eBay halo headlights & switchback LED DRL questions ...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, eBay halo headlights & switchback LED DRL questions ... in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Hey guys, how's it goin? I've been in the market for DRL/Signal bulbs that I like ever since I got ...
    WesH8398 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

eBay halo headlights & switchback LED DRL questions ...

Hey guys, how's it goin?

I've been in the market for DRL/Signal bulbs that I like ever since I got in on the clear fog group buy a few months ago. "White" incandescent bulbs just look like crap (and I think they're illegal), and the whole reason for the clear fogs was to get RID of the ugly amber DRL's. With my refusal to eliminate my DRL's all together, I've found myself investigating LED switch-back bulbs, and I've finally taken the dive on a set.... Now I just don't know how to wire them up. On that note, I have read the "how to" that was posted here on this very topic. Unfortunately I'm completely auto-electrically challenged, and thus I'm still not clear on how exactly I tie into the fuse panel, etc. Could anyone elaborate a bit on this?

Also, on the topic of wiring and electrical... I'm toying with the idea of a set of eBay halo/projector headlights to replace my fairly beat up OEM's. Of course, I'm going to get a suitable HID kit as well... but I'm a little unclear on a few things. One is regarding tying the halos into my DRL's so that they run when the DRL's are on (but then I'd also want them running when the headlights are on .. maybe this isn't possible). I also wondered about whether those things actually fit our cars or not, because all of the vendors are advising that they WILL NOT work with a factory HID equipped vehicle. I know they could just be covering their asses, but I wanted to check.

Thanks in advance guys...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Silencertk is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V V1

Re: eBay halo headlights & switchback LED DRL questions ...

ok. well they fit. however my car didnt have hids when i got it. No idea what happened to the original headlights but. ... mine where halogen.

the halos are essentially your parking lights/secondary lighting. there is one plug attached to the lights- so the way the are supposed to be wired up - without you changing anything - first click - halos ( halod/drl if its daytime out) second click halos and h7/xenon kit

Quote Originally Posted by Silencertk View Post
    ok. well they fit. however my car didnt have hids when i got it. No idea what happened to the original headlights but. ... mine where halogen.

the halos are essentially your parking lights/secondary lighting. there is one plug attached to the lights- so the way the are supposed to be wired up - without you changing anything - first click - halos ( halod/drl if its daytime out) second click halos and h7/xenon kit
    Hmmm, I wonder if your wiring's been modified at all then; because the DRLs do not tie into any lighting within your headlights normally...not even that little corner "driving light". So I don't know how the halos got hooked into your DRLs by simply pluggin' and playin'. The DRLs on the V1 are the ONLY lighting on the exterior of the vehicle when it's running in daylight, and nowhere on the headlight control stem off the steering wheel can I find a way to turn on just the DRLs at all. It's got to be on the automatic setting, and it's got to be bright enough outside to flip the headlight/drl sensor/switch... *shrug*

Silencertk is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V V1

No... Maybe i didnt explain it right. my drl are in during the day. But if i turn on my halos and is day outside - the drl stay on. so essentially both light source are on. If it gets dark the drls will turn off, leaving only the halos...

Quote Originally Posted by Silencertk View Post
    No... Maybe i didnt explain it right. my drl are in during the day. But if i turn on my halos and is day outside - the drl stay on. so essentially both light source are on. If it gets dark the drls will turn off, leaving only the halos...
    Gotcha. That makes sense. Thanks for the info.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by WesH8398 View Post
    Hey guys, how's it goin, eh? ...
    Fixed.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Har har, Randy While you're here... any experience with these lights? And, yes, I know what you're thinking.... I shouldn't bother with them and instead save the money to go towards a Maggie. Unfortunately the headlights are much easier to have home-boss approved than a Maggie...

vcaddy06 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '06 Black Raven CTS-V
    So all in all, if I snatched a pair of these black halo headlights, I would have to rip out my factory HID lights and put in another set?

If you wanted to maintain the HID setup, yes, you'd have to take the OEM HID kit out and buy/install a new kit. The bulbs in the eBay headlights are a different size than the bulbs in your current OEM HID setup.
    As I've found though, you may want to make absolutely sure that the headlights you buy will work with the V/HID because all the vendors I've asked have specified that their product will NOT work with an HID equipped CTS (which would include the V, obviously). They can't provide a precise explanation as to why they say they wont work, but that's still their statement. I suspect their just covering their asses.

Andringa is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Blk/Blk
    Finally got mine installed last night.

Black halo housing from eBay
    55w 4500K DDM low beams
    Basic Sylvania high beam.

Overall they fit alright. I had to fight with them quite a bit to line up with the fender. Once I got the car all back together I think they are both a bit unlevel.

The power connector is the worse part of the lights.

The 55w HID conversion puts out a LOT of light, but the passenger side isn't as bright as the driver side. I may take it back apart and try to figure out if it is wiring/power related or a bad ballast or a bad projector? The color is exactly what I wanted and goes well with my 35w 4500k fog lights.

The cut off is good, but not as clean as the OEM setup.

My units have dust on the inside of the housing that can be seen when the lights are on. Not sure if that's from me or if they came that way.

The driver side high beam is way lower than the passenger side, is anyone else's like this?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

carlson_mn is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Platinum 06 CTS-V, kooks, magnaflow

can you share some pics?

Andringa, thanks for the follow up. I'd like to see some pics too, if you have any. Did you mess with wiring at all to get the halos running with your DRLs?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.