Tinted tail-lights: Legal?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, Tinted tail-lights: Legal? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Hey all, Anyone know if tinting your tail-lights is legal in California? I think there's a vendor here who offers ...
    Skeeter is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Tinted tail-lights: Legal?

Hey all,

Anyone know if tinting your tail-lights is legal in California? I think there's a vendor here who offers this service, and no question that black tail lights look tough. But I HATE giving the law an easy excuse to pull me over. Stress!

Anyone know the status of the laws on this in CA? I remember that clear tail lights used to be illegal as well, but I think this changed a year or two ago. Now even factory cars (like the infiniti) have partially clear tail lights...

Skeeter

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

roadracerx72 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): That real fast one...

Re: Tinted tail-lights: Legal?

Basically doing anything to your lights in CA is illegal. If your lights on your car did not come that way and you change them, chances are what you did has not been approved through DOT.

If you change your tail lights to black, the violation is 24600 (e) VC - which states your tail lights shall be red.

Mat347 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

As long as your lights still "light up" red, and with the minimum lumens(if defined by law) you'll be OK. With the clear lights being OK with the law now, there should be no discriminating against the non-operational state of the lights.

roadracerx72 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): That real fast one...

If he changes the color of his tail lights he will be pulled over and cited.

OldRoadDawg is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

FYI:
    Calif Veh Code, Div 12, Chptr 1
    24012. All lighting equipment or devices subject to requirements established by the department shall comply with the engineering requirements and specifications, including mounting and aiming instructions, determined and publicized by the department. The 'department' means CHP. The 'engineering requirements and specifications' used are the specs from Title 13, Calif Admin Code. Those specs are adopted from the FMVSS established by Title 49 USC.

Short answer: Yes, they would be illegal.

Sandyfoot-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

My wife rear-ended some numb-nut who had darkened taillights five years ago. They were barely visible, even in the dark. It caused an accident (his FOURTH rear-end collision in three years ) and HE was cited and fined.

tedcmiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Doing anything that reduces the light from your vehicle is ill-advised. The DOT specs provide the maximum light for maximum visibility without being blinding or interfering with other signals such as brake or turn signals. My philosophy is to have a much light as possible without creating other problems. Application of this principal is why the "third brake light" and "Daytime Running Lights" have been so successful and are now found on all vehicles coming from the factory. I apply this philosophy to my cars and especially to my motocycle. Anyone who deliberately violates the laws in this respect should have their license to drive revoked and their vehicles confiscated, permanently.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.