Update at 1100 miles
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Update at 1100 miles in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Finally got some extended driving time, went to the coast for the weekend (230+ miles). Where the highway opened up, ...
    globed70 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Update at 1100 miles

Finally got some extended driving time, went to the coast for the weekend (230+ miles).

Where the highway opened up, and when the crosswinds quieted down, the car ran up to 150+ and handled great. Need to spend some time this coming weekend to scrape the insect carcasses off the front fascia and windshield.

I pumped the tires up to 34 rear and 32 front, based on the manual's suggestion for driving over 130. These were set when it was cold at my house (40f), and between the temperature change at the coast (65-70f) and high speed driving, I managed to set-off the tire pressure monitor (kicks in at 42psi). Still waiting for the new software reflash to become available, as extended hard driving had my oil temp sensor flashing and chiming, going over 310f... again not a big deal. Coolant temp was fine, and not a drop of oil used since day one.

The brakes are great, extremely powerful and fade was not an issue (although not being in Europe anymore, it is hard to run contiuously at high speeds with repeated hard braking to really test fade resistance).

The transmission and clutch work well together, all around easy to use with positive engagement. Only issue was finding 5th gear when switching up from 4th near redline; will see if it's an issue in the future, but not really concerned.

The V takes well to high speed cornering, leans a bit then plants firmly. Really great feel in your hands, steering feel is pretty good. All around suspension comfort is great, handles bumps mid-corner reasonably well (although not quite as confident as M5, but that's a trade off for less understeer).

One thing I noticed is how unstressed the whole package feels, the engine freely revs up to the red zone, and nothing seems overtaxed. The sounds from the engine and exhaust are fantastic - once you get on the throttle the song is amazing.

Comfort was good for the length of this trip (6'3" and not stick-thin), leg didn't freeze up, plenty of room to move around. The sun-roof does intrude a bit, my hair occassionaly brushes the roof area closer to the window.

Overall, everything is suprisingly great with the V.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ktills45 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Update at 1100 miles

Rob Ketcham is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Update at 1100 miles

I found your commentary accurate. I drove mine back from KC MO to the Eastern shore of MD when I got it, so put in some good seat time without complaints from any quarter. Averaged 68.9 MPH for the first 1500 miles and got 22.8 Mpg. I was impressed. I achieved this average doing a fairly conservative breakin for first 500 miles. I have 3000 miles on mine now, I don't want to drive anything else in my garage at the moment. I think the car is very special. I had a SS Camero Convertible with the LS1 and a 6 speed and a roll bar, and this car seems quicker, and I know it feels tighter and more responsive and has better brakes. I guess I am going to have to deal with the skip shift. I put a resister on the Camero to override it, and had forgotten how annoying it is. The mileage on my V isn't as good as it was with the LS1, which I think is a factor of the higher gearing of the differential.

I was interested in your comments of what it feels like at speed. I usually put my cars on the tracks here in the east to get those kind of numbers, and what you say comports with what is being written about it.
    Rob Ketcham

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.