LED brake lights
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, LED brake lights in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Has anyone looked into LED replacemnt bulbs for the rear light on the car?? tail and brake lights.....An argument could ...
    darvish is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 sedan , 11 Wagon

LED brake lights

Has anyone looked into LED replacemnt bulbs for the rear light on the car?? tail and brake lights.....An argument could be made that they light faster,, ( and look cool ) and might juts prevent a rear end collision since they light up quicker than standard bulbs,,, so it give a milisecond more warning and that juts might make the difference between the guy behind you hitting you or not.

Bill
    St Louis

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ctsvett is offline FAQ is your Friend
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Re: LED brake lights

Someone told me yes they would work, but I never got a firm confirmation so I never posted it on the FAQ. If someone can verify the bulb numbers, etc I will post (sorry, I lost the part numbers)

I think it would be a neat option.

Reed
    http://www.cadillacfaq.com

benjet is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Remind me in ~1 week, I think it was lastss who did it and he had sent me at least 1 pic and some places to get them.

Lastss (or anyone else with experience) feel free to chime in.

I don't have them on my car, just happen to have the pic in an archive somewhere.

-Ben

BeagleBrains is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 Seville; 2004 CTS V; 2011 CTS V Coupe

http://www.buytruckstuff.com/
    This site is a good place to start. Scan all of the LED lighting information. You will find that, as I have when installing LEDs in three different cars, the electrical resistance differs from incandescent bulbs. There is significantly lower electrical load on the car's DC system. The most important change is this low electrical load will not properly heat the turn signal relay. This causes your turn signals to blink at a rate of about 10-20 times per second. Yup, very fast, essentially appearing not to flash at all. The better LED installations provide a loading resister to correct this. However, many LED lighting sites don't tell you about the problems. Some have a special Turn Signal Relay with a resistance compensation. Others sell the resistance relay kit at extra charge.
    The great thing about new LEDs is their instantaneous response to the brake pedal input. A normal bulb with a filliment requires a large fraction of a second to heat up and produce light. No delay for LEDs.
    I have a history record somewhere of a company that sells LED Lighting kits that included everything needed. I will look for it.
    Found: http://www.autoguide.net/partsandservices/lights2.shtml
    http://www.led.net/datasheets/auto_index/auto_index.htm
    Good replacement type bulbs with resistor kits.

lasstss is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Hey Ben, good memory. I posted pics a while back. I have had them for a year now, almost.

The best bulbs are here, pretty pricy though but they are quality lamps. Nice red color. No flasher problems in the Caddy its probably an electronic flasher.
    Had em in my impala. used an S-10 flasher.

Part number was AUT 3157
    they lowered the price too. $31.50 ea. I paid $40

www.ledtronics.com:coolgleam

BUILDINGCTSAMG is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Lastss could you maybe show exactly wha tyou bought? I would use LEDS and we could organize a group buy

JOEYCTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan

Anyone have pics?

pics

benjet is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Lasstss thanks for jumping in on this and sorry for constantly (I could bet I've done it more than once) refering to you as lastss (lacking the double dual "S"). Things is on my list of things I want to do to the car but haven't taken the time to even think about.

Quote Originally Posted by benjet
    Lasstss thanks for jumping in on this and sorry for constantly (I could bet I've done it more than once) refering to you as lastss (lacking the double dual "S"). Things is on my list of things I want to do to the car but haven't taken the time to even think about.
    No prob. actually that was the plate on my last car. I had to use double ss because someone else had taken lastss. Close enough..

I recommennd the LED's to everyone as just the lamp speed alone gives you a margin of safety!

Redline is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2005 SRX

Thumbs up Re: LED brake lights

Great thread. I was looking @ my wife's SRX taillights the other night thinking how much better looking they are than ours... I'll give it some consideration. First, however, are the highbeams and the foglights....

Mbai2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS DI 6 Speed Manual Black/Black w/ FE3 Fully Loaded

Lasstss, thanks for the info. Did you only replace the top bulb? I think that is the only one that is dual contact. The other two are singles. The only time you'd have flasher problems is if you replaced the amber turn signal bulb with an LED array.

urbanski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

how did you swap them out?
    how many bulbs did ya get?
    how about removing the rear lights?

talk to me man!!

I think I changed all of them and used dual contact in all of them. I will have to pull one and look. Its been a year and Im over 50! I will check tonight. Unlike the front bulbs the tails are a snap to remove!

Mbai2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS DI 6 Speed Manual Black/Black w/ FE3 Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by urbanski
    how did you swap them out?
    how many bulbs did ya get?
    how about removing the rear lights?

talk to me man!!
    http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/rearlight.html

On another note, as BuildingCTSAMG suggested, I think a group buy would be a great idea. Anyone know how to set one up?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.