Kenwood 890 Install
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, Kenwood 890 Install in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Because I got lucky enough to sell my stock NAV unit for $600 on ebay, it was prime time to ...
    ctsv247 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray V

Kenwood 890 Install

Because I got lucky enough to sell my stock NAV unit for $600 on ebay, it was prime time to upgrade.

Based on that I purchased a used Kenwood 890HD.

I chose this unit because it has all the features I need and it has Garmin Nav which I am used to. I bought used ($630) because I'm cheap and because ebay offers a warranty ( http://pages.ebay.com/warranty/squaretrade.html#q2 ) that gets as good reviews as the factory Kenwood warranty and I have 30 days to buy it....put the stereo in, if I don't like, turn around and resale without taking much of a hit, if I do like it, spend the $165 for the 2 year warranty and call it a day. The biggest challenge (that would affect me anyway) with aftermarket HUs is there ability to pair up with certain phones. Who's to really say for sure if this HU and my Iphone are going to play nice...only time will really tell.

For installation kits, I went with the metra kit
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Radio-Stereo...2d93f0&vxp=mtr

not the slightly less expensive kit.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Radio-Stereo...4aa190&vxp=mtr

because the metra has a nice detail that really tends to breakup the sea of plastic created when you take out the stock NAV. It looks even better in person as the Kenwood is scaled very well against the AC controls....in other words, it looks better than the stock setup IMHO.
    Attached Images
    l2obert likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Kenwood 890 Install

So, the complete metra kit comes with the interface you need so the head unit can play nice with the stock Bose system and all the ding donging the car likes to do. It comes in 2 pieces as seen in the pic below....
    Attached Images

As I bought a used HU, it had already been wired up once but fear not, this is almost a plug and play. There are two harnesses supplied with the kit, 1 plugs directly into the factory harness and goes to the module and the other goes from the module to the HU. All the wires are color coded so its a simple install other than the emergency brake interface wire which comes off the smaller "chime" module. If you don't want to stop the car and apply the e-brake in order to work the nav, connect that wire (identified in the wiring schematics that come with the HU and the module) to ground.

As you can hopefully see, the unit also comes with a HD radio antenna, NAV antenna, a microphone and 2 other cables hardwired into the HU that allow for using 2 flash drives for various fun and firmware updates.
    Attached Images

That's a lot of wires but no worries, the new HU is substantially smaller than the beast it replaces so there's enough room in the dash to accommodate all of this.....The factory harness and the first part of the aftermarket harness are tucked behind the dash right next to the inner passenger vent (to the right in this pic)...there is a nice "hole" there and also a flat surface that I used to sticky tape the nav antenna too....seems to receive fine, no harm no foul. You can barely make it out in the right side of the pic.

The module itself is sticky taped to the roof of the dash as shown and it isn't coming off easily and if it does, it isn't going far because this is all a tight squeeze once the HU is installed. There is also space for the chime module and the small relay (included on the harness going from the module to the HU) as well.
    Attached Images
    l2obert likes this.

The face plate is an easy install using the brackets pictured below.....

The face plate comes with a support in it that the instructionr suggest cutting out with a razor knife but that would have taken all day and a trip to the emergency room so I used a hacksaw blade....be careful not to scratch the pretty side!
    Attached Images

Finally, install the mic which I did along the edge of the headliner as shown. This was easy, remove the panel under the steering column and persuade it all in place....the only tools i used was a Phillips for the panel and a plastic spatula to push the wire around with....
    Attached Images

So, all said an done after shipping and paypal fees, I've got about $300 tied up in this.

As a former employee of Clear Channel working in amphitheater operations, I have a bit of an ear for sound and IMHO, this HU sounds better than the stock boat anchor it replaces and my 24 year old nephew agrees with me.

The NAV works great, my I-phone paired right up with it and now I have pandora and all this other stuff to start playing with....the screen has an orange background theme that can be used and it matches up with the Gauges and AC controls very well. I like the simplistic look of it....

Couldn't be happier with this mod and all in all, it was the easiest stereo install I've ever done.

07cadv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V

Very nice write up! I looks very good to me. I'm looking for better sound down the road some. Still semi-researching all the options. Didn't see it mentioned but what does this do to the DIC operations?

Becker is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 black with tan V
    He'll yea. Nice bro. I like

Quote Originally Posted by 07cadv View Post
    Very nice write up! I looks very good to me. I'm looking for better sound down the road some. Still semi-researching all the options. Didn't see it mentioned but what does this do to the DIC operations?
    The DIC has gone bye-bye and I won't miss it save for the voltmeter which I will be replacing somehow......Although I haven't tried it, traction control status isn't affected by this elimination of the DIC.

stratman1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Nice set up!

07cadv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by ctsv247 View Post
    The DIC has gone bye-bye and I won't miss it save for the voltmeter which I will be replacing somehow......Although I haven't tried it, traction control status isn't affected by this elimination of the DIC.
    Yea, I figured it did.....sorta like the DIC but I don't think it will be a deal breaker in the future.

I got sick of it telling me it might be cold enough for ice or that I need to change my oil etc etc. The only real piece of information I will miss is the voltmeter and I might be able to do the "torque" app to bring that back home somehow but a nice looking 2" gauge in an A pillar pod would be acceptable for me.....

JD03Cobra is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 Platinum CTS V

Looks very nice! The only thing I would miss would be the miles to empty. Not a big deal, the pros of your setup out weight the rest.

Thanks for the kind words......gas gauge is all I need

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.