KN filter for V
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, KN filter for V in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Does anyone know if there is a KN filter available for the V? I need to breathe!! I checked KN's ...
    ctsvett is offline FAQ is your Friend
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

KN filter for V

Does anyone know if there is a KN filter available for the V? I need to breathe!!

I checked KN's website and they only show an oilflter for the V...

Will the regular CTS filter work? Perhaps another car's filter?

Thanks.

Reed
    CTSVETT (in CA)

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

nandanrp is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: KN filter for V

I don't know enough, but unless it uses the same airbox as a regular CTS I doubt the filter will be the same Time to fashion your own cold-air intake

TNT V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I've been told by Doug Rippie Motorsports, well known LS1/LS6 tuners, that products are coming from the suppliers but still probably 30 days off.

miscreant is offline GM Connection

Quote Originally Posted by TNT V
    Ownership: '03 C5, '01 Lincoln LS, '04 Chrysler Crossfire, '04 CRS-V due in 30 days!
    Cool, what's a CRS-V?
    2004 Cadillac CTS (**SOLD** ): http://www.ctsowners.com
    2004 Pontiac GTO: http://www.myyellowgto.com

nandanrp is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by miscreant
    Cool, what's a CRS-V?
    Isn't that the sport model CRV from Honda?

GNSCOTT is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

If you get a K&N, be sure to remove it before you bring it in for service on a check engine light.

http://web.camaross.com/forums/annou...?s=&forumid=24

Korn00 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by GNSCOTT
    If you get a K&N, be sure to remove it before you bring it in for service on a check engine light.

http://web.camaross.com/forums/annou...?s=&forumid=24
    For this reason, I would not use an aftermarket air charger system in my CTS. It not worth having engine problems and voiding your warranty.

JEM
    JEM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by GNSCOTT
    Yeah, I guess I'd ask why bother with it at all?

Aside from the religious wars over whether K&N filters filter adequately even when clean, the K&N filters have maybe 1/4 the total filter surface area (count the pleats) of an OE paper filter, which means it's going to plug up a lot faster than the paper filter would. What good is a 'free-flow' air filter if after 5000mi it's more restrictive than a 25Kmi OE paper filter?

And the more often you clean it, the greater the possibility of your over-oiling the thing and contaminating the MAF...

I witnessed someone get a 1 wheel HP improvement (248 to 249) on a Dynojet Saturday (car was a moderately-tweaked '92 SHO) swapping from a clean OE filter to a clean K&N.

benjet is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by JEM
    Yeah, I guess I'd ask why bother with it at all?

Aside from the religious wars over whether K&N filters filter adequately even when clean.
    Again I'm have held fast that I have YET to see ANY conclusive SCIENTIFIC evidence that they DO filter adquately (esp. compared to stock). This should be of primary importance OVER performance increase. I just recently obtained the name of the Dir. of R&D @ K&N and wish to hear (from the horses mouth) his opinion of the evidence that I have (obtained at my own cost) - I will be contacting him directly when time allows.

Quote Originally Posted by JEM
    I witnessed someone get a 1 wheel HP improvement (248 to 249) on a Dynojet Saturday (car was a moderately-tweaked '92 SHO) swapping from a clean OE filter to a clean K&N.
    This makes me ask what would the Dyno show if there was NO air filter in place during the run.

Use at your own risk.
    -Ben

globed70 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Agree... I have heard of the problems, and always replaced rather than cleaned the K&N filters.

If you only switch the air filter, there is little power to be gained. Some of the aftermarket air intakes combined with the filter add a few HP. Many people claim they can feel the difference, and their engine revs easier. Whatever.

I am not against an entire intake solution, but would always replace the filter rather than have warranty issues with re-oiling.

JEM
    JEM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

...but even a new K&N filter is supposed to be oiled, and it still doesn't have nearly as much surface area as a paper filter.

TNT V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by miscreant
    Cool, what's a CRS-V?
    I think it's what we call a typo. I'll rely on you to do all of my proof reading in the future.

msheri01 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Keep in mind also that GM is aware of the excess oil residue from aftermarket filters, and has advised dealers to check both for the presence of these filter installations, but also oil residue on the sensors that would not be there with the OEM filter. They are watching this on the CTS and the CTSV.

CTSV OWNER is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV

On vehicles equipped with MAF (mass air flow) sensors if the oil residue were to gather on the tiny wire that is in the MAF it could effect operation. The vehicles PCM (powertrain controll module) measures how much air is entering the engine thru a process of heating the tiny wire inside the MAF it measures how much voltage it takes to heat the wire to a specific temp and the more voltage it take is equal to the amount of air rushing past this wire. If it takes more volts to heat to wire then more air is going thru the engine. At idle it takes less voltage and therefore knows there is less airflow.

The oil will insuate the wire and need more voltage to warm it up.

It also will coke up the throttle plates and make idle problems. In vehicles that have fly by wire throttles ( no throttle cable) the motor must overcome the sticking plates then you end up with either a surgeing idle or erratic response when initally takeing off from a stand still.
    This is also why its important to change your oil regularly

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.