CTS V Problems
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, CTS V Problems in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Hey all, I’ve been away for a while... Still loving the V... No problems until now... Im getting a slight ...
    propain is offline Cadillac Owners Member

CTS V Problems

Hey all, I’ve been away for a while...
    Still loving the V... No problems until now...

Im getting a slight vibration in the pedal every once in a while. Hard to describe... Its not a rattle... its more like a hum... feels like the front end maybe... Maybe a wheel bearing... maybe the emergency brake rubbing. Maybe the breaks.. I really don’t notice a slowdown when it happens... and it only seems to happen when im light on the pedal..

The second problem is I seem to be losing coolant. I don’t know where as there is no leaks. Maybe im just burning it up... maybe the sensor is to sensitive.. but I top it off during my oil changes and about 2.5k miles later im getting the message to add coolant.

The third is "Battery Not Charging" Im getting this every once in a while also... volts drop to about 11.5 to 12. This is probably just the battery going bad.

Either way... the top two are causing me to

Anyone with the same symptoms please clue me in. Im bringing it into the dealer on 4/4/07 and it would be nice to tell them whats wrong.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RamAir02 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V

Re: CTS V Problems

Hmm I might be able to sympathize with the hum under light acceleration...mostly on the highway right at high speeds? I never knew if it might be normal or not...

Can't really help you on anything else, sorry.

odla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

the battery thing might be from have the switch that controls the light dim or not dim in the overhead console being all the way on. i leave mine up about 7\8 up so this wont happen.

tweeter81 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

The warrantee should get you a brand new battery, just make sure that the service writer experiences the instance of "battery not charging."

There is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) out for the replacing of the radiator, so the warrantee should cover that, too.

I had my radiator replaced around 10,000 miles with no hassle. (2004 V)

C.J.

RamAir02 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V

Maybe I can help a little actually....

I know GM has been having trouble with the life of their batteries. Every time I bring my car in for service or warranty work, my dealership puts a battery tester on it. They do this first thing when I pull the car in. They're doing it on EVERY SINGLE car that comes in. Not a bad idea Caddy!

So they have been having problems. It should be replaced under warranty.

V-Smooth is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '06 Raven V [SOLD]

I agree, I remember a few others on here having battery charging issues, first time I heard about the radiator though. Can't recall what the thread was called...was looking for it.

Yeah, do what Tweeter said

Quote Originally Posted by tweeter81 View Post
    The warrantee should get you a brand new battery, just make sure that the service writer experiences the instance of "battery not charging."

There is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) out for the replacing of the radiator, so the warrantee should cover that, too.

I had my radiator replaced around 10,000 miles with no hassle. (2004 V)

C.J.

I have 25k miles.... Still fall within the warranty?

Thanks for the info... hopfully someone knows about the rubbing and ill be GTG

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by propain View Post
    ... Im getting a slight vibration in the pedal every once in a while. ...
    Which "pedal?"

If clutch pedal, could it be a throw-out bearing?
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    Which "pedal?"

If clutch pedal, could it be a throw-out bearing?
    Good point... The gas pedal.

Its really so hard to describe... You cant hear it... you can only feel it... and it feels like friction....

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

Hey all, Iíve been away for a while...

Im getting a slight vibration in the pedal every once in a while. Hard to describe... Its not a rattle... its more like a hum... feels like the front end maybe... Maybe a wheel bearing... maybe the emergency brake rubbing. Maybe the breaks.. I really donít notice a slowdown when it happens... and it only seems to happen when im light on the pedal..

The second problem is I seem to be losing coolant. I donít know where as there is no leaks. Maybe im just burning it up... maybe the sensor is to sensitive.. but I top it off during my oil changes and about 2.5k miles later im getting the message to add coolant.

The third is "Battery Not Charging" Im getting this every once in a while also... volts drop to about 11.5 to 12. This is probably just the battery going bad.

Anyone with the same symptoms please clue me in. Im bringing it into the dealer on 4/4/07 and it would be nice to tell them whats wrong.
    Many batteries who lose most of their charge never regain full charge. Maybe I am biased, but I believe that the AC Delco are bad for this. Unfortunately, I have not been able to locate anyone else who makes a series 101 battery. I even tried to swap out another battery after reviewing the physical sizes of batteries. The CTS battery is about 1/4 inch higher than ALL other batteries.

Ed

Im getting a slight vibration in the pedal every once in a while. Hard to describe... Its not a rattle... its more like a hum... feels like the front end maybe... Maybe a wheel bearing... maybe the emergency brake rubbing. Maybe the breaks.. I really donít notice a slowdown when it happens... and it only seems to happen when im light on the pedal..

The second problem is I seem to be losing coolant. I donít know where as there is no leaks. Maybe im just burning it up... maybe the sensor is to sensitive.. but I top it off during my oil changes and about 2.5k miles later im getting the message to add coolant.

Coolant problem should not be difficult to diagnose. Radiator shops can put a pressure gauge on system. They prefer to have the car when it is cold. Some will request that you leave car overnight. They they put a high pressure gauge on for about 4 hours. If car is several years old, it could be hole in radiator. Or it could be a loose hose. The Northstar engine used to have problems leaking water around the water pump when aluminum expanded at a different rate than cast iron. This info does not help you specifically, but it might give you an understanding on a few items.

Lastly, it could be a gasket gone bad, and water could be leaking into engine. If you indicated that you are loosing quite a bit of water, I doubt that it is a gasket. Engine would either buck, or blow up.

Ed

If vibration occurs when you are using brakes, it is likely a rotor out of round. Garage can "turn rotors" typically unless someone has turned them 2 or 3 times already.

We can eliminate wheel bearing. It would be noisy, and it would not vibrate unless wheel is ready to fall off. At that point, noise would be extremely loud. It would also likely get very very hot. You would likely smell the heat too.

We can eliminate emergency brake; that operates only on rear wheels.

Don't forget to send me check for 10 or 20 grand.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by z06bigbird View Post
    If vibration occurs when you are using brakes, it is likely a rotor out of round. Garage can "turn rotors" typically unless someone has turned them 2 or 3 times already.

We can eliminate wheel bearing. It would be noisy, and it would not vibrate unless wheel is ready to fall off. At that point, noise would be extremely loud. It would also likely get very very hot. You would likely smell the heat too.

We can eliminate emergency brake; that operates only on rear wheels.

Don't forget to send me check for 10 or 20 grand.

Ed

Not while on the brakes... only while on Gas Pedal. Light pedal... I think i might have felt it while coming to a stop... so hard to diag...

Its almost like something is sticking every once in a while... no noise...

E-Brake... ive been told to get it adjusted because it drops to low to engage so I figured it might be that... but your right... it wouldnt vibrate the front pedal...

Hmmmm.....

Ill send the check when its fixed!

Well I checked the volts on the battery while the car was running....

13.2 The battery is fine... Its the Alt.

So... I guess the Alt is going bad and thats probably the binding, friction im feeling every once in a while.

Thanks all for the help...

What about peeling interior buttons? Covered?

The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

The battery voltage guage in the car is useless, because Volts have nothing to do with cold cranking amps. When a car in our showroom goes dead, the DIC still shows 13.x volts.
    Rest in Peace, J.D. (aka Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.