Tires- thoughts?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, Tires- thoughts? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; This summer I bought my V. It came with a great set of winter tires Michelin XICE size: 225/50R18. Since ...
    Scott2012 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V & 2010 AWD CTS

Tires- thoughts?

This summer I bought my V. It came with a great set of winter tires Michelin XICE size: 225/50R18.
    Since I have decided not to drive my V in the winter, I plan to get rid of these tires and install some great tires for summer.
    I'm probably going to go with stock size: 245/45/18

So far I've stopped at a few places and found Bridgestone Potenza re970 for about $200 each.

Anyone use these or have other recommendations?
    I saw a thread where guys do a 275/40/18 on rear stock rims. Are there really any advantages? I do like the look of a wider tire

I will never take the car to the track. But I want great handling in rain, and quiet ride. Don't care about wear or warranty.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carlson_mn is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Platinum 06 CTS-V, kooks, magnaflow

Re: Tires- thoughts?

Hey Scott,

I'll be going with General G-MAX AS-03. I am going to do size 255/45 as it's insignificantly larger than stock size but every bit helps. They are also only 26lbs which I like, compared to 28-30 for most others. I've been extremely pleased with a similar General tire before. They are $164ea at tire rack, which would come to about $200/ea after shipping and install. I'm guessing for non-track use they will return at least 30k miles even with our torque output. Being that we're in MN I think they will perform a bit better during the cooler / drier times compared to a strictly summer tire.

I'm sure there's a lot of tires that will work well. Those Generals do everything well considering I have separate snow tires as well.

I'm not a fan of the staggered sizes as being able to rotate tires front/back is paramount on a car like this unless you can afford to buy two rears for every front. 20mm aint gonna look much different either. To each their own there though, everybody has different goals.

dangrus is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V

I put the Potenzas on this fall and they have been really good. I just had to get through some snow on Friday and they worked pretty good. Since you are not going to drive in winter, why are you looking at an All Season tire? You should be able to get way better performance out of a summer only tire.

Scott2012 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V & 2010 AWD CTS

Quote Originally Posted by dangrus View Post
    I put the Potenzas on this fall and they have been really good. I just had to get through some snow on Friday and they worked pretty good. Since you are not going to drive in winter, why are you looking at an All Season tire? You should be able to get way better performance out of a summer only tire.
    I'm not really sure- it was a sales person recommendation. I don't know a whole lot about tires.
    But I do want the best I can get with in reason. Basically looking around 2-250 range per tire, needs to handle awesome, have great grip in dry and wet pavement. My V stays in the garage until the snow is gone, so don't care at all about handling in snow.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by carlson_mn View Post
    Hey Scott,

I'll be going with General G-MAX AS-03. I am going to do size 255/45 as it's insignificantly larger than stock size but every bit helps. They are also only 26lbs which I like, compared to 28-30 for most others. I've been extremely pleased with a similar General tire before. They are $164ea at tire rack, which would come to about $200/ea after shipping and install. I'm guessing for non-track use they will return at least 30k miles even with our torque output. Being that we're in MN I think they will perform a bit better during the cooler / drier times compared to a strictly summer tire.

I'm sure there's a lot of tires that will work well. Those Generals do everything well considering I have separate snow tires as well.

I'm not a fan of the staggered sizes as being able to rotate tires front/back is paramount on a car like this unless you can afford to buy two rears for every front. 20mm aint gonna look much different either. To each their own there though, everybody has different goals.
    Is this an all season tire? How does it do for handling in rain? And are thy quiet tires? Thanks much!

----------

Quote Originally Posted by carlson_mn View Post
    Hey Scott,

Is this an all season tire? How does it do for handling in rain? And are thy quiet tires? Thanks much!

That General tire was great in rain and gripped as well as any summer tire I have had. It was more comfortable and had negligible wear in 15k miles before selling my last car. Can't wait to put them on the V but I have a lot of tire yet to burn up currently on my rims.

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust
    Check out the Hankook RS3 tires.

JDB
    JDB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 Raven/Ebony CTS-V with toys

start with researching www.tirerack.com

ONEBADCADDIE is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V

I have a set of nitto nt555 245f and 275r These things grip great and I got them both sizes for under 200 a tire

vcaddy06 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '06 Black Raven CTS-V
    I'm about to buy my second set of BFG T/A KDW2. Currently I have 255/40 all around, but since it is no longer my dd, I'm going to 255/40 front and 275/40 rear. I swear by my bfgs. They advertised that it was/is the only radial street tire to pull more then 1g of grip on cornering.

SKEEL44 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by vcaddy06
    I'm about to buy my second set of BFG T/A KDW2. Currently I have 255/40 all around, but since it is no longer my dd, I'm going to 255/40 front and 275/40 rear. I swear by my bfgs. They advertised that it was/is the only radial street tire to pull more then 1g of grip on cornering.
    I also have that tire and would highly recommend them!

barrok69 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Maggied

I'm running Michelin Pilot Super Sports (summer only tire). They are very comfortable, grip very good and handle rain with ease. I drove the car from Michigan to Florida and back in december ! Never ran into any issues with them. Temps got down to 32°F. When I got back home there was some ice on my driveway and i couldn't get up it though. It made the 2000mile journey through thick and thin, but the last 30 ft were a no go. I had to shovel it before i could tuck it back in the garage where it belongs!

I had Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's before that and they were very good. The ride wasn't as good as the Super Sports though. I'm running 245/45R18 all around. I've run Bridgstone Potenza RE-11's on my other car and love those too. It was a toss up between the RE-11's and the Super Sports. Discount Tire just happened to have a mail in on Michelins at the time and i ended up getting the tires for $200 a piece. I'm happy with them, no complaints yet.

vcaddy06 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '06 Black Raven CTS-V
    The PS2's are a great tire. Very smooth, quiet, and great tread ware. Those come stock on the newer model Porsche. My father has them on his LS460. But they can be pricey.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by JDB View Post
    start with researching www.tirerack.com
    Excellent suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by vcaddy06 View Post
    I'm about to buy my second set of BFG T/A KDW2. I swear by my bfgs. They advertised that it was/is the only radial street tire to pull more then 1g of grip on cornering.
    That was the KD, not the KDW, and that hasn't really been a valid claim for a number of years. There are a number of max and extreme performance tires that will easily outperform the KD - Hankook RS3s, Yoko AD08s, Dunlop Star Spec and ZII, BFG Rival, Nitto NT05, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott2012 View Post
    But I do want the best I can get with in reason. Basically looking around 2-250 range per tire, needs to handle awesome, have great grip in dry and wet pavement. My V stays in the garage until the snow is gone, so don't care at all about handling in snow.
    There are plenty of options in that price range. I would advise you to stick with 245/45s all around. A number of good options drop off the list if you decide to go with 275/40s, not to mention it's always good to be able to rotate tires.

If you want fantastic performance in wet and dry along with a quiet ride, my suggestion would be to look at the Continental ExtremeContact DW, Michelin Pilot Super Sport, and Bridgestone S-04PP (in no particular order). The Michelin Pilot line (PS, PS2, and now PSS) has been the benchmark summer tire for years now - you pretty much can't go wrong with them. The DW and the S-04PP will give you 95% or more of the performance for 10-15% less cost (as you can see if you compare the prices on tirerack.com and look at Tire Rack's test results).
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    ... compare the prices on tirerack.com and look at Tire Rack's test results ...
    This is what I do. Their test results are easy to digest and really help you make the decision as they have several parameters (noise, wet perf, dry perf, etc) that they rate the tires on.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Those are the combined ratings of people that own the tires which I think is a great way to get a good idea. Total mileage of the reviewers is on the chart too.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.