best way to split apart headlights???
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, best way to split apart headlights??? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I got an extra pair of headlights and I want to split them apart so I can paint the inside ...
    platinum_V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 platinum Cts-V

best way to split apart headlights???

I got an extra pair of headlights and I want to split them apart so I can paint the inside platinum or black ( itll look like the c6 corvette headlights). Anyone know the best way to split them? I heard putting them in the oven? But want to find out for sure.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

etcts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V, 423 RWHP / 380 RWTQ

Re: best way to split apart headlights???

I used oven trick when I tried mine but I would go super slow and carefully as you will easily crack the housings. Based on my experience I have to highly suggest you not try to open and paint them, sell them on e-bay for $300 and buy a set of aftermarkets for $300. I finally just tossed mine in the trash after a month of trying to get them resealed and the paint to look decent which was a complete waste...

DrSpeed is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Or you send them off to DC Customs:

http://www.facebook.com/DCCustomsSRT

For splitting, painting, and all sorts of cool stuff.

Here's mine:

platinum_V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 platinum Cts-V

Looks sick! Any pics of how they look during the day with the lights off

DrSpeed is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

D3l7a3ch0 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V Black-on-Black

It seems like headlights start to lose their outer coating after three years, so I'm looking at replacing mine. I'm finding some interesting dual "over/under" ccfl halo kits on ebay.

anything black plastic and halo is good enough for me at this point. any suggestions from the ebay selections?

The gloss black repaint is awesome

//I went with these http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-07-Cadill...120ec1&vxp=mtr ... the same ones as

Quote Originally Posted by etcts-v View Post
    Just a standard Duplicolor rattle can with a clear, if you're painting older lights you may want to hit is with a light coat of filler primer to fill in any scratches or pits.

Here are mine, Before:

AFTER:

I like halos, and though the interior of the headlights isn't gloss black like platinum_v's, it's a 90% solution

nikdsctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none

You can seperate the heads lights. Heat gun did nothing for me, but the over worked like a charm. I did it at 300 for 8 minutes. Then slowly and gently pry them apart! If it cools down too much throw em back in for a few. Also if you can support it in some way that it is not on the over rack. Also, if it is a small oven do not place it close to the heating element/area. Then take all of the round access port out (they melt easier). Lastly if you dont want to end up with a cracked lense, melter mounting tab, melted access panels, and grill marks like a steak, pony up the 210$ and buy those halos off ebay. Thats what I did.

D3l7a3ch0 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V Black-on-Black

i like that they come with bulbs

I'm still going to paint the edges. although the plastic is black, the bonded seams are grey.

etcts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V, 423 RWHP / 380 RWTQ
    Quote Originally Posted by nikdsctsv
    You can seperate the heads lights. Heat gun did nothing for me, but the over worked like a charm. I did it at 300 for 8 minutes. Then slowly and gently pry them apart! If it cools down too much throw em back in for a few. Also if you can support it in some way that it is not on the over rack. Also, if it is a small oven do not place it close to the heating element/area. Then take all of the round access port out (they melt easier). Lastly if you dont want to end up with a cracked lense, melter mounting tab, melted access panels, and grill marks like a steak, pony up the 210$ and buy those halos off ebay. Thats what I did.
    Were you able to seal your back up with no fogging? Couldn't get my factory ones to seal properly after I took them apart for the life of me.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.