"Audio" circuit parasitic drain on battery.....HELP!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, "Audio" circuit parasitic drain on battery.....HELP! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I have been searching for a couple of hours and have found some similar issues to the one I'm having. ...
    Rez Rider is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

"Audio" circuit parasitic drain on battery.....HELP!

I have been searching for a couple of hours and have found some similar issues to the one I'm having. I have owned my 2005 CTS-V for only a couple months and one day I go to start it up and nothing. Naturally I assume bad battery (or I left a light on) put in on a trickle charger and reinstalled the battery. the next morning it was dead again. hooked up a ammeter in series with the battery and there was a 2.3A draw. I began pulling fuses to locate the issue. I found that in the L.REAR fuse box when I pulled the fuse labeled "Audio" the amp draw dropped to ~1.7, then after about 30 seconds it dropped to normal level (~30mA). Well I left the "audio" fuse out and the next morning the car started up like normal. But now I don't have any power to the radio head unit. I don't have any information on that circuit for troubleshooting. I have read in other posts that the head unit is causing the draw, but I have also read that the amp in the left rear of the trunk is the culprit. I am ok with basic troubleshooting but have no idea how to go about figuring this one out. I am hoping somebody has dealt with this (or at least heard of it). I would appreciate ANY & ALL suggestions from all the experts on here. Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: "Audio" circuit parasitic drain on battery.....HELP!

I was really hoping someone would know something about this issue. I guess it's not as common as I thought!

69stangscj is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 69 Mustang Mach I

Can you put the Audio fuse back in and disconnect the amp in the trunk and see what happens?

First of all thanks for your reply. I did try that recently and no luck. I completely removed the amp and the car was still pulling 2.3A when off. Would you happen to know what else is on this circuit? I figure the head unit would be on the circuit, and was thinking of removing it and performing the same test as I did with amp, but I figured i would ask to see if someone would have encountered this problem and knew what the issue was. I am guessing that I will need a new stereo/nav head unit. I tried to find one on GMpartsdirect.com but they only showed the head unit "w/o nav". Can't seem to find a new head unit anywhere. thanks again for your input, I really appreciate it!!

planning on taking the head unit out tomorrow to see if I still get the same draw from the battery. I honestly just want to find the darn issue so I know WHAT to fix, after that I'll worry about the cost of the new part.

ok removed the head unit and the amp draw went to acceptable levels. So I think I am in the market for a new head unit, but then when I put the old unit back in (don't want a hole in the dash until I get the new unit) so I begin plugging in the connections and decided to check the draw after each thing I plug in. Each time the amp draw dropped to where it should be. Then I plug everything in and the darn thing went to normal draw from the battery! I am happy that I don't have to buy a new unit, but am a little frustrated because I didn't change anything, which means it could happen again. But I'm happy for now, and hopefully it doesn't return!!!!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.