20" wheels, dropped v1, what offset, what width, I'm confused.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, 20" wheels, dropped v1, what offset, what width, I'm confused. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; ...
    Silencertk is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V V1

Question 20" wheels, dropped v1, what offset, what width, I'm confused.

Cts-v v1
    I'm stationed in Germany and want to pick up some wheels stateside - so they have to fit because sending them back won't reallly be an option.

wheel: lexani r-six
    size: 20×8.5 / 20x10
    tire: probably 235/35/20 in the front - no idea in the back.

if you look an my other thread youll see my v1 is pretty low. so ine concern of course is fender clearance.

superbuytires proposed 20x8.5 with a +38mm offset. 40mm for the rear on a 275/30/20 tire.

elemetwheels said i have to get a +28mm offset with that wheel to clear the brake calipers.
    and that i should get 8.5 all the way around because i would need bodywork if i go with 10s in the rear

factory we have 18x8.5 +42mm offset (right? ) so wouldn't my new shoes just have to have the exact same offset to clear everything? and with the smaller tire - it should be even easier to clear everything?

I'm confused.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Re: 20" wheels, dropped v1, what offset, what width, I'm confused.

If you're not comfortable rolling your fenders, then don't get 10" wide wheels. That's the only "body work" required.

Quote Originally Posted by Silencertk View Post
    factory we have 18x8.5 +42mm offset (right? )
    Yes.

...so wouldn't my new shoes just have to have the exact same offset to clear everything?
    No. Offset alone doesn't tell you much - you have to know the width to know whether the offset is right.

and with the smaller tire - it should be even easier to clear everything?
    If you choose the right wheel, there's absolutely no reason to go with a narrower tire.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

okay so 20x8.5 with a 42mm offset will work for the front.

and for the rear theres no offset that i can choose to accommodate the 10" wheel without rolling the fender.

as for the "right" wheel - I'm guessing that this one - with the above mentioned setup is the right wheel. and the narrower tire will give me some extra room to add a few mm more clearance. because even the factory setup rubs a little on some sharp turns during bumps

mberisha is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 Black Escalade AWD & '06 Black CTS-V

My $.02....w/all the variables for possibly getting wheels that may not fit. Take the money you'd spend/waste on 20in rims and buy an unlimited lap year-long pass (1,475 euros) for the Nurburgring!

Plus you'll still have money left over to buy a cool "Ring" sticker to put on your rear-passenger window...

Bestellformular-Nordschleife-2013-GB.pdf

http://www.nuerburgring.de/en/angebo...dschleife.html

"Prices for tourist rides Nordschleife in 2013:

1 lap Nordschleife:
    26,- €

4 laps Nordschleife:
    97,- €

9 laps Nordschleife:
    202,- €

25 laps Nordschleife:
    499,- €

Annual ticket Nordschleife 2013:
    1.475,- €"

I'll pass on the ring all year pass. the autobahn is way more fun with my cadillac "sleeper"
    Mn800r likes this.

Mn800r is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 11 V Coupe, 05 V Mod'd, 91 Fatboy,98 Ultra classic, 07 Tahoe

I would be very careful on rims...I have forgestars W/H&R springs....what a mess this has been!. Currently I have 4 spacers on the rear and 2 in the front so I can drive it mildly with a 1/2 tank of gas and just me. I miss being able to drive this car the way I used to!.

great
    I already ordererd 20x8.5 +38mm (including 3mm spacers in case) wheels on 235/35/20 rubbers.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Mn800r View Post
    I have forgestars W/H&R springs....what a mess this has been!. Currently I have 4 spacers on the rear and 2 in the front so I can drive it mildly with a 1/2 tank of gas and just me. I miss being able to drive this car the way I used to!
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Mn800r is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 11 V Coupe, 05 V Mod'd, 91 Fatboy,98 Ultra classic, 07 Tahoe

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    Sorry...spring spacers that raised the car 1/2 in.

Johnson is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2000 Trans AM WS6

attachment-1.jpgI have 20x8.5 245/35 front and 20x10 rear 285/30 on my car with H&R Springs. The springs have settled a lot over time and rub on bumps when turning in the front, but I have learned to work around it but will be going with coil overs soon. When the springs were new I had no clearance issues.
    Silencertk likes this.

WesH8398 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

To the OP - you're going to have a battle on your hands. Especially with trying to run 20's and 300's in the rear. There's a PLETHORA of information around this forum on this very topic, and it's too bad you didn't do some serious research before you went and dropped all that money on what you bought. I guess we're past that point now though, so I'll try to offer some help...

I went through all these troubles a year and a half or so ago, and I have a number of threads that I started and that I chimed in on regarding the issues of a) my H&R's lowering my car WAAAY more than advertised, b) my 285 tires rubbing bad in the rear, c) The modification(s) myself and "EdmundGTP" employed to space the rear springs (up), d) modifying the MM spacers so to put the Nivomat shocks to work to give some extra height, e) MAP trailing arms that are required for 10"+ rear rims ....... and so on. So have a look through my posts/threads and you should come across some significant info to help you out.

Very quickly, here's what I had to do (off the top of my head) to have my 19x10 rears with 285's fit without shredding the sidewall from rubbing...

- Offset trailing arms (I used MAP arms, but don't think they're available anymore). Without these, the inside edge of your wheel WILL rub on your existing trailing arms. Maybe not all the time, but once you start taking harder corners, etc ... it'll rub. And the sound will scare the shit out of you.
    - Very mildly rolled fenders (I'm not sure this was necessary after other mods, but I had it done anyway)
    - Added home made 3/8" hard durometer rubber "spacers" to the top AND bottom of the rear springs, which jacked the rear back up to a reasonable level...still the fender is barely level with the top of the tire though.
    - Removed the "stand-offs" from my Mightymouse spacers. A few guys argued with me that this wouldn't change anything, but I proved them wrong. Without the stand-offs the Nivomats now kick in to give me another 1/4" or so of ride height (after a kilometer or so of driving). More good news with this is that now the Nivomats do their job when I have a few people in the back seat or a heavy load in the trunk. With the MM spacers installed WITH the stand-offs, the shocks are "fooled" so much that you'd have to have enough weight in the back to compress the rear suspension over 2" before the auto-leveling kicks in. It basically renders the auto-leveling useless... which some guys wanted... no fault of MightMouse.

Anyway...hope that helps. If I forgot anything (and remember to), I'll post more. But please, read, read, read before you slap your new purchased on your car and wind up scraping up the wheels or shredding your new tires on your fenders.

Quote Originally Posted by Mn800r View Post
    I would be very careful on rims...I have forgestars W/H&R springs....what a mess this has been!. Currently I have 4 spacers on the rear and 2 in the front so I can drive it mildly with a 1/2 tank of gas and just me. I miss being able to drive this car the way I used to!.
    Read above man ... I think if you do what I did with the stand-offs on the MM kit, you'll be golden. Wont have to worry about extra weight anymore, as the auto-leveling will keep your rear suspension at a happy level. And it wont pump you back up to factory height because even without the stand-offs, the MM kit still moves the shock's mounting height by an inch or inch and a half.
    Mn800r and Silencertk like this.

thanks for all the input. heres what i ended up purchasing.: I'm hoping its my "safe fitment" package

20x8.5 offset + 38 tires: 235/35/20 all the way around

lil bit closer to the inside, less diameter for the complete wheel, extra fender clearance with the slightly stretched sidewall/narrow tire.

any opinions?

xbladr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Hmmm not sure how that will work and if the compromised tire width is going to be worth it but let us know when you get them slap up some pics

it'll be about 5 weeks but I'll definitely update

mberisha is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 Black Escalade AWD & '06 Black CTS-V

Good luck brother....

BTW...when you do get the wheels in....be SUPER careful at AutoBahn speeds until you can get all the tweeks & measurements worked out that are mentioned above...

Also....I'd be cautious of how low you drop the V over in Germany....I've seen plenty of dudes not pass the "Gestapo" inspection process over there because of aftermarket lowering. I don't think you plan on going to low....but just something to be cognizant of....good luck.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.