Need a set of vinyl perimeter overlays for my headlights (DESPERATE) !
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, Need a set of vinyl perimeter overlays for my headlights (DESPERATE) ! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Guys, Edit: Black color needed - gloss or matte Does anybody have an old set of the headlight perimeter overlays ...
    tweeter81 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Exclamation Need a set of vinyl perimeter overlays for my headlights (DESPERATE) !

Guys,

Edit: Black color needed - gloss or matte

Does anybody have an old set of the headlight perimeter overlays that they have not installed? I'm prepared to pay someone a little more than they paid for them because I need them so bad.

My headlight tint paint is flaking and if I could find a set of these overlays I could cover up the bad area and hopefully stop the flaking.

I hope someone on here can help me out!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Need a set of vinyl perimeter overlays for my headlights (DESPERATE) !

I can't believe there's not one person out there that has these unused overlays...

But if that is the case, does anyone have any ideas for what I could use as a homemade perimeter overlay?

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

paint?
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

OneFast V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Raven Black CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by tweeter81 View Post
    I can't believe there's not one person out there that has these unused overlays...

But if that is the case, does anyone have any ideas for what I could use as a homemade perimeter overlay?
    plastidip maybe. wont be color matched but it would not be bad either for at least a temporary solution.

thefulmonty_07 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

Are you talking about the ones from 8th day? If so I might still have a set, but I won't be home for about 2 weeks...I'm in Afghanistan right now. I bought them about a year ago and never used them...I'm pretty sure I have them in the garage, I can check when i get home and let you know if you want.

UnsafeAtAnySpd is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V, '07 SRT8 Jeep, '86 Fiero

Hey man, you should get a set of the ebay dual halo lights. The black housing would look good on your car.

odthetruth is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

[2006 CTS-V - "The Vee Baby Seamus"] - 372rwhp / 361rwtq
    Pacesetters | Off Road Adapters | Cutouts | Stock Airbox | Stock Catback
    BMR AWK | CS Diff Block | Short Shifter | UMI MM | Revshift TM

Quote Originally Posted by thefulmonty_07 View Post
    Are you talking about the ones from 8th day? If so I might still have a set, but I won't be home for about 2 weeks...I'm in Afghanistan right now. I bought them about a year ago and never used them...I'm pretty sure I have them in the garage, I can check when i get home and let you know if you want.
    Sounds great, sir! thanks! And I can wait until you get back, no big deal.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by UnsafeAtAnySpd View Post
    Hey man, you should get a set of the ebay dual halo lights. The black housing would look good on your car.
    I might check those out cuz I'm getting a little tired of not being able to see at night without running with the brights on constantly.

EdmundGTP is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by tweeter81 View Post
    Sounds great, sir! thanks! And I can wait until you get back, no big deal.

----------

I might check those out cuz I'm getting a little tired of not being able to see at night without running with the brights on constantly.
    How about completely sanding off the tint and re-polishing them back to original clear??

I got some HID's 8000k and it looks just as bright as it was before I got them smoked.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmundGTP View Post
    How about completely sanding off the tint and re-polishing them back to original clear??
    I thought about that but I'm not sure i could accomplish it without messing up the light, and I'm lazy and just want an easy fix.

----------
    thefulmonty_07

That's a good idea as well. It's been awhile since I've looked but how easy/hard is it to change the headlight bulbs? Does the bumper have to come off like it does for practically everything else?

EdmundGTP is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Yes the bumper has to come off to change headlight bulbs. If overall light output is your concern, then moving up to a higher temp HID bulb will not solve any of your problems. Maximum lumen output for HID's is in the neighborhood of 4100-4500K bulb temperature. The higher you go, the less lumens you get. The resulting color of the light as it passes through your tinted lenses may "look" brighter, but you aren't getting anymore useful light.

A secondary option to your light output issue, instead of bringing your headlights back to clear, is to wire up a set of HID bulbs in your fog light housings. (Assuming they aren't heavily tinted over already as well) I have 6000K 55W HID Headlights and 6000K 35W HID foglights. With the combination of those two I NEVER EVER use my high beams.

Sounds like the original tint job is starting to crack and flake off. Even with the vinyl overlay's you'll still be able to see the cracking and chipping through the vinyl. It's not thick enough to hide surface imperfections beneath it. In order to get rid of the surface damage completely, you either have to sand it smooth, or cover it with something that's thick enough to hide it. Masking it off and painting it with plasti-dip MIGHT be thick enough to hide the problem areas. Bottom line, the BEST looking fix to your headlight finish issue is going to require sanding/polishing of some sort.

bneal1022 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, K&N, Borla, short throw w/ Holden knob, hotchkis
    I'm the original designer of the perimeter overlay vinyl. I gave the design to 8th day as I got too much flack about mal- installation. Its not an easy job to put them on. But take time it works well. Mine still look good after 3.5 years but may need a set in a year. I suggest contacting them. I don't want to provide then since I transferred it to them. Although I could selfishly make a set but I'd rather deal with them.

I like the mask and paint job though. How does it hold up?

izcain is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 V

Mine have been holding up fine so far using the night shades product for painting them.
    odthetruth likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmundGTP View Post
    Yes the bumper has to come off to change headlight bulbs. If overall light output is your concern, then moving up to a higher temp HID bulb will not solve any of your problems. Maximum lumen output for HID's is in the neighborhood of 4100-4500K bulb temperature. The higher you go, the less lumens you get. The resulting color of the light as it passes through your tinted lenses may "look" brighter, but you aren't getting anymore useful light.

A secondary option to your light output issue, instead of bringing your headlights back to clear, is to wire up a set of HID bulbs in your fog light housings. (Assuming they aren't heavily tinted over already as well) I have 6000K 55W HID Headlights and 6000K 35W HID foglights. With the combination of those two I NEVER EVER use my high beams.

Sounds like the original tint job is starting to crack and flake off. Even with the vinyl overlay's you'll still be able to see the cracking and chipping through the vinyl. It's not thick enough to hide surface imperfections beneath it. In order to get rid of the surface damage completely, you either have to sand it smooth, or cover it with something that's thick enough to hide it. Masking it off and painting it with plasti-dip MIGHT be thick enough to hide the problem areas. Bottom line, the BEST looking fix to your headlight finish issue is going to require sanding/polishing of some sort.
    You're right about the output, I only went with 8000k because I like bluish color to it.

----------

Is 8thday still good to order from? I've ordered from them before with no issue, but I've seen a number of posts complaining about how long they take at times or how hard they are to reach. From what I understand now is that it's pretty much hit or miss.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.