Yet another tire thread -- Sorry!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Yet another tire thread -- Sorry! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; OK, so here's my twist on the same question. I will need to replace my current setup - GY 245 ...
    jnrandall is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Yet another tire thread -- Sorry!

OK, so here's my twist on the same question. I will need to replace my current setup - GY 245\45\18 RS-A EMT soon.

Carrying a spare is not an option I wish to exercise. I've never been stranded because of a flat or blow out. I have AAA and a cell phone. Do I need to or should I stay with runflats?

I live in Manhattan, and don't have room to store an extra set of tires or wheels or both. I also refuse to rent storage for this purpose. My V is also my only ride & I use it all year long. With that being said, I'll need a really good, all-season, high-performance tire. Which should I consider?

I like the idea of wider larger tires on my stock (chromed) wheels. I also wish to rotate all four corners with each other. Can I go to a slightly larger tire at all corners? If so, what size?

I also would like a tire that has a decent life. I don't want to be here again in 10K-15K miles.

I've been reading threads, looking at tire sites, and reading reviews. Which tire(s) should I strongly consider?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ctsvflorida is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '04 Plat CTS-V

Re: Yet another tire thread -- Sorry!

After all the debating and arguing I've done tonight Jesse, I feel obligated to give you a good and thorough answer! Also, because it is you! lol

Here's the deal buddy, I have non run flats and no spare! 2 cans of fix a flat in the trunk just in case as I have done 26k miles this year alone! On star is good to have too! You can put GSD3's 255/45's all around which is what I may actually switch to! I believe there are others that make that size as well but you'll need others to chime in on that! If you're not drag racing, I have heard the run flat RSA's are good too but don't have as much traction but long tread life! Outside of goodyear there are lots of inexpensive tires that are good in Non runflats too which you will hear from tomorrow I am sure. What you should do is decide runflat or not! That will make it easier! Later and see you in mid April.

LOL, thanks Brian.

After sleeping on it, I believe I can live without runflats. What really amazes me is that there are tires that members seem to equally rave about that cost $300 per tire as well as $150 per tire. With the big name companies, am I really paying for the name or (for example) is the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ($274) that much better than the Avon Tech M550 A/S ($139).

HushH is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Nada

The Pilot Sports are about as good as they get. Whether it's worth the price difference is entirely up to you and the type of driving you'll be doing. If you're not tracking the car you may never notice the difference. Falken FK452s seem to offer good wet and dry performance at a good price (around $150/tire). However, if you decide to go back to the RSA run-flats, I've got 1 brand new and 3 with 8/32nds + tread left that I'd give you a good price on. Then you could spend all that extra money on other mods .

I guess that good wet/dry performance is more important that a true all season tire. When it snows, I generally don't go out until the roads are cleared. The V never tools around in the powder/packed ice like my Jeep did.

I hear alot of good things about the FK452s. The price is perfect too. As far as tracking the car, I'd like to try it a few times but I won't live there.

Thanks Hush

ctsvflorida is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '04 Plat CTS-V

Jesse, I would consider Hush's runflats as he's prolly ready to give them away pretty cheap! Not to put words in your mouth HUSH but I know that selling them is NOT easy! For a Manhattan guy, I think they'd be fine! They will spin a little though. Also, the Faulkens (sp.) seem to be pretty good from what I have heard.

Luna. is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V

I would be careful if you choose to go 255/45s all the way around. I believe some have had issues with rubbing in the front with that setup. I also believe (if my math is correct) that they are 4.15% taller tires than the 245/45, which might affect your speedo readings (probably not significant--just an FYI). They do fill up the wheel well nicely though.

I'm a huge Falken fan, especially when cost is considered. I had the RT615s, which were terrific, but I've heard good things about the FK452s as well.

50 4Ever is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V (Thunder Grey)

I think non-runflats are the way to go. I have Michelin PS2's on the V and also on the Corvette. I have driven the Corvette across country 3 times and have over 57.000 miles on her, with the last 50,000 on non-runflats. I have picked up screws and had tires patched, never was I stranded. The tire seems to seal around the screw.

Just my $0.02

DmaxSierra is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by jnrandall View Post
    LOL, thanks Brian.

After sleeping on it, I believe I can live without runflats. What really amazes me is that there are tires that members seem to equally rave about that cost $300 per tire as well as $150 per tire. With the big name companies, am I really paying for the name or (for example) is the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ($274) that much better than the Avon Tech M550 A/S ($139).
    Saw that you're in NY. If you're willing to come out to Long Island, there is a shop that will likely beat any price that you get. Send me a PM if you're intersted. I just purchased a set for my V last week. Decided to go with Toyo Proxes. Was hesitant at first but they're great so far. $165/each versus 350 for the original EMT's!

P.S. I've had my V for 2 years now and just found this site. Thanks to all the members for the great info.

dqw1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Welcome to V Land Dmax. You might consider introducing yourself in a new thread so that everyone will know you.

The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

I drove a customer's V with Avon Tech M550s on it and it was scary. Talk about no grip!

I had GS-D3s, but had them replaced by Goodyear because they were impossible to balance (read: out of round), and went with the runflat RSAs instead. Yes, they're not as grippy as a GS-D3 or F1, but they stick a hell of a lot better than the Avons, and as Brian said the tread life is great. I've got about 6000 miles on mine with plenty of spirited driving and they're barely showing any wear yet. F1s would be done at this point.
    Rest in Peace, J.D. (aka Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

tweeter81 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxSierra View Post
    Saw that you're in NY. If you're willing to come out to Long Island, there is a shop that will likely beat any price that you get. Send me a PM if you're intersted. I just purchased a set for my V last week. Decided to go with Toyo Proxes. Was hesitant at first but they're great so far. $165/each versus 350 for the original EMT's!

P.S. I've had my V for 2 years now and just found this site. Thanks to all the members for the great info.
    Hi Dmax,

First off, Welcome to the Forums, you're going to like it here!!!

I am currently in the market for 4 new Toyo Proxes T1-Rs and am wondering if your hookup could cut me a deal on them, and if so, could they ship them to Colorado? You can see my tire sizes below in my signature. Let me know if your guy can get these tires cheap. Thanks.

heavypedal is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '04 Raven CTS-V

Hey Jesse...be carefull with the Falken FK452s up in 'Hatten. They are pretty slick when cold, so I wouldn't recommend for folks above the Mason Dixon. I have about 6K on my FK452s and absolutely love them...especially now that its getting warmer.

T

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by dqw1 View Post
    Welcome to V Land Dmax. You might consider introducing yourself in a new thread so that everyone will know you.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tony Show View Post
    I drove a customer's V with Avon Tech M550s on it and it was scary. Talk about no grip! ...
    Just took my Avons off yesterday and put my GS-D3s on. (Avons have been really good in what little snow I've allowed my V to be in.) Didn't notice it before, but Tony's right ... the GYs certainly do have better grip.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

heavypedal is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '04 Raven CTS-V

I should say I don't recommend the FK452s in locations where it is always cold (50 degrees F or less). I know it gets warm in NY..but dear Lord...I was in the city for Easter weekend and saw flurries every day (friggin cold).

It just takes a while for them to warm up. I didn't want to hear about you pulling out of the parking deck on a cold morning and having to make a quick move from a cabbie flying by...you see where I'm going with this.

I've also had the Avon's (not by choice, came with car) and I can rate them at best "okay". Okay on grip, wet and dry. Okay on noise. Okay on durability. Falken FK452 is a much better tire for right around the same price. Now that I think about it... the FK452s are oddly enough lasting about the same as the Avon's. Hmmm...

T

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.