Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Steering Wheel Recovered in Alcantara

7K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  UnsafeAtAnySpd 
#1 ·
I just finished putting on my newly recovered wheel. I opted to go with some extra padding on the wheel to make it a bit thicker and bumped out the thumb grips slightly more than stock. Its nice and plush and grippy now. I went with a dark gray stitching also so I didn't have to worry about the white stitching getting dirty after repeated use.

See less See more
#6 ·
Fuzzy,
I had a local friend (seamstress) do the work for me. She has previous experience doing steering wheels so I knew the quality of work was good.
I provided the fabric, she had the foam backing material already.
She charged me $250 for the labor and it took her 2 days to get it back to me.

I bought a used V-wheel from Ebay for $49. The leather was in terrible condition (extremely smooth), but the bezel was good and there were no gauges in it so it would work fine for what I was doing.

From what I've seen from the other options dallas and craft they just wrap over top of the existing leather and I was not interested in that. I also got quoted much higher than $299 from them. It was somewhere on the order of $450-$550 for Alcantara, thicker rim, and thicker thumb bumps.

Alcantara is very thin and will show any imperfection underneath the material hence not wanting to just re-wrap over the current leather. There also different grades of material to consider when doing this. Most alcantara is spec'd for trim where it doesn't really get touched much. Some is for seats, and other is for shifters/steering wheels and other high frequency touch points. This grade of material is designed to resist wear from human skin oil versus seating material which is designed more for fabric on fabric wear. So if you were to provide material for somebody to wrap a wheel make sure you have the right stuff or it won't last long.

I can ask her if she'd be interested in doing a few more wheels if there was any interest.

thebigshimsho said:
What was it lost in?
lol.

#4 ·
Looks good. Interested in more details.

#5 ·
I picked up a used steering wheel for my Mustang and sent it off to Craft Customs to be covered in leather and thickened up a bit. I'm hoping to have it back this week. Craft's quote was $299 + shipping, and that included adding padding to thicken the rim. Dallas Custom Steering Wheel wanted $299 + another $50 to add the padding. I have no idea how the quality of the materials and workmanship of the two places compare to each other, but I'll post up pics and initial impressions when I get the wheel back.

#7 ·
I don't like Acalantara on steering wheels and shifter knobs, but if she can do high quality "normal" leather, I might be interested. Ultimately, I want to get the majority of my interior hydro-dipped, leather wrapped, or (in the case of the headliner) re-wrapped in Acalantara. I have extra interior pieces that I'd be willing to send in to test her mettle.

#9 ·
Dallas Custom does not go over your leather. They strip the wheel down. I think I paid a little over $300 for my wheel a couple years ago and it's holding up nicely.

#12 ·
I was able to see the OP's steering wheel in person yesterday. Looked and felt great, craftsmanship was outstanding!

#13 ·
I'm going to have to do this and the V2 knob at some point.

Reactions: f2000keith
#16 ·
I think that wheel/shifter combo with some white piping on the boot would go well with my new seats.

#18 ·
black on black imo

#20 ·
^They're a bit snug.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.