Blacked Out Thread - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, Blacked Out Thread in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; What's going on everyone, ima long time creeper of the forum n just recently made an account.. After checking this ...
    Mappy610 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    What's going on everyone, ima long time creeper of the forum n just recently made an account..
    After checking this thread it has made me come out from lurking n say DAMN!! All these cars look GREAT..I love the all black/murdered out look

I myself have an 07 Cts 3.6L 'luxury' editionwith 42000 miles, mesh chrome grill, sunroof with stock everything else

image-148615543.jpg

Now I'm just looking for insight as I'm looking to blak out the grille, wheels(possibly), n lights..but after seeing all the pics I can't really tell if the plastidip people are using is the gloss or matte finish?.. I can't make up my mind on what would looks better

odthetruth is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Re: Blacked Out Thread

I used matte finish. Gloss would probably look even better.

[2006 CTS-V - "The Vee Baby Seamus"] - 372rwhp / 361rwtq
    Pacesetters | Off Road Adapters | Cutouts | Stock Airbox | Stock Catback
    BMR AWK | CS Diff Block | Short Shifter | UMI MM | Revshift TM

joshuajohn1981 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS V
    I didn't even know there was a gloss option but if i did I probably would have used that.

D3l7a3ch0 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V Black-on-Black

I think you've seen the link to the black abs plastic grille, but I think it's worth mentioning again: for 60-70 bucks shipped, it's worth the work it saves, although the badge holder is very bulky and it caused me to decide to do without one. (a cadillac badge)

My stock grille is hanging on my wall. Gaudy, and it would lead a person to think the car is dead (and the grille is a memento), but anyone who would see my room would know the car is alive and well, so. It's a nice reminder for when I'm in my room and the V is out of view.

Wow, VHT ruined my day (and night). :-/ I've been at it all day, taking everything apart, wet sanding like mofo, and I even did my headlight perimeter in gloss black (which looks awesome!).

When it was time for VHT I was feeling pretty good. Prepped the hell out of everything. First light coat went fine. Second medium coat seemed ok until I looked back at my headlights. But loads of cracks in them. Seemed like the VHT cracked but no, there are actually cracks in the plastic. So pissed.

The rest actually seem to have come out ok. I'm just going to spray some VHT back on the headlight so I can clear coat everything and throw it back together tomorrow.

Looks like I'll be getting those dual halo head lights sooner than I expected. Still pretty bummed though.

ranger2525 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 cts-v,2003 escalade,2000 corvette conv. 1996 harley, 20

Attachment 105958Attachment 105959
    Not nearly complete. But it will be Blacked way out.

Another plug for the black plastic grille: they support the bumper better. Where the mesh chrome stainless steel is free-floating in the chrome frame, the black plastic grille is one piece. There is much more rigidity to the bumper as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by joshuajohn1981 View Post
    Wow, VHT ruined my day (and night). :-/ I've been at it all day, taking everything apart, wet sanding like mofo, and I even did my headlight perimeter in gloss black (which looks awesome!).

When it was time for VHT I was feeling pretty good. Prepped the hell out of everything. First light coat went fine. Second medium coat seemed ok until I looked back at my headlights. But loads of cracks in them. Seemed like the VHT cracked but no, there are actually cracks in the plastic. So pissed.

The rest actually seem to have come out ok. I'm just going to spray some VHT back on the headlight so I can clear coat everything and throw it back together tomorrow.

Looks like I'll be getting those dual halo head lights sooner than I expected. Still pretty bummed though.
    The halos are a great option. I've noticed aftermarket lights more than usual, now that I've made that jump (and am more conscious of the appearance), and I don't know how dual halos could look better than these. A lot of aftermarket headlight options just don't look right, but these do. Maybe it's the styling of the 1st gen CTS that accepts the increased detail in the lights, I'm not sure.

However. One thing you should be aware of, that is not apparent in the pictures: they come with "yellow" conventional bulbs in them, and they're plug-and-play, but you lose the oh-so-perfectly-bright stock bulbs.

The square mounting frame for the ballast (controller box thing) on the underside of the housing is there, but it is sealed off from the inside of the housing. It requires some modification to open it up.

Also, the back half of the eagle eye lens is mated to a shorter cone/reflector for the simpler "yellow" bulb.

I've run out of steam for the time being, but to use the stock bulbs would probably require reuse of the complete eagle eye lens and cone assembly, as the aftermarket cone has a different retention clip layout. The stock bulb assembly is definitely bigger.

Plenty bright, but yellow and hot.

The cone is mated to the lens via spot melting, and surgery to replace just the cones is impractical.

The plug also required some melting via heated flathead screwdriver(with the stove), because the retention latch was molded too close to the base of the plug, and the stock male end would not click into the receptacle.

I'll take some pics this week, especially if you are going to make the jump to them.

Sorry about your experience; it is what I imagined would happen to mine, and made the $200 price of the aftermarkets seem more reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger2525 View Post
    Attachment 105958Attachment 105959
    Not nearly complete. But it will be Blacked way out.
    Holy shit, do want. Is that paint or vinyl? Judging by the structure the V is parked in, I'm guessing vinyl? Either way, how much?? A painter who knows how to work matte properly is hard to find... I know a vinyl shop owner who quoted me $3000, but I wouldn't feel right about covering up an old paint job, so if it will be repainted first, I think I might as well just paint it matte..

Holy shit that looks villainous

Is that a paint sprayer? There's no way you shot that in open air... did you?

Thanks for the info on the headlights. I already planned on buying them after seeing them on your car and a couple other cars. That also the reason I decided to give nightshade a shot on my headlights. Got everything buttoned up tonight and took it for a spin. It's already too dark, I can tell. I'll post some pics tomorrow though.

ranger2525 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 cts-v,2003 escalade,2000 corvette conv. 1996 harley, 20
    No that is paint! Yes it is expensive. No it was not painted open air. It was painted in very expensive paint booth in rural KC. More pix on my thread .
    D3l7a3ch0 and D3l7a3ch0 like this.

Too blacked out? Getting close.

the back end is awesome, so is the front, and I think if you lost all chrome you'd get the blacked out V award

Haha. Ya, I'm still playing with it. The headlights got f'ed up so I'll be changing them. I'll either be copying yours or the ones on that V with the "Ice Smoke Vinyl Wrap" or whatever it is. I like the look of both. How much we're yours by the way?

$200... for the pair! I posted the ebay link a page or two back.

there are a lot of ebay sellers of this headlight, I picked the one that was ten bucks more than the lowest offer, but included a pair of random LED lights... looks like a row of 4 or 5 LEDs in a plastic body 5 inches by 1 inch, with rounded ends.

I would post a picture of them, but I don't remember where I put them (hah)

praprestoabi is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6
    Quote Originally Posted by joshuajohn1981
    Too blacked out? Getting close.
    Notices the Cali plates. Cop trouble??

JJ's just a badass

if only there was a catchy mantra to expound JJ's readily apparent attitude toward law enforcement.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.