Leather conditioning
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, Leather conditioning in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I recently bought an 05 and the previous owner had a child safety seat strapped in the back. Because they ...
    ctsv247 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray V

Leather conditioning

I recently bought an 05 and the previous owner had a child safety seat strapped in the back. Because they left the seat strapped in all the time, it has left a depression in the leather where it was mounted. it doesn't look deep enough to have deformed the seat foam so hopefully I can get it to lay back out.

Anybody have any experience with anything like this? What kind of leather cleaners/conditioners are you using and how well do they work?

While I'm at it, how do you clean the suede inserts?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

V for victory is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V, C5 Corvette, 2013 Dodge Durnago R/T

Re: Leather conditioning

As far as the suede I have used a product called Tuff Stuff. spray on and use a damp towel to slightly scrub them clean. I would try steam to bring the indents up in the leather then use a good conditioner. The leather is thick and firm so its going to take some work to get those impressions out.

Thanks for the reply!

AAIIIC is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Another option for the inserts is to pick up a suede shoe cleaning kit. It's basically a big gum eraser and a brush - you use the eraser to buff any dirt or stains out of the suede, and then the brush to clean up the eraser shavings. Honestly, I have no idea how well it works, since I have the black interior. On a grey or tan interior it would probably be easier to see if I was actually accomplishing anything with it.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

That sounds promising. I'm not excited about putting chemicals on the suede so i'll give that a shot although mine still looks good. just a maintenance thing.....

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Remember, it's not suede, it's a synthetic material. If it's real Alcantara, there are cleaning instructions in their site.

fweasel is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

I use Blue Coral on the fake suede in my 300ZX, works awesome. I haven't used it on the seats in the V yet, but I have cleaned up a few fingerprints from the headliner and A pillar trim. Similar to what V for Victory was describing.

Thanks for the tips!

Do you guys have a leather cleaner/conditioner you can recommend?

Dan_Gurney is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 - CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by ctsv247 View Post
    Thanks for the tips!

Do you guys have a leather cleaner/conditioner you can recommend?
    I have been a fan of Lexol products for clearning and conditioning leather.

Excellent reviews, thanks for the tip!

After shopping around locally for a brush that was actually big enough to hold and get any work done, i went to ebay and purchased the following suede brush marketed by Timberland....in short, it works very well and, I could be wrong here, i feel better about dragging this across my fake suede than i do an aggressive looking brass bristle brush. Using this raised the suede a good bit and it seemed to remove all the dead material that was there. Like it, recommend it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Timberland-U...-/171177178137

I also used the Lexol products and while them seem to work ok for the money, i expected a little more dirt to come off of the seats in my 170k mile car....maybe the previous owner took better care of the car than expected....

Quote Originally Posted by ctsv247 View Post
    After shopping around locally for a brush that was actually big enough to hold and get any work done, i went to ebay and purchased the following suede brush marketed by Timberland....in short, it works very well and, I could be wrong here, i feel better about dragging this across my fake suede than i do an aggressive looking brass bristle brush. Using this raised the suede a good bit and it seemed to remove all the dead material that was there. Like it, recommend it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Timberland-U...-/171177178137
    Interesting. I've never seen a brush like that, but it does seem like it would be useful without beating up the material. Good size, too, so you don't feel like you're trying to clean the whole seat insert with a toothbrush. I'll have to pick one of those up.

The dry cleaning kit they also have advertised is what I bought a while back. Mine is Kiwi brand, and you should be able to find it in the shoe laces / shoe polish section at a department store or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    Interesting. I've never seen a brush like that, but it does seem like it would be useful without beating up the material. Good size, too, so you don't feel like you're trying to clean the whole seat insert with a toothbrush. I'll have to pick one of those up.

The dry cleaning kit they also have advertised is what I bought a while back. Mine is Kiwi brand, and you should be able to find it in the shoe laces / shoe polish section at a department store or whatever.
    What kind of leather conditioner/cleaner do you use?

Errrr... Uhhhh... nothing. This thread has been a reminder that I need to go buy something, because it's been a while since I gave the seats a cleaning.

In the past I've just used the basic Armor-All leather wipes, but they're nothing special.

Edit: I swear there was a good thread about leather care on one of another forums I frequent, but I can't find it now. I did find a short thread with a couple folks recommending this line of stuff - http://www.leatherique.com/. Another guy suggested Connolly Hide Food, which you can find from various vendors online.

Thanks for the info. The lexol is ok i guess and you can buy it at walmart but in the future, i may try something else....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.