One more time....Plus size wheels/tires
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, One more time....Plus size wheels/tires in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; OK...let's go around again....<insert dead horse here> Who has 19s? Who has shoved 255s up front, and 275 in rear? ...
    urbanski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

One more time....Plus size wheels/tires

OK...let's go around again....<insert dead horse here>

Who has 19s?

Who has shoved 255s up front, and 275 in rear? Issues such as control arm rubbing?

Will 255s fit onto a 9" rim, will 275 fit on a 9.5" rim, with no bad effects on handling?

I just was checking out these wheels over at another "CF"
    http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1035106
    and oh man are they sweet...but I want 19s and I want to pack as much rubber under her as I can

oh and Shane your PM box is full again LOL

thanks!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Dreamin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 V

Re: One more time....Plus size wheels/tires

Did you give up on John??

You need to keep the front and rear diameter the same... as close to the same as possible. 255 and 275 wont be the same... run 245/40/19 and 275/35/19 rear or 265/40/19 all the way around.

See post #13:http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=32823
    The V PCM does not like difference in front-to-rear diameters!!

Handling will be fine with 9" front and 9.5" rear... even 9" front and 10" rear... yes, you'll have a little more understeer... but this can be corrected by applying a little more power... And you'll be able to power out of corners a lot more confidently than with the stock 8.5" rear.

HMO...

ssmith100 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Urb,

Emptied bro. Still not sure if the 9" front is going to fit without rubbing. It will be close. My wheels are coming off this weekend to go to John for chroming. Looking at my new powdercoated rotors now on the floor. They look good. I may stick with the 8.5" on the front. Going to talk to John later. I'll keep you updated. Brake rotors going on tommorrow and I'll post pics.

Shane

lasstss is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ssmith100
    Urb,

Emptied bro. Still not sure if the 9" front is going to fit without rubbing. It will be close. My wheels are coming off this weekend to go to John for chroming. Looking at my new powdercoated rotors now on the floor. They look good. I may stick with the 8.5" on the front. Going to talk to John later. I'll keep you updated. Brake rotors going on tommorrow and I'll post pics.

Shane
    Looking at the front tires on a lift, the stockers are extreemly close to the upper spindle arm.1/4" gap at most. Any more width in a wheel has to go to the outside and that is a different issue.

Quote Originally Posted by lasstss
    Looking at the front tires on a lift, the stockers are extreemly close to the upper spindle arm.1/4" gap at most. Any more width in a wheel has to go to the outside and that is a different issue.
    Thanks guys as usual

lasstss, I wonder if the width can be forced to go outside with spacers/offsets, etc. Trouble is, I'll be doing this all over the internet, hard to real life test fit stuff. I just may stick with 8.5" and 245.

Dreamin, I dunno...I am torn...I fell in LOVE with those HRE C20s, and John still has no clear date on when the new finish process will be done. Last I called he changed the finish from "nickel chrome" to "black"....I really don't want black, as much as I don't want just bare polished Aluminum.
    ---And thanks for the info on sizes. I'll do 245/40 and 275/35. Just how would 265 fit up front? And I don't mind a little understeer with staggered sizes. I may welcome it a bit.

Shane....yeah, find out what's going on OK? What's that elusive "new finish" going to be and WHEN???

CTS-VPaco is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Raven/Ebony CTS-V

I spent some time with a friend of mine who works at Firestone and we checked tire sizes for 19x8.5" and 19x10" rims. We came up with 245/35's and 275/30's were the same size but approximately 1" smaller in diameter that stock wheels 'n tires.

I may go with a 19x9" up front and I'm not sure if the 245 will fit properly. The only person I know with extensive tire knowledge is at the Supra meet in Houston, TX right now. Anyone have any feedback on this?

Just how would 265 fit up front?
    ...Very carefully...

Pic attached of the mallett wheels 9" in front w/265s. 1/4" inboard, 1/4" outboard... making it flush with the edge of the fender.
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=29712

Shane just tell John... "Mallett can get 9" wheels to fit?!" AND you dont want them to stick past the fender... Mallett's wheels to not stick out!

Goto: http://www.mallettcars.com/ and click "Available NOW: CTS-V wheels in 19x9!" for more pics.

What's that elusive "new finish" going to be
    A little bit 'duller' than this...

and WHEN???
    ...it may be a while now... Racing season is about to start and John is going to get sucked up supporting his teams...

I spent some time with a friend of mine who works at Firestone and we checked tire sizes for 19x8.5" and 19x10" rims. We came up with 245/35's and 275/30's were the same size but approximately 1" smaller in diameter that stock wheels 'n tires.

I may go with a 19x9" up front and I'm not sure if the 245 will fit properly. The only person I know with extensive tire knowledge is at the Supra meet in Houston, TX right now. Anyone have any feedback on this?
    Firestone's computer is on the fritz or you had the option turned on.

245/40/19 and 275/35/19 are IDENTICAL to stock diameter...

And 245's will be on a 9" wheel... look at the tire's spec sheet (or goto Tirerack)... the "Acceptable Rim Range" is: 8" to 9.5"

I've got a 1/4" spacer at home... i'll throw it up front and post some pics (probably next weekend).

Shane: Do your rear wheels stick past the fender??

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamin
    Firestone's computer is on the fritz or you had the option turned on.

245/40/19 and 275/35/19 are IDENTICAL to stock diameter...

And 245's will be on a 9" wheel... look at the tire's spec sheet (or goto Tirerack)... the "Acceptable Rim Range" is: 8" to 9.5"
    Thanks for the feedback and siting your source! :coolgleam

thanks guys...

I don't like those Mallett wheels.
    And Dreamin, if John is going to be busy, I'll just order HREs.

OK, after a li'l bit of free time (Godamn customers think they come before me and this important information regarding plus-sizing my rims!) I did the math and here is what I have...

Stock 245/45/18's - 110.25mm of sidewall = 4.341" (Rounded to the nearest 1000th) = 22.341" of wheel diameter.

245/40/19's - 98mm of sidewall = 3.858" = 22.858" of wheel diameter.

275/35/19's - 96.25mm of sidewall = 3.789" = 22.789" of wheel diamter.

So, what I want to know, is this difference negligible or will it cause trouble with the car's electronics? It is approximately a half-inch of difference between stock rolling diameter and the new set of 19's. Help?

odysseus is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS

Quote Originally Posted by CTS-VPaco
    OK, after a li'l bit of free time (Godamn customers think they come before me and this important information regarding plus-sizing my rims!) I did the math and here is what I have...

Stock 245/45/18's - 110.25mm of sidewall = 4.341" (Rounded to the nearest 1000th) = 22.341" of wheel diameter.

245/40/19's - 98mm of sidewall = 3.858" = 22.858" of wheel diameter.

275/35/19's - 96.25mm of sidewall = 3.789" = 22.789" of wheel diamter.

So, what I want to know, is this difference negligible or will it cause trouble with the car's electronics? It is approximately a half-inch of difference between stock rolling diameter and the new set of 19's. Help?
    The theory is correct, but the math isn't quite right, if you're calculating wheel (with tire) diameters. You don't need to subtract one sidewall width. They should be somewhere in the 26" to 27" range.

Basically, 245mm wide divided by 25.4mm/inch (to convert to english units) times 45% (sidewall to width ratio) times two sidewalls widths (top and bottom of rim) plus 18 inch rim diameter = 26.8"

just use this guys
    http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp

Oh, and I just ordered the HRE C20s (sorry John).

19x9F, 19x9.5R, 245/40F, 275/35R

YAY

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.