First oil change
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, First oil change in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Despite the nav showing 91% oil life left, I decided to do an oil change, since I just got the ...
    JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

First oil change

Despite the nav showing 91% oil life left, I decided to do an oil change, since I just got the 2005 V, and dont know when (if ever, only 2900 miles on the car) the oil was changed. And if it was, it might not have been mobil 1 put in. And I had to go under the car anyway to install the cags eliminator.

Anyway, this was one of the easiest cars on which I have ever done an oil change, and I have done alot. Everything was located well and easy to get to. Kudos to GM for leaving space in front of the oil fill spout to easily get the bottle in place to pour. Cannot say that of most other cars. My only gripe is the vertical, rather than horizontal mounting of the oil filter. As soon as you loosen it all the oil runs down around the filter, making it difficult to handle. Horizontal is nice, because the oil falls straight down into your oil pan, not down the filter. I understand though that horizontal filter location isnt always practical. It took 5.5 quarts to get to the middle of the oil level, which is where I left it. And again, unlike most other cars, I got a reading within a few minutes of shutting the engine off.

With the exception of my Maxima, this car is easier to do than any other import car I have changed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

GMBOUND is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: First oil change

I was just reading the oil change faq myself! Seems like we'll probably performing our routing maint. at the same time. Did you use the Rhino Ramps or Jack & Jack stands?
    I Have cheapo hyrdaulic jack but went to Sears, Sams & Costco today to find an upgrade. I'm trying to decide b/t these two below. Do the Rhino Ramps really provide enough clearance?

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11186866&search=Jack&Sp=S&Mo=2 0&cm_re=1-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_Sig nDesc1&N=0&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=All &Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=Jack&Ntt=Jack&No =12&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...33&prDeTab=2#A

SkullV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): NONE

The vertical placement of the filter does suck! I used to work at The Duke of Oil in Munster, Indiana and there were TONS of cars with filter designs like that. Needless to say I always ended up covered in some kind of automotive fluid before I went home!

Onalaska is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS 1SF, 1990 Allante, 2006 XLR-V

The vertical position of the filter may not be the best for you, but it is the best for your engine as it allows you to completely fill the filter with oil before installing. That way your engine starts up with full oil pressure rather than having the air trapped in the filter being pushed through your engine's oil galley.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

My DD has a horizontal one, BUT dribbles all over suspension and other components when it's loosened ... very messy.

I loosen the V's filter and let it run straight into a tub for a couple of minutes, then wipe off and remove. MUCH better.

Hmm-m ... never thought of filling the filter with oil before installing ... GREAT idea!
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

RockinV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac Redline CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by GMBOUND View Post
    Do the Rhino Ramps really provide enough clearance?
    I use Rhino Ramps and they work great. At first I was having alot of trouble getting onto them....the car would just slide them across the garage floor. But putting them right up to the tires and sllllowwwly pulling up onto them proved to be successful. I have more than enough clearance in the front while on them. And I don’t know if I would trust anything else considering the low clearance of this car …if the car was to come down... …Death would be instantaneous.

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    My DD has a horizontal one, BUT dribbles all over suspension and other components when it's loosened ... very messy.

I loosen the V's filter and let it run straight into a tub for a couple of minutes, then wipe off and remove. MUCH better.

Hmm-m ... never thought of filling the filter with oil before installing ... GREAT idea!
    As far as the filter, there are as many experts who say filling the filter is useless as there are those who say it is crucial. Within seconds after the first start, it is full. I always fill it anyway. On my Maxima (horizontal) I fill it most of the way, then roll it so the paper absorbs the oil, then it does not run out.

Letting the oil finish running down the filter then wiping it off is about the only choice you have. My wife's Pilot is the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinV View Post
    I use Rhino Ramps and they work great. At first I was having alot of trouble getting onto them....the car would just slide them across the garage floor. But putting them right up to the tires and sllllowwwly pulling up onto them proved to be successful. I have more than enough clearance in the front while on them. And I don’t know if I would trust anything else considering the low clearance of this car …if the car was to come down... …Death would be instantaneous.
    I have the craftsman SUV floor jack. I put that about 6" foward of the jack stand spot with a 2x4 between the jack and rail. Then I put a jack stand at the designated spot, and lower it just to take a little pressure off of the jack.

Jacks do fail, but it isnt instantaneous like most people think. They gradually lower. My step dad is a forensic engineer and has worked jack failure cases before. Still you only have 20 seconds or so to get out of the way. Not a lot of time when you wedged under a lowering car. But I have never heard of a jack stand failing, which is why I never go under a car without one.

If you want ramps that dont slide and work well, my step dad bought a railroad tie and sawed it at about a 20-30 degree angle, and uses those as ramps. They work great on front drive cars. Never tried them on a rear drive car.

GMBOUND is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I was underneath today installing the CAGS Eliminator from Mike. Thanks!
    I noticed the oil filter was black. Isn't the mobile 1 filter blue? I haven't bought one yet for the V but for all of my other vehicles its been blue. Well, I think I'm going to be doing an Oil Change tomorrow cause I'm not sure if the dealer actually used Mobil 1 oil?

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by GMBOUND View Post
    ... I noticed the oil filter was black. Isn't the mobile 1 filter blue? ...
    Depends on the brand of filter and doesn't mean they didn't use Mobil 1 oil.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

zozmanCTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyhauser View Post
    ...I decided to do an oil change...It took 5.5 quarts to get to the middle of the oil level, which is where I left it...
    Mine was 6.5 qts. with the short filter and 7.0 qts. with the long.

slothV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Mine was also 6.5 quarts to the full line.

Just need to remember to let the car run for a few seconds before checking the level.

Ak Jim is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

The Mobil 1 filter I just used on the V is black while the one I used on my van is gray. If you don't like the oil running all over the place you can take an awl and hammer and put a hole in the bottom of the filter. After the hole is done, losen the filter just enough to where the oil starts running out. If you are not in a hurry and can come back in 10 mins or so all of the oil will be out of the filter. This makes for a lot less mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Jim View Post
    The Mobil 1 filter I just used on the V is black while the one I used on my van is gray. If you don't like the oil running all over the place you can take an awl and hammer and put a hole in the bottom of the filter. After the hole is done, losen the filter just enough to where the oil starts running out. If you are not in a hurry and can come back in 10 mins or so all of the oil will be out of the filter. This makes for a lot less mess.
    Good idea, but what if the filter gets seized on? Then you have to drive a car with no oil filter until you can get it somewhere to get it off (I think most cars will bypass the filter if the pressure is too high or low.)

ctsvett is offline FAQ is your Friend
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

I use ACdelco gold filters and they are black..

I have read a bunch on filters and I didnt hear of any benifit to going with mobil one filters. Correct me if I am wrong anyone, but I did use them in the past, but switched to ACdelco Gold filters.

Anyone?

Reed

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.