Smoothness of engine idling for CTS-V?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Smoothness of engine idling for CTS-V? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I'd like to know what you think of the V's idling quality after it's up to operating temperature. I think ...
    Vrocks is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Question Smoothness of engine idling for CTS-V?

I'd like to know what you think of the V's idling quality after it's up to operating temperature. I think that it's a bit lumpy for a luxury performance sedan. In fact it feels a bit worse than my vette did with the Ls1. Perhaps it's because the car is still new (805mi) but I wish GM could have done a few tweaks here and there to alleviate the problem such as.

Slightly milder cam, increased idling RPM... and maybe offer another 500 rpm to 6900-7k for a higher peak HP due to milder cam (I know... we'd lose some torque). From what I've read and been told the Ls6 can rev much higher before grenading and magazines have speculated that the V has a better intake flow than the Z06 so there wouldn't an intake restriction issue that would make higher rev breathing a problem.

Idling rant aside I love the V's handling balance, speed and the overall fluidity. It's quite simply the finest overall performance driving machine I've ever been in and I've had the opportunity to drive cars like the XLR, SRX, Porsche turbo - C4S, C5 corvette and this is my favorite... with the turbo coming in at a close second .

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

b4z
    b4z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Standard SrX grey/black

Re: Smoothness of engine idling for CTS-V?

deleted.

GNSCOTT is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Its an enthusiasts car. The sport should ALWAYS come before the luxury. End of story.

CTSV OWNER is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV

I don't mind it much. Yes it is noticable and when I let my boss drive my V he commented on it while at a stop light. I said think of it as a Vette. You would not mind it as much in a Vette would you?..... The light turned green and he forgot what we were talking about as soon as he hit the gas.

globed70 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

If given the choice of:

1. CTS-V with an existing production engine (LS6) for $50k
    2. Having a less powerful existing production engine (LS1)
    3. Gambling that GM would give the go-ahead on the investment to change the LS6

I'll take #1, the LS6 engine with muscle car idle. The ability if GM to create these products relies quite a bit on keeping the investment very low through the use of existing product where available and choosing the best value components otherwise.

They picked the best they had, and should be commended. No, it's not as refined as an M5.

Which magazines speculate as to the V intake compared to Z06?

Rob Ketcham is offline Cadillac Owners Member

My last GM car, an LS1 SS Camero had a similar lope to the idle. Hey, what are cams for? It does seem more pronounced than the LS1 and that is all right with me. It is an all around performance sedan and even better than one of my other cars, another four door sleeper, a C43 Mercedes AMG. The C43 does have a smoother idle but that is because the engine is hand-built and cost a fortune. The LS6 is made to run, enjoy it.

CVP33 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

It's noticeable but not annoyingly so. A quick burp of the throttle will usually calm it a little when it gets really wiggly. That can be fun too.

04cts is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by GNSCOTT
    Its an enthusiasts car. The sport should ALWAYS come before the luxury. End of story.
    why bring down the performance of the v if you have 3 other models of cts to choose from

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Quote Originally Posted by Vrocks
    I'd like to know what you think of the V's idling quality after it's up to operating temperature. I think that it's a bit lumpy for a luxury performance sedan. In fact it feels a bit worse than my vette did with the Ls1. Perhaps it's because the car is still new (805mi) but I wish GM could have done a few tweaks here and there to alleviate the problem such as.

Slightly milder cam, increased idling RPM... and maybe offer another 500 rpm to 6900-7k for a higher peak HP due to milder cam (I know... we'd lose some torque). From what I've read and been told the Ls6 can rev much higher before grenading and magazines have speculated that the V has a better intake flow than the Z06 so there wouldn't an intake restriction issue that would make higher rev breathing a problem.

Idling rant aside I love the V's handling balance, speed and the overall fluidity. It's quite simply the finest overall performance driving machine I've ever been in and I've had the opportunity to drive cars like the XLR, SRX, Porsche turbo - C4S, C5 corvette and this is my favorite... with the turbo coming in at a close second .

PICKY PICKY PICKY....If you wanted a smooth idle then you should have bought the V6.....LOL.....just kidding, but really, it is pretty special to get 400 HP out of a 5.7 rough idle or not. It would be impossible to get the same performance with less cam....would you really want that?? If the idle bothers you have someone install the LS1 cam.....

Vrocks is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

LOL... wow I'm surprised at how many people really defended the feeling at idle . I was just pointing out that it's not the smoothest in the world... nor was the porsche turbos (turbo actually shut down once in awhile if it was cold outside).

bbob: Does the M5 (I know it's $75K+ but you're paying alot for the BMW name and lower volume) idle as roughly as the V? 394hp with a smaller displacement naturally aspirated V8.

Anyway, I love the car as was stated at the bottom of my post and I knew before hand that the car would have some shake. I just wanted to see what everyone else thought on this (non)issue .

jeffgtx is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I know what you are talking about, but the V idles a lot smoother than my 383 TA WS6 did, so i like it in a "remember whats under the hood?" kinda way without the "frick this TA is all over the place" concern!
    Jeff

JEM
    JEM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Vrocks
    bbob: Does the M5 (I know it's $75K+ but you're paying alot for the BMW name and lower volume) idle as roughly as the V? 394hp with a smaller displacement naturally aspirated V8.
    I'll tell you once I've driven the CTS-V...

The M5 idles quite smoothly. That's what VANOS (variable cam timing) is for. BMW can get more overlap at high RPMs for peak power and close it up for a smooth idle.

That said, the VANOS actuators have something of a diesel-like rattle to them at idle and it can be quite loud on cold starts. BMW came up with a retrofit pre-oiler pump as a service-bulletin item somewhere around 2001, then I think in 2002 they switched to a pressurized accumulator as a production-line item. I've never had the retrofit done on mine, it doesn't bother me.

globed70 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

No, the m5 engine (about 5 liters) does not have the shake. As JEM refers to, it did have some oddball noises coming from under the hood.

GNSCOTT is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by globed70
    No, the m5 engine (about 5 liters) does not have the shake. As JEM refers to, it did have some oddball noises coming from under the hood.
    Yea...rods coming loose.

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

No, the M5 idles smoother, for sure. There is a LOT more money in the powertrain for the M5 than the CTS-V....with little to show for it than a smoother idle, though, I would say.

It is kind of a compliment that the CTS-V is being compared to the M5, though... Kind of like the only comparison for the Corvette is cars that cost twice as much....LOL.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.