise car (prefer warm to hot oil).
    2. Using a box wrench (no I don't even recall what size), open the oil drain plug, allow all the oil to drain into a proper oil recyling container.
    3. Remove filter (may require some basic oil filter removal tool) - beware more oil coming out here.
    4. Replace with fresh filter with the top O ring oiled sufficently. Tighten.
    5. Clean off metal shavings from oil drain plug and replace rubber washer
    6. Reinstall Drain plug - tight.
    7. Clean off any oil that has splashed/spilled or otherwise come into contact with the underbody, oil pan or floor.
    8. Lower car and pour in 5 OR 6 quarts of oil. Try not to spill any.
    9. Start the car, while monitoring oil pressure in the DIC. You should see an oil warning, since for a few moments there is not enough oil in circulation. This should go away in a few seconds. Shut off the car.
    10. Check oil level and add to full if necessary. Mine took about 6.25 quarts. Replace filler cap, close hood.
    11. Reset Oil life in NAV/DIC by (with car running) going to INFO>Oil Life>RESET (Press and HOLD until XXX turns to 100%)
    12. DRIVE, Enjoy, DRIVE, Enjoy, DRIVE, Enjoy

HTH
    YMMV - Use at your own risk I'm not a Tim Taylor but I can play one on TV.
    -Ben

*No it doesn't take 7 quarts....just takes a bit more than 6 so you need 7 bottles to obtain the proper result (or use the leftover bottle from the last change )

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.