Steering Wheel Recovered in Alcantara
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, Steering Wheel Recovered in Alcantara in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I just finished putting on my newly recovered wheel. I opted to go with some extra padding on the wheel ...
    barrok69 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Maggied

Steering Wheel Recovered in Alcantara

I just finished putting on my newly recovered wheel. I opted to go with some extra padding on the wheel to make it a bit thicker and bumped out the thumb grips slightly more than stock. Its nice and plush and grippy now. I went with a dark gray stitching also so I didn't have to worry about the white stitching getting dirty after repeated use.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

FuzzyLogic is offline Banned

Re: Steering Wheel Recovered in Alcantara

Where did you have it done, what did it cost, and do you have any advice for those that want to replace the leather on their steering wheels?

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    What was it lost in?

UnsafeAtAnySpd is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V, '07 SRT8 Jeep, '86 Fiero

Looks good. Interested in more details.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

I picked up a used steering wheel for my Mustang and sent it off to Craft Customs to be covered in leather and thickened up a bit. I'm hoping to have it back this week. Craft's quote was $299 + shipping, and that included adding padding to thicken the rim. Dallas Custom Steering Wheel wanted $299 + another $50 to add the padding. I have no idea how the quality of the materials and workmanship of the two places compare to each other, but I'll post up pics and initial impressions when I get the wheel back.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

barrok69 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Maggied

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    Where did you have it done, what did it cost, and do you have any advice for those that want to replace the leather on their steering wheels?
    Fuzzy,
    I had a local friend (seamstress) do the work for me. She has previous experience doing steering wheels so I knew the quality of work was good.
    I provided the fabric, she had the foam backing material already.
    She charged me $250 for the labor and it took her 2 days to get it back to me.

I bought a used V-wheel from Ebay for $49. The leather was in terrible condition (extremely smooth), but the bezel was good and there were no gauges in it so it would work fine for what I was doing.

From what I've seen from the other options dallas and craft they just wrap over top of the existing leather and I was not interested in that. I also got quoted much higher than $299 from them. It was somewhere on the order of $450-$550 for Alcantara, thicker rim, and thicker thumb bumps.

Alcantara is very thin and will show any imperfection underneath the material hence not wanting to just re-wrap over the current leather. There also different grades of material to consider when doing this. Most alcantara is spec'd for trim where it doesn't really get touched much. Some is for seats, and other is for shifters/steering wheels and other high frequency touch points. This grade of material is designed to resist wear from human skin oil versus seating material which is designed more for fabric on fabric wear. So if you were to provide material for somebody to wrap a wheel make sure you have the right stuff or it won't last long.

I can ask her if she'd be interested in doing a few more wheels if there was any interest.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigshimsho
    What was it lost in?
    lol.

I don't like Acalantara on steering wheels and shifter knobs, but if she can do high quality "normal" leather, I might be interested. Ultimately, I want to get the majority of my interior hydro-dipped, leather wrapped, or (in the case of the headliner) re-wrapped in Acalantara. I have extra interior pieces that I'd be willing to send in to test her mettle.

jamesdem1123 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS V

Looks great. I dont know if I'd pay $300 for it though. I think I'd try the DIY route first.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=570659

Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo

Dallas Custom does not go over your leather. They strip the wheel down. I think I paid a little over $300 for my wheel a couple years ago and it's holding up nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
    Dallas Custom does not go over your leather. They strip the wheel down. I think I paid a little over $300 for my wheel a couple years ago and it's holding up nicely.
    Any pictures?

Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    Any pictures?
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ra-teaser.html

JD03Cobra is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 Platinum CTS V

I was able to see the OP's steering wheel in person yesterday. Looked and felt great, craftsmanship was outstanding!

UnsafeAtAnySpd is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V, '07 SRT8 Jeep, '86 Fiero

I'm going to have to do this and the V2 knob at some point.
    f2000keith and f2000keith like this.

f2000keith is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Me too. I just want to color match the knob with the wheel. Is the V2 knob grey or black alcantara?

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    It's between a gray and black.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.