Cadillac Owners Forum banner

3D Printing for the V

4K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  nintastio 
#1 ·
I have always been somewhat bummed by the lack of after market part availability for our generation of V appearance wise and decided I wanted to see If i could make more options available to the community.

I do 3D design for a living and finally picked up a 3D printer so I could start printing some prototype parts out for my car to see if there is any interest out there. and show the progression of everything.

Everything will be printed in blue or black plastic to begin with, once I flesh those out I may start experimenting with the Steel and Carbon Fiber, chrome will be down the road too once I get an electro plating kit.

Here are some really quick renders of some concepts I fleshed out. I plan to print a button set and a badge this weekend. I will update with pictures of course.

Vehicle Automotive lighting Headlamp Automotive design Car

Cylinder Automotive tire Hockey puck Wheel

Logo Emblem Font Illustration Graphics

Other ideas are very welcome on what you feel would be a nice addition to your V. I was thinking of working on a pillar pod that mounts inside the bose tweeter triangle, Gun Holsters.

Let me know what you think!

See less See more
#3 ·
Outstanding !

The radio buttons are where it's at right this minute. Almost no good options. Printing the smaller Radio and Nav buttons , pricing them properly , will see you sell as many as you can make. Virtually EVERY V1 needs a set of buttons at some point in it's life. Sometimes twice !

#5 ·
Stamp seal Fashion accessory

The Blue one was the first run, I ran into some errors on the side and the top end printed weird so I did a second attempt in black PLA, It came out alot better. I will sand and paint it this weekend hopefully.

In the mean time I am going to Print a main knob or two this week and work on designing the small radio buttons. It seems like a lot of people are needing those. I will have to see if my printer can actually print small enough to have the words enlayed on the buttons so we'll see!

#8 ·
Thanks! I am using a Robo R1+

Here is another test print!

I printed a radio knob I will post that up in a bit, I need to refine my model some more I think i saw some flat spaces and what not.

I am working on finishing a couple and am running into a few issues paint wise so it set my progress back some. I dont have a heated garage so some of the paint came out pretty stringy and its really hard to get in the small areas and sand. I am now trying an epoxy smoother to see if it will alleviate some of the sanding process and maybe make painting go a little smoother, along with setting up a indoor spray booth next to a window or something.

As for radio buttons I plan on working on those once i refine my finishing process more.

its a learning process that's for sure.

Blue Electric blue Cobalt blue Emblem

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.